Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
Peter - once again THANK YOU. This is a big help. All the gasket/trim was replaced back in '97, but everything is so brittle again and trying to close a window once we do manage to get one opened is a real chore - can't ever seem to do it securely enough to avoid water getting in when it rains. It's beyond time that we fix them.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
t7389sg's Avatar
 
1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 222
Images: 2
Shouldn't this amazing post be in Keyair's sticky?
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
 
1978 Argosy 24
St Petersurg , Florida
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
You can do all of this work from the outside, NO NEED to remove curtains!!
Remove the alu spacers and gently pry the window open, just enough to reveal a gray spacer under the window, which is just a spacer during installation and does not serve any other function. Pull it out and push down on the window with both hands until you just have enough space on the top to pull the window out. Set the window aside and replace the gray slide in seal, if needed.
Greetings! We are the proud new owners of a 1978 Argosy MH. It has window issues. Thank you for sharing this info. I have never worked on windows like this so I am not sure I am on the right "track". I have a few questions. First of all I do not see the screws on my rig shown in the pics above. I have a included a few pics of my windows. The outer seal on the fixed pane seems OK for now. But the lip/trim seals are in poor shape on almost all of the windows. The schlegles/felt channels are rusty and are coming out in a few places so I think all of the felt needs replaced too. Do I have to remove the fixed pane window to replace the trim/lip seals? It does not look like it to me, and if I am not removing the fixed pane I can just remove the felt from the inside and lip/trim seals from the outside, and this will give me enough room to drop out the sliding window and screen from the inside? Or will I have to remove the channel underneath? If so, can I remove the channel without removing the fixed pane window?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160909_132516.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	271316   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160909_132531.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	271317  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160909_132545.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	271318  
Airhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,871
Airhed, the Argosy windows are assembled somewhat differently than the coach that Peter was working on. For starters the Argosies don't seem to use the gray plastic track. I have not yet rebuilt my Argosy side window so I can't give any specific advice.

I think Peter previously owned an Argosy, possibly he knows what the specific differences are.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
They obviously changed the windows in 79. Your 78 Argosy appears to have a glass sliding window with the same seals used in all the classics in the cockpit windows. So the seals are all available, getting them in is another story.
The vertical one can painfully slow be inserted with a small flat blade screwdriver an 1/8" at a time.
I seriously doubt that you can remove the fixed panel, but I never owned an Argosy.
Sorry, not much help here either.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
 
1978 Argosy 24
St Petersurg , Florida
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5
Can you tell by looking at these windows if they use the same seals/felt that can be found in the links that you shared Peter?
Airhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #27
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhed View Post
Can you tell by looking at these windows if they use the same seals/felt that can be found in the links that you shared Peter?
I let you decide. The one on the right is the vertical seal on Motorhome cockpit windows,
VERTICAL LIP SEAL GRAY #6010-12 MOTORHOME SLIDING WINDOW
the middle appears to be your wrap around and the one on the left is obviously the schlaegle felt replacement, which can be ordered in different sizes on the site I shared. This has a width of 3/8", if I remember correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seals.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	271384  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
 
1978 Argosy 24
St Petersurg , Florida
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5
Also, I don't think my screens use this stuff:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=641

It looks to me like my screens use the same felt track as the slider window, and I will need to install 2 of the felt channels side by side per window.

http://www.hitechglazing.com/product/40059/301412

Does that sound right? The channels that are in there look exactly like the Schlagel that you strongly recommended against using so I plan on using what you recommend.

Also it looks like to install the seals you just jam/wedge the seals into a track. Do they need to be adhered somehow? If so, what adhesive should I use and where exactly on the seals do I apply it? Or do I apply the adhesive into the track where the seals jam into? I am not very good with adhesives and am worried about making a big mess.
Airhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #29
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhed View Post
Also, I don't think my screens use this stuff:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=641
looks right to me, you can cut the width. But not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhed View Post
It looks to me like my screens use the same felt track as the slider window, and I will need to install 2 of the felt channels side by side per window.

http://www.hitechglazing.com/product/40059/301412

Does that sound right? The channels that are in there look exactly like the Schlagel that you strongly recommended against using so I plan on using what you recommend.
I have been usuing the hitech stuff for 16+ years with good success. The schlaegle is twice the price, it rusts and it usually makes it harder to operate the windows. Just follow my instructions and cut the back every 1/2" or so at the curves



Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhed View Post
Also it looks like to install the seals you just jam/wedge the seals into a track. Do they need to be adhered somehow? If so, what adhesive should I use and where exactly on the seals do I apply it? Or do I apply the adhesive into the track where the seals jam into? I am not very good with adhesives and am worried about making a big mess.
get a couple of tubes of 3M 08008 black Super Weatherstrip adhesive
and squeeze a light bead in the track. Keep moving around the track. Once you pull it out it wants to make a messy string. I use very little to avoid the mess. Just make sure your track is nice and clean and dry.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #30
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I let you decide. The one on the right is the vertical seal on Motorhome cockpit windows,
VERTICAL LIP SEAL GRAY #6010-12 MOTORHOME SLIDING WINDOW
the middle appears to be your wrap around and the one on the left is obviously the schlaegle felt replacement, which can be ordered in different sizes on the site I shared. This has a width of 3/8", if I remember correctly
The two grey seals are what I used in Bella's windows. The Schlegle was replaced by AS NE so I'm not sure where they sourced it from. I would say the seal that simply pushes into the outer channel appears to serve no function other than encourage water to say outside the channel, but even if it gets in the channel it comes out of the weep holes. I guess it also stops crud building up in the channel. One thing AS NE didn't do but I have seen others have is cut the Schlegle as it goes around the bends to stop it puckering up....I wish they had, but they are supposed to be the Airstream repair shop!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #31
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The two grey seals are what I used in Bella's windows. The Schlegle was replaced by AS NE so I'm not sure where they sourced it from. I would say the seal that simply pushes into the outer channel appears to serve no function other than encourage water to say outside the channel, but even if it gets in the channel it comes out of the weep holes. I guess it also stops crud building up in the channel. One thing AS NE didn't do but I have seen others have is cut the Schlegle as it goes around the bends to stop it puckering up....I wish they had, but they are supposed to be the Airstream repair shop!

Martin,
The more expensive Schlegle pushed by Airstream dealers with the metal inside can not be cut at the corners, hence the increased difficulty operating the windows ..
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #32
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Martin,
The more expensive Schlegle pushed by Airstream dealers with the metal inside can not be cut at the corners, hence the increased difficulty operating the windows ..
I guess I will have to live with the 'puckers' then Peter!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I have been using this for many years:
AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
Its cheaper than the Schlegle material Airstream dealers sell and makes the windows operate much easier. Just don't forget to cut the drain holes.
The other vertical seals are available from Airstream dealers
Peter,
Do you know if this product you mentioned will work on all of the windows on a 1977 Argosy 28 motorhome?

Thanks,
Ashley
__________________
~GypsyRose~
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Cor 10:13
Gypsyrose15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #34
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrose15 View Post
Peter,
Do you know if this product you mentioned will work on all of the windows on a 1977 Argosy 28 motorhome?

Thanks,
Ashley
I think Brad said he ordered some for his 74 Argosy coach windows, so I would say yes. Maybe Brad can chime in?
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I think Brad said he ordered some for his 74 Argosy coach windows, so I would say yes. Maybe Brad can chime in?
Got your PM Peter!

Yep, ordered some for my Argosy and Peanut as well. They fits just fine in the cockpit windows and I'm sure it will work just as well in the side slider windows.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 15
Window Felt + Channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Once again, I am redoing the Window channel inserts on my 310.
As I have posted many times, I do not use the Schlegle, Airstream dealers sell. It's expensive and starts rusting in short order and it makes the windows operate extremely hard.
I have used this for many years:
AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
It appears to be the OEM product used when these windows were assembled.
Also, use extreme care to NOT break the little screws that hold the stationary window in place. You HAVE to reuse the u-shape spacers or your window will not operate properly and/or scrape the glass with the lock. When reinstalling, I am using 4 mm 5/16 alu pop rivets. They are just the right size to not interfer with the sliding window on the inside. The next owner will thank you!!
Peter, so do we purchase the felt and the channel you recommended?
__________________
~GypsyRose~
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Cor 10:13
Gypsyrose15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #37
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrose15 View Post
Peter, so do we purchase the felt and the channel you recommended?
All you need is the
1. AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
which we found to be also available from US suppliers
2. 4 mm 5/16 alu pop rivets from Home depot if you replace the screws with rivets
3. 3M Black weatherstripping adhesive for the corners (I only glue the corners after I slice them on the back as explained)
4. small hand tools and lots of time and patience to disassemble the windows and clean out the tracks
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
Waipio Rim's Avatar
 
1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Once again, I am redoing the Window channel inserts on my 310.
As I have posted many times, I do not use the Schlegle, Airstream dealers sell. It's expensive and starts rusting in short order and it makes the windows operate extremely hard.
I have used this for many years:
AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
It appears to be the OEM product used when these windows were assembled.
Will this channel work for the cockpit sliders also?
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #39
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Will this channel work for the cockpit sliders also?
Yes, I used it on 3 Classics. In most cases it works much better than the schlegel. Just make sure you follow the "slicing" of the back at the corners ( I also use 3M black weatherstrip/adhesive at the corners only) AND cut the drain holes. Brad just installed it on his Argosy and Peanuts, he may want to chime in with his experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cornerslices.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	286838  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar
 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,185
Images: 5
Hi Peter - a quick favour, I'm assuming this is the same as the stuff I bought about ten years ago from Vintage Trailer Supply http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-278.htm
I'm going to try and get this sorted this year so want to ensure that I am installing the correct product!

All the best
Nick


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window seals and track replace shepherd57 Argosy Motorhomes 8 08-28-2016 05:08 PM
Rockers switches on either side of 8 track & stereo CaCraig Audio, Video & TV 25 12-30-2014 07:02 PM
Side window track shepherd57 Classic Motorhomes 4 06-02-2013 03:13 PM
side window busted, need to replace-advice? deelind Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 21 04-20-2012 02:11 PM
how to replace a side window on a 2008? Randjg1 Windows & Screens 0 09-15-2009 12:46 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.