RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,315
I tow the Chevy volt which probably weighs the same as the bronco so I donít think it would be a problem, you can also put the transfer case in neutral which really eliminates any drag, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
 
Kaufn Nailer's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1994 36' Classic 36
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
here's a timely thread on the filler leak:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...es-183439.html
This is great! Thanks!
Kaufn Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
 
Kaufn Nailer's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1994 36' Classic 36
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
Iíve got an uncut 69 I my shop that Iím hoping to pull behind my 95 360 some day. Dragging the jeep behind it now. That roof will clean right up. Mop some simple green on it and pressure wash it off. The factory caulk is very good but Iíve found a couple missing rivets.
They are great fun! Thanks for the roof advice!
Kaufn Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
I tow the Chevy volt which probably weighs the same as the bronco so I donít think it would be a problem, you can also put the transfer case in neutral which really eliminates any drag, Regards, Bob


With the Dana 20 in neutral only the output shaft turns. It doesnít pick up any lubrication. The drive shafts telescope in the middle. If the splines are loose they tend to jump rope when driven from the differential.

I was going to build up a full float rear axel with locking hubs.

Jeep really made it easy.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #25
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,955
Brad and I have been kicking around ideas for a work around for wheel down towing of a old convertible. Even manuals have issues as when towing wheels down, as the drive shaft turns the mainshaft, which spins the oil off the gears without picking up fresh oil from the pan. Means even 2wd, manuals should only be towed relatively short distances.

Brad came up with a DSC (drive shaft coupling, https://www.remcodsc.com/coupling/) made for auto trans but may equally work for preventing the axle cause the driveshaft to jump splines????
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Brad and I have been kicking around ideas for a work around for wheel down towing of a old convertible. Even manuals have issues as when towing wheels down, as the drive shaft turns the mainshaft, which spins the oil off the gears without picking up fresh oil from the pan. Means even 2wd, manuals should only be towed relatively short distances.

Brad came up with a DSC (drive shaft coupling, https://www.remcodsc.com/coupling/) made for auto trans but may equally work for preventing the axle cause the driveshaft to jump splines????


Getting a little off topic but there are electric oilers available that are pretty easy to install.

And on a related topic. Even towing your MoHo a short distance can cause damage to the transmission if you donít drop the drive shaft. Be familiar with the manual.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
 
Kaufn Nailer's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1994 36' Classic 36
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Roof clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
Iíve got an uncut 69 I my shop that Iím hoping to pull behind my 95 360 some day. Dragging the jeep behind it now. That roof will clean right up. Mop some simple green on it and pressure wash it off. The factory caulk is very good but Iíve found a couple missing rivets.
Thanks again for the advice! It turned out great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6CE7903-1E25-4863-ACAA-CE732A702F25.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	315691  
Kaufn Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 815
Wow, I had to go back and look at your original picture, that roof looks amazing..
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,442
Beautiful rig!!
__________________
1983 Airstream 310 Class A Motorhome
-Rob
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 97
Great looking rig!

Rowie has really good advice, though. That major tail-swing has led to more than one dent in the aluminum!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
2018 Atlas
Floyd , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 39
congrats on your new to you ride, labalope
labalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
Great looking rig!



Rowie has really good advice, though. That major tail-swing has led to more than one dent in the aluminum!


Iíve never really noticed it being much of an issue on my 360. The tail seems to follow the radius of the turn. Maybe the tag axle version is different. You do have to make sure your rear tire is abeam anything you are trying to turn past or itís pretty easy to cut the corner short.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Hanover , Maryland
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Wow! Amazing. Looks like a time capsule.
Oyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Mike1997's Avatar

 
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 605
Images: 14
Beautiful Airstream.....mine is identical interior but is a diesel pusher. Does it have the washer dryer option? If so, mine is vent-less dryer and takes forever to dry even a few small things. Vented is the way to go if you replace it.

Length has never been a problem for me, it was narrow roads that cause problems. Got boxed in by 3 semi's on the PA Turnpike in a construction zone at night...road got very narrow and shifted, I scrapped the guard rail on right side. It left a long black streak down my compartment doors and broke the docking light...could have been worse for sure. Another time I was on highway that had recently been paved and there was a huge drop in pavement height, it almost put me into a tailspin at an angle changing lanes.

Did you get a tow bar with it? Mine came with a Roadmaster and have used it with two different SUV's towed behind. I use the wireless magnet lights sold at Tractor Supply for rear lighting.

One last thing to watch is your marker lights over the windshield. They are prone to leaking so make sure to check and caulk them as a PM.

Hope to see you down the road!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
Iíve never really noticed it being much of an issue on my 360. The tail seems to follow the radius of the turn. Maybe the tag axle version is different. You do have to make sure your rear tire is abeam anything you are trying to turn past or itís pretty easy to cut the corner short.
The tag axle does make a difference, Kota. At least, that was our experience with our 1985 Classic 345. Our current rig, a 2001 Land Yacht 360XC (diesel pusher), has no tag. Even though it's longer than the 345, tail swing in the LY is not an issue.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member
 
Kaufn Nailer's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1994 36' Classic 36
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Beautiful Airstream.....mine is identical interior but is a diesel pusher. Does it have the washer dryer option? If so, mine is vent-less dryer and takes forever to dry even a few small things. Vented is the way to go if you replace it.

Length has never been a problem for me, it was narrow roads that cause problems. Got boxed in by 3 semi's on the PA Turnpike in a construction zone at night...road got very narrow and shifted, I scrapped the guard rail on right side. It left a long black streak down my compartment doors and broke the docking light...could have been worse for sure. Another time I was on highway that had recently been paved and there was a huge drop in pavement height, it almost put me into a tailspin at an angle changing lanes.

Did you get a tow bar with it? Mine came with a Roadmaster and have used it with two different SUV's towed behind. I use the wireless magnet lights sold at Tractor Supply for rear lighting.

One last thing to watch is your marker lights over the windshield. They are prone to leaking so make sure to check and caulk them as a PM.

Hope to see you down the road!!
Hi Mike,
We do not have the washer dryer option but I would love to see where it goes in your rig! We did not get the tow bar either but I plan to get one for the bronco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6D4733E2-006F-41EF-A145-536CACE1AB2A.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	316067   Click image for larger version

Name:	049E34A2-0A7A-41CC-A810-E28F92E4D18A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	316068  

Kaufn Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member
 
Kaufn Nailer's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1994 36' Classic 36
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
The awning!

Before I forget- the awning looks like it has never been opened!!! It is perfect with the exception of a little dirt at the front and rear...I am so excited about this thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E1B9D23-33B6-453D-835E-1FDFFA03FAD2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	316069  
Kaufn Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member
 
FishByFly's Avatar

 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 484
Donít forget to raise those tension arms on the awning. You maybe doing just a test pull but FYI.
__________________
FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' Safari FB - ďFly Fish InnĒ
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member
 
Kaufn Nailer's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1994 36' Classic 36
Lancaster , California
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Donít forget to raise those tension arms on the awning. You maybe doing just a test pull but FYI.
Yep. Took us a minute to figure it out, but we got there! It tightened up the top a little, even! Thanks!
Kaufn Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,587
Images: 1
Nice Rig!
Was the roof white from the factory or painted after???
__________________
My name is Steve.... and I am an Alumaholic!
Working in my Garage is like playing TETRIS with Tools!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Sweet Home deauxrite Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 7 11-19-2017 11:23 AM
Taking a two week trip Drake1949 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 4 07-24-2016 05:51 PM
Home away from home :: 2003 Airstream Safari fman88 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 09-14-2011 06:54 PM
Our Home Away From Home Bobz Hog 1965 - 1969 Overlander 34 09-06-2009 12:24 AM
A home away from home drjudy Member Introductions 8 10-31-2007 05:58 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.