Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Tag Axle Brakes??

Just got back from camping this weekend, campground was pretty crowded this time and noticed more than one person stopping to take a look at the ol 345, my neighbor talked to me awhile about it and mentioned he'd never seen an AS moho, but while looking at my tag axles, i noticed the brake wires had been cut, and my bearing cover on the passenger side had come off, so i pulled the wheel off to take a look.... everything looks pretty decent, i guess i will use a test like to see if the wires are getting power... but anyone know why these would be cut?? I guess maybe the controller could have gone?? I actually saw it the other day while roaming under the dash to fix my speedo cable, but didnt realize what it was at the time.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginping
Just got back from camping this weekend, campground was pretty crowded this time and noticed more than one person stopping to take a look at the ol 345, my neighbor talked to me awhile about it and mentioned he'd never seen an AS moho, but while looking at my tag axles, i noticed the brake wires had been cut, and my bearing cover on the passenger side had come off, so i pulled the wheel off to take a look.... everything looks pretty decent, i guess i will use a test like to see if the wires are getting power... but anyone know why these would be cut?? I guess maybe the controller could have gone?? I actually saw it the other day while roaming under the dash to fix my speedo cable, but didnt realize what it was at the time.
The P.O. may have cut the wires, and used the controller to operate the brakes on a toad or trailer.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I tend to agree with Terry's assessment however it makes me wonder why would do that. I thought brake controllers could handle multiple axles. Am I wrong here?

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
I tend to agree with Terry's assessment however it makes me wonder why would do that. I thought brake controllers could handle multiple axles. Am I wrong here?

Brad
Brad, the brakes on the trailer or toad could have been more or less sensitive than what was on the tag axle. One could have locked up, while the other didn't do a whole lot in the stopping department.
Then again, the controller may be bad, or there could be a short in a wire.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Terry, that makes sense. Wouldn't be to cool having your any of your brakes lock up! Your comment about a short in the wiring is also a strong possibility.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Hmm.. yeah i guess either could be true... got back from camping and by the time i got it all apart and spent some time with the gf... didnt leave me much daylight left to try and test the wires or see if the controller even works. I guess if the controller is bad, any controller could work right?? I have the one i used to use when i pulled my 5th wheel and could swap it then i guess. I dont think they used the wires for a toad, unless they spliced into them somewhere besides where they were cut, as the wires are still intact and right beside each other, just simply cut. Will try and look at it some more tomorrow... ah this weather is just so nasty and cold here lately.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Tag, Your It

I would connect them back up.
Find out if there is a problem, or just as you suspect, for a towd.
These mommas need all the brakes available.
Never seen one that was over braked.

I would add a controler for towd, like you would for a truck pulling something.
Good to have option to control towd brakes separtly.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Hey klattu, i saw where you replaced all of your brakes... i had a inner passenger side go flat, so when i had it repaired i checked out my drive axle brake and it was looking good. After i get the tags figured out im slowly working my way around to take all wheels off check the brakes, and polish my rims out.. i was looking at some of your pictures and was wondering did you buy new rear center caps?? Also does anyone know what bearings go in the tags?? or brakes on the tag axles?? or can i simply go to napa/auto zone and as for p30 bearings???
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Braking Out

I cleaned caps up and stuck flag in center.
Would like to find same in S/S, as chrome will rust someday.
Lug cover are new, round plastic from truck stop.

Grab a polishing kit off ebay for Airstreams, will make your rims looks like chrome!

Blead those lines...took me about 1 gallon to get back firm.
Rubber flex lines are pure evil.
They look like miss goody two shoes on outside, inside lurks chaos and mayhem.
Get new ones.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Yeah ive used a 6" ryobi buffer, with mothers polish, and then stopped in a truck stop and got some busch aluminum polish and it does great... ive got the outside edges looking good, pretty much like new really...since the moho came from florida.. they were pretty oxidixed, and the front wheels and bumpers came out amazing. I started polishing on the grill and it came out just like chrome as well... but havent had time to really finish. I put some chrome bars on my flaps as well to shine it up a little. Has anyone the alcoa brand wheel sealer????
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
finally got some time today and went out and checked out the tag brakes.... had no power running back to brakes with the standard controller, so i hooked up the the wires to a tekonsha manual controller i used to have in my tv... its a new model only 1 year old not sure which one though... just the basic one i guess, and my green light was lit, and when i squeezed the thumb control it turned red, and i taped it in that spot and went back and i could hear my magnets on both sides making noise.... however they either weren't grabbing the hub or my pads are too worn... but they dont look to bad. If i hit the foot brake... my controller would turn red then the light would go out altogether.. and this would happen really quick before the brake was even close to fully depressed.... anyone ever had this happen before??? I've never had any problems with electric brakes so im not exactly the best with them.... seems wierd i can use the thumb brake but not the foot brake... seems like a short somewhere but like i said i havent done much work with electric brakes.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I took the brake control loose and tilled it with test light on to see if mine worked, then I found one magnet wire broke at the magnet, both wires disconnected, cut and separated in a couple places. Finely got juice to go from the controller to the brake magnets. With the wife stepping on the brake for me, bang, the wheels wouldn't turn. Still don't have the braking power they used to have.
I think all my wiring problems were from having it in a frame shop. Seem like ever time I have to take it for work, I got to find all the stuff they screw up.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote