Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Settee in a 310

Does anyone know what make the settee is in the Airstream's. It is the one where the back rolls forward and over to make the double. A Friend of mine wants to fit one in his RV so is looking for plans/parts or complete unit. Ideally the bed-work irons in "Kit-form" would be helpful for shipping to the UK.

Thank you chaps

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
My wife thinks it was the Flexsteel Corp. There's no mark or label anywhere. If you find out please let me know ... I have some choice words for them about quality of assembly.
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Settee in a 310

The settee in our 1991 350 is likely a flexsteel. The driver's and passinger front seats are clearly marked. See:Flexsteel - Flexsteel Furniture: Residential, RV/Marine, Commercial.

Best,

R
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Jamie, I must say I have no issues with the settee construction. My only gripe is the underneath storage. I am in the process of making up drawers, using the front cloth panel as the drawer front, to pull out, and that they will be full height, down to the floor. At the moment there is about 3"-4" lost space under the plywood floor that the bins slide on. The one good point is the simplicity of converting to bed and that long items like my collapsible ladder and walking sticks store nicely behind the back rest.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
Jamie, I must say I have no issues with the settee construction. My only gripe is the underneath storage. I am in the process of making up drawers, using the front cloth panel as the drawer front, to pull out, and that they will be full height, down to the floor. At the moment there is about 3"-4" lost space under the plywood floor that the bins slide on. The one good point is the simplicity of converting to bed and that long items like my collapsible ladder and walking sticks store nicely behind the back rest.
Chuck, everybody who ever had one of these has come up with the same ideas for storage behind the couch back, I think. The underneath space below the plywood floor is used for heat ducts, mouse nests, and some other things you probably don't want to know about. Take pics and let me know how you come out.
Jamie
Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
I think the remodelling of the settee will be a while as yet, there are more pressing things to attend to .. LPG (Propane) on the engine for starters.

LPG is about $3.5 (your money) a Gallon where as petrol (Gas) is $11 + and still rising.

I have done so much to "My-Baby" that I must spend a bit of time using her and maintaining the farm homestead, before it all collapses!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
salisbury , england
hi chuck,brian hear ive only just managed to get internet at home so im real happy.hope to see you soon.
poison dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Like this? There is very liitle room behind the couch for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0236.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	76213  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
I still have not had time to start the 'bin conversion' yet, although I have most of the sliders. I have been stacked out preparing a 345 for the UK and that took about 3 months longer than it should have.
Take a tip everyone, "look carefully before you buy". I'll say no more other than never buy on a strength of a photo or two and the vendors 'words-of-wisdom'.

Back to the settee ... Under the false floor of the storage is - Nothing! not even a mouse house (thankfully). So the full height drawers will be ideal. Out of interest the same goes for the under bed storage as well, so I will do likewise here. I think now that will all happen next winter as I have a few minor jobs I want to do first, like the drinks cabinet, cocktail bar ... call it what-you-will.

I plan to replace the panel at the door entrance, 'fridge side with another panel but set into it will be a very shallow - deep enough for the glasses etc., - cabinet. I got the idea from my late fathers 1950's cocktail cabinet, so hopefully if the minds eye, my memory of it and the ability to build it all comes together, I can relax with the G&T knowing that the Waterford Crystal is safe!
My one complaint on the Classic - no where for the drink!

I wonder what it is like have a MH with nothing to do to it ???? - Boring?

Welcome Brian glad to see your back in the fold.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Having a MoHo with nothing to do to it is like having a glass with nothing to put into it... a waste of time, and extra money to spend on frivolous things like food and...well...drink...ok, scratch the drink thought. Our electric roll-out couch is not something I would subject a friend to...I tried it, once, and a 3" memory foam might make it comfortable. but by itself it was REALLY uncomfortable...have wondered about pulling it out and replacing it with a standard leather couch, altered to maintain the underneath storage.
We removed the barrel chairs and tv stand, and put in aa treadle sewing machine for our computer desk, and put in shelves to utilize the under space...left room behind the passenger seat for two 29 series AGM batteries to augment the solar panels...but, I digress...
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #11
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Chuck - a brief word of warning. Consider weight. Weigh your front wheels and examine the specs for your equipment. Mine came to me nearly 500 pounds over specs, and we had balljoint failures on the road (not fun). Ever since rebuilding the front end we are careful about storage forward of the door.
Jamie
Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
After preparing a 1988 345 recently for the UK registration and electrics, I was impressed by the Bucket Chairs used in the later AS's; they were slightly bigger, locked into position and had slides. Far superior to ours. There was also the electric seats for the driver and co pilot...... aaaah! (big sigh) "one day I'll find one..." (the seats that is.... I am keeping to the single rear axle!)

Jammie, I take your point on weight, but in fact our 310 is lighter now than when we first bought her. Both roof A/C's are gone in favour of the Kool-O-Matic AC12's and the Generator is out in favour of 4 x 6volt 225 amp/Hr Batteries under the step - Not to mention the Univolt and all the engine A/C. We just don't need that degree of cooling here, and with the advent of the Kool-O-Matic's moving all that air, that is enough cooling for us - The ice maker and a long drink does the rest!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have removed both the jack knife beds from our motor home since they were so uncomfortable. I kept the frames and all parts for both of them. Please understand that the side frames bolt onto a large spring contraption which becomes the fold out bed. This would be very expensive to ship.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Thanks for the offer, but I think we have sorted it out now, although on the settee we were looking at there were no springs involved. In the end with the aid of many photos and measurements and the two curved side arms we managed to fabricate the settee frame and it works fine.

Thank you one and all for your helpful comments and offers - great site this!