Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Glen and the semis

Quote:
"Tim has a point about the rig for sale. Nothing to do but find a very large parking lot, city block, or a real arm workout just to turn that 370 around."
Glen,

I could turn the 370 around in any space that is large enough for the space shuttle. Actually, if you saw the driveway I had to back the Blimp into, you would assume I was quite a driver. I even had to make an 'S' turn to get it back beside the garage. And all that was done in reverse! Next to pulling my 34 ft. trailer with my Suburban, the Blimp was a piece of cake.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tim, I'm sorry to see you've sold the Blimp, I hope it went to a good home.
Now, what the hell is that thing in your avatar? It's too small to make out clearly.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Tim, I'm sorry to see you've sold the Blimp, I hope it went to a good home.
Now, what the hell is that thing in your avatar? It's too small to make out clearly.
As I'm sure you can imagine, selling the Blimp was a tough, but necessary call. I loved it dearly, but our responsibilities to aging and ailing parents severely limit our travel time. Additionally, I was beginning to see the effects of having to store it outside. It went to a great home. A company bought it to use as a transport for VIP potential buyers of their products. They plan on a complete redo of the Plasti-coat exterior, and major interior upgrades of fabrics and things that were just simply getting rather long on the tooth at 17 years. Also, it will now live in an enclosed heated building, so I'm thankful it should see many more years of showing off it's unique qualities.

I take it you don't care for the replacement for the 370. That avatar is my new MoHo. Actually, it was some kind of early MoHo that I came across somewhere (probably from someone on this Forum), and I thought it would make a good transitional avatar from the 370. Since I don't own an Airstream now, I wasn't sure how an SOB, regardless of its quality of construction, would be welcomed on this Forum.
AIR # 5648
Old 10-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Smile Class Act

Steve,

I appreciate the endorsement, however undeserved it may be. Since one doesn't have to own an Airstream to be a member of this Forum, I wonder if it's OK to put an SOB (riveted aluminum, of course) as an avatar or profile picture? Not an issue to me, but it would let anyone checking out my profile know what I'm presently using.

I have serious doubts ANY of the MoHos will put my trailer. It weighs even more than our buddy with the 7,000 lb. racing Porshe and trailer!

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 10-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Steve,

I appreciate the endorsement, however undeserved it may be. Since one doesn't have to own an Airstream to be a member of this Forum, I wonder if it's OK to put an SOB (riveted aluminum, of course) as an avatar or profile picture? Not an issue to me, but it would let anyone checking out my profile know what I'm presently using.

I have serious doubts ANY of the MoHos will put my trailer. It weighs even more than our buddy with the 7,000 lb. racing Porshe and trailer!

Best,
Tim here is an avatar from a currently active forums member, and former Airstream owner:

I don't care what your avatar looks like, or even if you have one, as long as you participate--and don't mind the occasional snarky remark about your SOB...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Tim here is an avatar from a currently active forums member, and former Airstream owner:

I don't care what your avatar looks like, or even if you have one, as long as you participate--and don't mind the occasional snarky remark about your SOB...
Terry,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Snarky remarks about my SOB won't bother me at all. I just have a great time posting and reading on here, and I think I still have things to contribute from my 30+ years of trailering, not to mention that I'm still learning all the time. I definitely plan to participate, and I'll see about the avatar picture as time goes by. I sort of thought the transitional one of a seriously "challenged" 370 would make a good way to pull back from the Blimp. Just didn't seem right to keep the Blimp picture up when I didn't have it any more. The new avatar has a sort of Darth Vader look, don't you think?
AIR # 5648
Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
The new avatar has a sort of Darth Vader look, don't you think?
Maybe more of a "Lord Dark Helmet" look...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Slight topic change

Terry,

Is there really such a place as "Hurricane" Florida? If so, aren't you a little concerned by that? I mean, Florida gets enough hurricanes without using it as a place name.
AIR # 5648
Old 10-31-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry,

Is there really such a place as "Hurricane" Florida? If so, aren't you a little concerned by that? I mean, Florida gets enough hurricanes without using it as a place name.
There are no less than 6 places with "hurricane" in the name...
Hurricane Bay, FL
Hurricane Branch, FL
Hurricane Creek, FL
Hurricane Harbor, FL
Hurricane Key, FL
Hurricane Pass, FL

Hurricane Bay is 12 miles from our house.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
There are no less than 6 places with "hurricane" in the name...
Hurricane Bay, FL
Hurricane Branch, FL
Hurricane Creek, FL
Hurricane Harbor, FL
Hurricane Key, FL
Hurricane Pass, FL

Hurricane Bay is 12 miles from our house.
Now I know the biggest reason you have an Airstream. One way to get out of town in a hurry. Actually, we have our share of hurricanes in southeast VA. Our problem is there are so many people living here and only 3 roads out, two of which flood if there's enough rain. Great planners up this way.
AIR # 5648
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Now I know the biggest reason you have an Airstream. One way to get out of town in a hurry. Actually, we have our share of hurricanes in southeast VA. Our problem is there are so many people living here and only 3 roads out, two of which flood if there's enough rain. Great planners up this way.
I evacuated with our Argosy for hurricane Charly in 2004. I loaded and left in under an hour when the storm made an unexpected turn toward our house. It made landfall about 20 miles North of here.
Okay, whose trailer is in your avatar now?
We probably should stop hijacking this thread, and get our own...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
You're right about the thread hijacking, so this is it for me. New avatar is my current trailer.
AIR # 5648
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
How bout some pics of your Progress?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

From the looks of that trailer, you are going to need a Tank to safely get it down the road. Is there a thread for tanks?

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Tim,

From the looks of that trailer, you are going to need a Tank to safely get it down the road. Is there a thread for tanks?

Steve
Yeh, look under "Towing a 370 if it breaks down on the highway".
AIR # 5648
Old 11-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Yeh, look under "Towing a 370 if it breaks down on the highway".
Hey, I have something that would tow that trailer, send it down, and I'll give it a good home. I will hold it, and I will love it, and I will call it George...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Hey, I have something that would tow that trailer, send it down, and I'll give it a good home. I will hold it, and I will love it, and I will call it George...
Sure appreciate the generous offer, but Tim's Tank does a great job pulling the Silver Palace down the road. Actually weighs only 950 lbs more than the 30' trailer it will be replacing. Interested in the 30 footer? Same brand, perfect shape, and seriously a classic in its own right.
AIR # 5648
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Sure appreciate the generous offer, but Tim's Tank does a great job pulling the Silver Palace down the road. Actually weighs only 950 lbs more than the 30' trailer it will be replacing. Interested in the 30 footer? Same brand, perfect shape, and seriously a classic in its own right.
That is an Avion, isn't it? The only thing I have against Avion is they are no longer made, eventually parts will be very hard to come by.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
That is an Avion, isn't it? The only thing I have against Avion is they are no longer made, eventually parts will be very hard to come by.
Terry,

What parts are those? Tried to find windows or tail lights for a 52 year old Airstream or priced vent covers?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Parts and Prices

Actually, there really aren't any particular problems with parts so far. "Standard" RV things were used extensively in their construction, so only the skin, frames, cabinetry, and sub-structure are 'unique'. Everything else can be gotten in lots of places. Fortunately, a company with relatives from the founders (back in the 1950s) bought all the dyes, etc. when Fleetwood closed the doors. One can have any repair to the coach, up to a complete makeover down to the frame, by going to this facility in MI. Obviously, things are going to happen as time passes, but certainly no more so than for any vintage trailer - thankfully.
AIR # 5648