Tag axle grease caps
After having so much fun recently with my tag axle when we returned from our last trip I noticed one of the grease caps decided to start a new life on it's own. Not a big problem I thought, next time in town I stopped at the local parts house and picked up a couple of caps. I figured 7000 lb. brakes so I got 7000 lb. caps. Imagine my surprise when they didn't fit.
After much time on the internet and calls to the local parts houses, they don't exist. My original caps are plastic and the hub measures 2.758". The caps I bought are called 2.722" and measure 2.728" leaving a .006" press fit. The next larger size is 3.125".
Running out of options I looked around the shop for some appropriate sized stock and found a chunk of bearing bronze. I turned the bore and drove it on the cap with some Loctite and turned the OD to fit. Problem solved.
It's certainly not earthshaking but I was surprised how odd some of this stuff is.
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~