Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Slide Out Storage Bin

The drivers side storage has always been wet inside even though I sealed it, replaced the steel on the drawer, I believe it is condensation. It will be stored for months and moisture will get in. The only difference between the other drawers that don't get wet is the lid. There is an additional aluminum panel riveted to the lid with an airgap, picture attached; I don't know if that causes moisture to condense. Does anyone know why this drawer has this extra piece of aluminum and what the purpose is and are you having the same issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	160184  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
The drivers side storage has always been wet inside even though I sealed it, replaced the steel on the drawer, I believe it is condensation. It will be stored for months and moisture will get in. The only difference between the other drawers that don't get wet is the lid. There is an additional aluminum panel riveted to the lid with an airgap, picture attached; I don't know if that causes moisture to condense. Does anyone know why this drawer has this extra piece of aluminum and what the purpose is and are you having the same issue?

Additional information for clarification. I could not modify my post since it has exceeded the 30 minute limit.

The drivers side storage has always been wet inside even though I sealed it and replaced the steel on the drawer, there are no cracks in the plastic surround and I sealed all of the rivets and placed an extra seal on the inside of the lid; I believe it is condensation. It will be stored for months and moisture will get in. The only difference between the other drawers that don't get wet is the lid. There is an additional aluminum panel riveted to the lid with an airgap, picture attached; I don't know if that causes moisture to condense. The reason I believe it is condensation is that the whole inside of the lid is so wet that water runs off when I raise the lid. Does anyone know why this drawer has this extra piece of aluminum and what the purpose is and are you having the same issue? I can always remove that extra piece of aluminum if that is the cause, since it is only riveted in place. The motorhome is stored outside and is subject to the normal temperature changes.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Don't feel bad, I took mine out last year, sealed everything (I thought) and it STILL leaks! I've got it narrowed-down to the outside flange in two places. The plan is to rough it up, hit it with MEK and try Vulkem caulk. I really don't want to take the whole slider out again, but it's worthless for storage, right now.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I just fixed this (I think) on ours. I caulked the joint where the curved sheet that forms the outside of the drawer meets the flat sheet that forms the top of the drawer, and afterwards it was dry inside the drawer after a rain for the first time. Will know for sure when I see it again in October. The joint had been caulked before but there were visible gaps.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my '83, 310 when I had it, the smaller passenger side slide out drawer always was wet inside, along with everything in it. The larger one on the drivers side stayed dry, but I only had leveling lumber in it. Of course the battery compartment with all the ventilation was always dry. But I never did figure out why the passenger side compartment was always wet.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I would look for underside...My tools that go in that drawer(at least 60 pounds worth) are all chromed to prevent rust, but the bag molds)...chances are it's a back seal failure or simply a wet drive leak on the bottom...you can expend Vulkrem to your budget, but laying out paper towels and driving in a driving rain will find the input of water...then you will know where the issue is...we'll be waiting to solve this...I have used a LOT of goop, laid down shower mats, and used the always-friendly pool tubes(sealed foam) for support...sometimes, the easiest solution is not only cheap, it works...my '95 Nissan Maxima toad has a large hole under the trunk well...it has about 8 inches of pink 'noodle' stuffed through it...looks kinda like a dildo from the back view, but it has kept our trunk dry...and disapproving folks are behind us...haven't been pulled over for suggestive display yet...it's just that sometimes the solution is simpler than the supply folks would have you read it...hey, try your mind, ignore the catcalls, and if it works, a thumb on your nose will work just as well...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Thanks for all the input and thoughts. I replaced all of the sheetmetal except for the sides. Caulked all the seams and there are no holes anywhere that haven't been caulked. The motorhome can be dried out and sit for months, will have no moisture on top or any where else on the outside but when I open the lid the complete inside of the lid will be wet and dripping water. The only conclusion is moisture. I am tempted to put vents in or a pan under the lid with a drain hole that goes through the bottom of the storage unit. I am still trying to understand the purpose of the additional piece of aluminum that is riveted to the underside of the lid, none of the other compartments have this.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Just an update, this morning I went out and opened the lid. It was slightly damp, I could rub my hand across it and my hand would be wet. This was after I dried it all day yesterday with fans and sun. We had no rain yesterday or overnight but the temperature dropped from a high of 70 to a low of 45 this morning. I believe this confirms my condensation theory.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I am currently working on all of the storage containers trying to clean them out and reorganize. I mispoke regarding no other storage slide outs having this douple lid configuration. The passenger side has this also but that storage container is dry. The only difference is the passenger side is constantly in the shade since it is against my garage vs. the other side that gets wet that sees the sun during the day.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you have a lot of metal in the storage compartment which is getting wet, the mass of it can cool and become kind of a magnet to moisture from condensation. As the temp rises, the moisture will condense on the colder metal in the compartment like water on a cold glass. So, your condensation theory may well be the real cause. As I think back to my 310, the wet compartment on the passenger side was where I stored my jacks and other metal things, while the dry compartment on the drivers side only was used to store leveling wood.

I can't recall any metal parts such as you show on your lids on mine.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
The only items stored in that compartment is hoses and electrical cords. Both are either rubber or vinyl coated, should not be an issue for conducting cold.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Gunner...
I know your problem...

Here is my experience and solution...
Now... I have not driven my M/H since I did this mod, but I have not seen any water inside the drawer.

The water gets in the drawer from running down the bodyside.
It is then drawn into the gap at the top of the drawer by capillary action.
It runs down the inside wall, onto the OVERFILLED sealant in the channel, and then onto the lid, where it finds any screw heads or cracks in the ABS lid, and drops inside!

First thing is to put a small seal at the top of the drawer lip, like this, to stop/minimise water running down the bodyside and being drawn into the gap. Flip the ends down to allow it to escape.

Next, chisel, hack use Nukes on this band of sealant that is against the aluminum wall...

You want to have the full depth of that channel back that is below all that gunk.

You can see all the cracks and splits I had in my ABS lid... I fixed them with ABS/MEK slurry...

Also had to patch weld a couple of holes, but then I redid my drawers with Hurculiner, and I like the way its looking..

I have found that I get NO water inside my modded drawer, and even the one I have not put the lid back on has stayed dry because of that tiny lip seal and a another I put on the drawer top to simulate the channel until I put the lid back
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I will add the seal along the back side of the aluminum front and the seal between the aluminum front and the plastic top of the drawer; I believe everything else I have sealed. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I would suggest a water line pressure check...relatively cheap, and mentally satisfying if it holds pressure. The extra piece of aluminum flashing is supposed to prevent road splash from shorting out the solenoids...it does appear to work well, but the negative side is it will wear on the battery cables until they ground out on the chassis...I have found this to be a rude, shocking experience...duct tape to the rescue. I would advise battery disconnection prior to tape repair, as the limited space under the coach can(and in my case, DID) result in an angry forehead wound when I involuntarily tried to raise the coach with said forehead...and, no, I didn't successfully raise it, but after the pain and indignity subsided, I found that electroshock therapy does leave you on your front porch in a mellower mood...well, maybe the beer helped...the rust will not go away on its own, and sourcing it will be a pain, but it HAS to be addressed...wicking is a likely source, but if it's occurring in dry conditions, then water leak from somewhere is the most likely culprit...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I placed weatherstripping close to the top on the inside of the aluminum front to keep water from running down the side of the motorhome and on top of the slide compartment. There was already plenty of caulking between the aluminum front and the plastic cover of the compartment. There are no water lines at that location; the compartment is directly below the dining table and benches. I will be going camping for the first time next week so I will see if I still get an accumulation of water in this compartment since I will be getting into this compartment more often.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
The point I am trying to make is you need LESS caulk at that point so that it forms a gutter, and runs away.
They were overfilled at the factory, and it negated the whole design!

I knew I had a pic showing better what I was trying to explain...
Here it is...

Blue line is what happens, putting water ON the plasic lid.
Red is what should happen..

Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I understand what you are saying, I will check again and modify if I find it not to my satisfaction and is not similiar to yours.
Thanks,