Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Steps

Well, the inevitable (given my usual level of foresight) has happened. I left the steps down (I think that they are 2 step kwikee's) and bent them (this, at least, I did really well) yesterday. Popped a rivet.

Does anyone know if the risers (the metal bars on the sides that hinge up/down) on these steps are steel, or aluminum? The rivets that attach them to the steps and to the plate are universally aluminum, and there is a composition washer as a spacer between.

My tool box didn't have a magnet in it--tonight.

Best,

R
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
When I was up to the Mother Ship a couple weeks ago noticed they have all kinds of step parts if you have to replace.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Steel or Aluminum

There are steel or aluminum.
The parts are available from Airstream or Inland maybe others as well.
I would not take a chance on a bolt shearing and a hip injury.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Our Kwikie 2 steps are all steel. We just put the unit in last year.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Well, the inevitable (given my usual level of foresight) has happened. I left the steps down (I think that they are 2 step kwikee's) and bent them (this, at least, I did really well) yesterday. Popped a rivet.
Ralley,

Don't feel alone here. I did the same thing with our previous SOB. I was readying the motorhome for a week long trip to start later that day and pulled away from our shop and hit a stump with the steps. I had to use a come-a-long to pull them back into a reasonable semblance of straight.

Very embarrassing to say the least

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I posted this on another forum site, but will paste to here...

Step relocation and increasing sputters...
[quote=ArStrm345LE] nice post. I actually would be interested to hear your techique.

Initially, it was really basic...first, I explored new combinations of old epithets. Then, I pulled forward over the stump I had backed over(though not reccomended, this is an effective way to remove old stumps...Kinda like removing a bad tooth when you were a kid). Then, I got out and went to the hot tub. about a week later, I drilled out all the rivet bolts, hammered the braces flat(sorta), took a long bar to the braces coming out of the motor housing, installed bolts, prayed to the Great Aluminum One, and flipped the switch. Nothing happened...till I remembered to turn the chassis battery switch back on. The step is about 3/4 inch out of kilter(gives it that 'homey' look), and checking the bolts is now part of my ever-expanding maintenance routine. I opted for regular bolts, as there are more stumps and other things out there, and I'm almost on a first-name basis with Murphy.
The unit has started to sputter more, so i will be replacing the rear fuel filter, again...someday, I suppose I will have to flush the tank, but for now, replacing the fuel filter is so much easier. I replaced the fuel pump with the spare that came with the unit, then found out it wasn't the pump...anyone with this problem should learn from me that testing the existing fuel pump is an obvious diagnostic tool that doesn't require removal...
mike
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
[quote=ScrapIrony-2]I posted this on another forum site, but will paste to here...

Step relocation and increasing sputters...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArStrm345LE
nice post. I actually would be interested to hear your techique.
I wouldn't exactly call it a technique! If I remember correctly the steps never did get used again after that. I didn't have time for repairs before the trip and so we started using a little stool to get in/out of the motorhome. When pulling it back into position with the come-a-long things got bent more and a couple of welds broke. My main goal was to be able to retract the steps so we could leave. We sold the SOB and ended up buying out 1984 310. Fortunately it has good steps.....for now

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We just had our Kwikee steps installed by a dealer and there is an override switch which brings the steps in when I forget and turn on the ignition. I was there for the installation and the installer wrestled with this feature for quite some time since our diesel ignition switch is different than a gasser ignition. He got it working and I am glad he did since I am known to drive away with Chummy plugged in , levelers up, and awning out.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Steps

I come from the aviation industry and I am beginning to think that with everything hanging out of RVs....ie...awnings...leveling jacks....steps...antennas....vent covers....etc... and along with us older RVer's depleting memory cells....Maybe it's time to start using a check list like pilots do ( or are suppose to). Nothing worse than to be driving down the highway....15 miles from the campsite....and say....Did I put the toilet drain hose back in the container or might I be dragging it down the highway. Ya know.....there's no way to first take that look around you to see if anyone wittnessed your dumb act....then act as if I MEANT to leave that thingamajing out.

Isn't RVing FUN
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by tn2
Maybe it's time to start using a check list like pilots do
The Airstream manual for our unit has a sample checklist in it - I thought it was quaint - maybe a better idea than first thought.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I have a bright orange index card taped to the dash with "DRAWERS CLOSED?
STEPS UP?"...cheesy, but so much cheaper than the alternate...I suspect that I will be adding to the list as the cranial cell numbers dwindle. I would really like to have one of those switches in the door frame...the PO (or someone) removed the original, apparently with a grinder, but was thoughtful enough to put silver duct tape over the hole. We have an annoying alarm for when I forget to lock the door, and I hate it, but I haven't driven off with the door open, yet...
mike
Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Lest y'all feel bad ...
Some time ago I had to back out of a wooded parking place. Taking up the approved position (head out window, neck twisted around to see backwards) I backed up ... not seeing the open bathroom window and extended driver side awning. Needless to say, they encountered a tree trunk almost immediately, with awesome consequences. Moral: Murphy is most definitely alive and well.
Empathetically,
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I don't feel bad, just adequately ignorant...mike
Old 09-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Checklists are only as good as the pilot using them. I for one will admit to going through the checklist and having the big fan turning up front. When I release the brake nothing happened. A little more power, ...wonder if the brakes are stuck?..... then as I popped up over the chocks I knew what I had forgotten. At least I had remembered to untie the little C150 from the tiedowns.

I had out of wack steps and went to the local Wal-Mart parking lot that was left abandoned by Wal-Mart when they moved to the new super center outside of town. They have these big congrete bollards up close to the doors that will allow you to anchor to the steps with a come-a-long. From there you can exert all the force required to fix some of the more minor alignment issues. Now as far as really mangled units it's sometimes nessesary to remove the unit or replace with new.....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
what model trailer do you have?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Checklists are only as good as the pilot using them. I for one will admit to going through the checklist and having the big fan turning up front. When I release the brake nothing happened. A little more power, ...wonder if the brakes are stuck?..... then as I popped up over the chocks I knew what I had forgotten. At least I had remembered to untie the little C150
Not as bad as forgetting to remove the gust locks from the elevators. Can be FATAL! WHOOPS! Or forgetting to untie the blades on a turbine Helicoptor. Full idle rpms and the blades aren't moving. Very embaressing.

I made up a check list which I hang from the rear view mirror in the motorhome. My wife was upset with the last item "Check wife and dog on board". Didn't like being listed with the dog I guess.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
My wife was upset with the last item "Check wife and dog on board". Didn't like being listed with the dog I guess.
you did point out that she was before the dog?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #18
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Didn't seem to matter. Women, how can you tell what little thing will upset them?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Update

I can (just) see that my predicament has provided the required amusement for all. A comment or two:

Although I prefer to think think I am not a complete dufus, I am unsure that a checklist would have made any difference. I walked completely around the vehicle, checking for loose hatches and doors, tie downs on the cargo carrier in the rear hitch, etc. What I failed to LISTEN FOR was the motor retracting the steps when I closed the door. Period. The only other thing I could have done was to adjust the shotgun side mirror to actually see if the steps were retracted once I got into the driver's seat, since the switch leaving the steps down was activated--ie., the steps were down, regardless of whether or not the door was closed. There is no warniing light if the switch is activated.

I was hot and tired. Fatigue will cause most failures.

I have managed, through too much effort, monkey wrenches, come-alongs, and big cheaters, etc. to get the steps to retract manually, although I don't think they will ever be pretty again without application of fire, anvil, and hammer. A family conference has determined that new steps should be purchased for safety and reliability. Suggestions as to a source, and reasonable price??

Best to all,

R
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking
Lest y'all feel bad ...
Some time ago I had to back out of a wooded parking place. Taking up the approved position (head out window, neck twisted around to see backwards) I backed up ... not seeing the open bathroom window and extended driver side awning. Needless to say, they encountered a tree trunk almost immediately, with awesome consequences. Moral: Murphy is most definitely alive and well.
Empathetically,
Jamie
This reminded me of a time several years ago when I was helping a friend with his hot dog truck at an event on the lake front in Milwaukee. After we were all done and had cleaned up I drove the hot dog truck back to his house. It was not until I was carefully backing it into his driveway that I realized the awning was still extended and the lights remained flashing all around. I drove through the city in this fashion. There were quite a few people waving at me and I thought it was just because I was driving the hot dog truck.