Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2020, 01:21 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Inland RV sucks.....nuff said. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Does anyone know if Inland RV is still doing business? I wanted to buy some of the window gasketing from them because they supposedly sell by the foot, but have not been able to get a reply. I called and the message said that because of Covid, they aren't dealing with voice messages and requested email. I've emailed twice and it's been over 3 weeks with no reply.
I ordered things from them in August, tried getting in touch multiple times, I only finally got a response 6 weeks later after having my credit card company reverse the charge. Then, all of the sudden my package ships the next day and I get a call from the owner asking why I didn't call before going to the credit card company, seriously. And she blames all her incompetence on covid. Just steer clear.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies, Magnet18 and BobMiller1. I was hoping that maybe it was just a fluke that I didn't get a response from Inland RV. Sounds like that isn't the case. It's really a shame that the business isn't being responsive. Inland used to be the go-to place for parts. Oh well, guess if I want the window material by-the-foot, I need to go to Out of Doors Mart. A bit more expensive on price than Inland had listed, but at least there is a better chance of actually getting it! I'm only doing the front/cockpit windows for now so don't want to buy rolls. Thanks to all that replied with info on the cockpit sliders too.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Try Vintage Gasket Supply, Walnut Ca or Vintage Trailer Supply also.

Inland is really struggling these days. They likely still have plenty of stock but just can't get the hang of customer service. Let's see what happens after covid is not part of the equation.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:03 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Inland had a problem well before the covid situation......another classic case of making money by mistake. Iím not sure if the female that operates Inland is or was related to Andy, but about the only thing they were good at was taking orders. When Andy left or retired, so did the knowledge and service. From false advertising ( IE....showing a picture of an OE washer reservoir and then sending out a $4.00 Advanced Auto universal washer reservoir and claiming that it is the replacement).....just terrible service.....just write them off as if they donít exist. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

Ok, so I purchased the schlegle, trim seal, and vertical lip for 3 different sources (came out less expensive even with shipping than going from a single source). Thanks for suggestions on distributors. I just realized that I failed to order the Fin Seal. Vintage Trailer Supply is out of it (#VTS-277). Couldn't find it at Out-of-Doors Mart or vintage trailer gaskets. I think the part number is 685045. I found it here: https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...h-ln-ft-685045
But that part doesn't have built in adhesive. Anyone know if this is the correct material or have an alternate source? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:38 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I think that's right, install with the 3m adhesive
Old 01-05-2021, 02:59 AM   #108
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I seem to remember that on some models the fin seal slides into a channel, in some there is no channel so it sticks to the front face of the frame. I guess this is a single source to be used on both by using 3M VHB tape when needed.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I seem to remember that on some models the fin seal slides into a channel, in some there is no channel so it sticks to the front face of the frame. I guess this is a single source to be used on both by using 3M VHB tape when needed.
I used 3m part number 08008
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:27 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

Not sure if I should have started a new thread or just added my questions here, but I went with here.

I purchased all of the materials that I “think” I need to get the gaskets/seals re-done on our ’78 Argosy Motorhome. I’ve printed out many of the various forum threads, and am following guy99’s instructions in this thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...all-18806.html We have a dry and warm weekend coming up and I’m hoping to tackle at least the passenger side cockpit slider. I’ve read this instructions numerous times, checked out what we currently have installed and want to be ready. As such, I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

1) Guy99’s instructions say that for the fuzzy schlegle, it should be glued down with super weather strip adhesive.
a. Should the adhesive be applied to the entire length, or just the ends and corners?
b. Also, what recommendation do folks have on the best adhesive?
2) For the Vertical Lip install, guy99 made a reference to the fact that the first material he installed was not bushy enough and had to re-install. Are the VTS-129 (Vintage Trailer Supply) / 684919 (Out of Doors Mart) items the proper material, i.e. busy enough?
3) For the Trim Seal - In Item #39 of the tread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...s-83320-2.html Andy said that in production, Airstream trimmed off some of the trim seal that rides on the glass in the area of the 2 radius corners – to eliminate the pucker. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?
4) And lastly, at least for now, above I had asked a question regarding the adhesive for the Fin Seal and was given a couple of Items #108 & #109. But after reading through the various threads, I never did find instructions on installing the Fin Seal (VTS-277/34681), i.e. where is it actually placed? We don’t have anything like this installed on our cockpit windows currently.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #111
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Belle,
A couple of suggestions:
1. The best adhesive I found is 3M Plastic and emblem adhesive. It is clear, very strong and dries fast. The black 3m weatherstrip adhesive works too, but is really messy to work with and not as strong as the decal adhesive
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3082148&rt=rud

2. The vertical lipseal https://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?...rg9o678fahbl14 is as Guy99 points out almost impossible to install. It was installed prior to the window assembly, so there is no easy way to get it in that narrow channel. Look at my picture for a solution to get it installed. Remember these are my personal solutions and I dont want to encourage anyone to do things that may endangered the Glass.
3. The Motorhome window seal https://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?...rg9o678fahbl14 needs to be installed very rich, since it will shrink in the first summer.
4. The best track seal I found is AS1268 https://jjautofabrics.com/as1268-all...ow-channel-96/ It needs to be sliced in the back to fit snug into the curve of the channel. Only the 1268 pictures in the link will work, not a substitute with a different profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapVerticalSeal.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	389451  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Peter! I've printed out the info that you provided. Much appreciated.

So for #1 - the question still remains - do I glue the whole thing or only corners/ends?

For #4:
I did already buy the Schlegle (1268) that you suggest above, but for #4, I was referring to what is called the "Fin Seal" - 34681 or VTS-277 - that was listed in a table that someone provided that gave the part numbers and lengths of all needed gaskets. I can't find instructions for how and where to install that (3' for each cockpit window).

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #113
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Peter! I've printed out the info that you provided. Much appreciated.

So for #1 - the question still remains - do I glue the whole thing or only corners/ends?
Ok, now I got your question for #1, which is the 1268. Do not use the plastic and emblem adhesive for the 1268. Its too strong for that. 3M black weather stripping works just fine and I only put it in the beginning, end and corners. Some people glue the entire thing and its hell to get out later.

Quote:
For #4:
I did already buy the Schlegle (1268) that you suggest above, but for #4, I was referring to what is called the "Fin Seal" - 34681 or VTS-277 - that was listed in a table that someone provided that gave the part numbers and lengths of all needed gaskets. I can't find instructions for how and where to install that (3' for each cockpit window).

Thanks!

thats the fuzzy thats inbetween the glass, look at my picture of the notch and you will see the old fuzzy . Thats what you use the 3m Plastic and emblem adhesive for. Sorry for the confusion
AIR #13
Old 02-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

"thats the fuzzy thats inbetween the glass, look at my picture of the notch and you will see the old fuzzy . Thats what you use the 3m Plastic and emblem adhesive for. Sorry for the confusion"

I thought the picture was of the Vertical Lip seal (684919)? Or do both go in the same place?

Maybe I'm not using the correct descriptions (but am taking them from that list I referred to):

My questions:

#1 was for the (fuzzy) Schlegle (AS2368) - I think that is answered.

#2 was for the Vertical Lip Seal (684919) - Not sure if this has been answered as I'm not sure which your picture refers to.

#3 was for Trim Seal (685044) - Andy said to trim off some of the seal to eliminate the pucker - Wondered if anyone tried this with success. This question still remains unanswered.

#4 was for the Fin Seal (Inland #34681 or VTS-277) - no instructions given anywhere as to how/where to install. I did get the info on the adhesive.

Sorry to be such a pain about this, but I want to be ready when I physically tackle the job.

Again, thanks so much for all of the help.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #115
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
"thats the fuzzy thats inbetween the glass, look at my picture of the notch and you will see the old fuzzy . Thats what you use the 3m Plastic and emblem adhesive for. Sorry for the confusion"

I thought the picture was of the Vertical Lip seal (684919)? Or do both go in the same place?

Maybe I'm not using the correct descriptions (but am taking them from that list I referred to):

My questions:

#1 was for the (fuzzy) Schlegle (AS2368) - I think that is answered.

#2 was for the Vertical Lip Seal (684919) - Not sure if this has been answered as I'm not sure which your picture refers to.

#3 was for Trim Seal (685044) - Andy said to trim off some of the seal to eliminate the pucker - Wondered if anyone tried this with success. This question still remains unanswered.

#4 was for the Fin Seal (Inland #34681 or VTS-277) - no instructions given anywhere as to how/where to install. I did get the info on the adhesive.

Sorry to be such a pain about this, but I want to be ready when I physically tackle the job.

Again, thanks so much for all of the help.

Use the ODMRV descriptions, I provided.
2.Vertical lip seal goes as the name says vertically and my picture shows an alternative method to get it installed. On the Airstream MH 79 and on its also used on all the sliding windows. Brad may have a better answer on how that applies to the Argosys.
3.What you refer to as Trim seal, is called Window trim seal at ODMRV and is only used in the cockpit windows. I never cut the corners because it does not seal good anyway and shrinks terribly. Its just a poor design. Cutting the corner may help for a while, until it shrinks and then cuts are no longer in the corners, haha.
4.As for the Fin seal or VTS -277, it is installed next the vertical leap seal to act as a sweep/seal between the glass. (ee pictures) Again, maybe Brad can chime in if they were installed on the Argosys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210227_122240_resized.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	389465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227_122244_resized.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	389466  

AIR #13
Old 02-27-2021, 12:46 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Peter! I think I've got it. I'm only doing the Cockpit windows as we never open the others. May tackle those at a later time, but right now cockpit only.

Brad - if you have anything to add for the Argosy application, please do chime in.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Ok, got the old seals, gaskets, fuzzy stuff out of the passenger cockpit window. Still need to do a bit of cleaning but started to look at dry-fits for pieces. I'm not sure if the Fin seal that I purchased was correct. VTS is and has been out of stock for the VTS-277. Inland is non-responsive. So what I ordered was based on inlands part number 34681. They have the corresponding MFG number as: 685045. I did a search and found it on HighSky RV Products here:
https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...h-ln-ft-685045
It looks like the right stuff, but it slides into the vertical channel pretty easily and I don't think it's going to do much good, just like Guy99 said - that the fuzzy wasn't tall enough and he ended up going back to Inland. But that doesn't appear to be an option. VTS-277 is listed as 5/32" pile height, as is the highsky RV version that I purchased. But it just doesn't look like it will do much good as it doesn't extend very far beyond the metal. Can anyone provide links to where to buy it? I don't want to go through the entire exercise only to find out that I've got to re-do my windows.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I couldn't find the vertical fin seal for the cockpit windows when I did mine a few months ago, ended up cleaning my old ones up and reinstalling
Old 03-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #119
2 Rivet Member

Well, in trying to install the Vertical Lip that we purchased from Vintage Trailer Supply, found that it is not the same as the original, nor will it work. I ordered the VTS-129 (and that's what I received) based on the info in one of the lists from here and turns out the wing/fin curves the wrong way and also the base is of a different dimension. See attached picture. I have just ordered the 684919 from Out of Doors Mart. Hopefully it's correct and gets here before the rain does!

Hind sight - should have read the comment from another purchaser: "Wouldn't recommend till the design changes . The flap that slides on against the stationary window has the wrong angle . allowing water, bugs , dust in."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	684919_VTS-129.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	389653  
Old 03-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks Peter! I think I've got it. I'm only doing the Cockpit windows as we never open the others. May tackle those at a later time, but right now cockpit only.

Brad - if you have anything to add for the Argosy application, please do chime in.

Thanks!
Peter pretty much covered everything. The only other comment I would make is don't be surprised if you have to tweek the cockpit window frames, especially on the passenger side to get it to close properly. I'm still not happy with how my passenger cockpit window closes. I tried the wrong profile of the stuff Peter recommends and it was a disaster. I then bought the original steel wrapped style and it works, kinda. I have since purchased the correct profile track that Peter recommends and plan on installing it this spring.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote