Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
seatbelts?????

I do love duct tape/gaffers tape, and I have no doubt that should an accident occur my two girls would stay put if I taped them to the couch, but they're hoping for an easier solution.
Our 310 has no seatbelts for the rear passengers. A previous owner pulled out the two buckets in front behind the passengers seat, placed sound deadening material on the floor and recarpeted. All that's there now is two armchairs that are not fastened to the floor (think about what's going to happen when they start to fly). The couch behind the driver has no seatbelts either. The 345 we looked at had them for the couch.
Where can we get a set and how difficult would they be to install?

Thanks again for the help.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They should be available at almost any auto parts store. If not, any auto salvage yard should have bunches of them. I remember the belts were attached at the floor, on each rear mounting bolt where it goes from the seat into the floor. you may have to try a stud finder to locate the metal pieces under all the new stuff.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The chairs behind the passenger seat never had seat belts, but the couch did. Check in the roadside fold-out to see if the belts are still there, or at least, the connections.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary
The chairs behind the passenger seat never had seat belts, but the couch did. Check in the roadside fold-out to see if the belts are still there, or at least, the connections.
Same here, found mine under the couch, between the wall and the water tank. I leave them under the coach and tell others sorry I can't take you with on the trip because I don't have seatbelts for you!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Same here, found mine under the couch, between the wall and the water tank. I leave them under the coach and tell others sorry I can't take you with on the trip because I don't have seatbelts for you!
I have seen those barrel chairs with seat belts, they usually are attached where the pedestal is bolted to the floor. Whether OEM, or aftermarket installed, I can't tell you. As a rule, though, if the chair can't be locked in one position (ie, swivels with no way to keep it from swiveling), it should not be used for travel.

BTW, Mike, how is Bess doing?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I still have the original decals above my barrel chairs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1693621089.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	168817  
Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I still have the original decals above my barrel chairs...
And no seat belts there, right?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
And no seat belts there, right?
Correct.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Seat belts under the street side lounge

Our 82 24' MH has two seat belts fastened to the floor under the streetside lounge behind the drivers seat. Don't think I would have know that if we hadn't taken the lounge out to be reupholstered. Girls need seat belts.....boys too for that matter and dogs maybe as well.....don't want a 53 pound projectile dog coming forward....we are going to install a place to restrain our dog comfortably......just haven't decided where yet. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I remembered looking at the road side storage and not seeing the belts which were very apparent in the 345 we had seen as they were attached at the bottom of the storage. That is not to say that they are not there. They maybe folded up in the bottom of the couch some where? I will check when I get her home.

Thanks guys

PS I have a WIX number for the oil filter of 51282 but I'm not 100% on Wix. The stock Isuzu number is 1-13240161-0????
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I've got a set of seatbelts on both dining seats. Not too familiar with your floorplan, but if you have dinette, look there as well. Both of my barrel chairs have seatbelts, the belts are attached at bottom of chair with a very sturdy looking metal bar.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Our 82 24' MH has two seat belts fastened to the floor under the streetside lounge behind the drivers seat. Don't think I would have know that if we hadn't taken the lounge out to be reupholstered. Girls need seat belts.....boys too for that matter and dogs maybe as well.....don't want a 53 pound projectile dog coming forward....we are going to install a place to restrain our dog comfortably......just haven't decided where yet. paula
Paula, four anchors in the floor with two straps to hold a crate on the floor should be more than enough. I can snap a few pictures of the anchors and straps Monday when I get to work.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I remembered looking at the road side storage and not seeing the belts which were very apparent in the 345 we had seen as they were attached at the bottom of the storage. That is not to say that they are not there. They maybe folded up in the bottom of the couch some where? I will check when I get her home.

Thanks guys

PS I have a WIX number for the oil filter of 51282 but I'm not 100% on Wix. The stock Isuzu number is 1-13240161-0????
Check out this site Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
It gives a lot of good info on filters. Wix makes filters for NAPA and Carquest and have made excellent filters for years. Also they are much easier to find than the Isuzu filter which is probably made by one of the major filter companies, maybe even Wix.

The Barrel chairs mentioned by Crazyvw in the 34.4 are mounted on a rigid base with a locking swivel like the driver an passenger chairs and the belts are bolted to the bar which is bolted to the base which is bolted to the floor. If anybody is interested I have 2 extra bases.

On my coach the front seat bases and seat belts are bolted to the steel tube cross members under the floor, not just through the floor.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Ours had three sets behind the couch (I found them a year after owning and using the coach). They were all in bad shape so I replaced them with new belts from JC Whitney. Now we have belts in the couch and dinette.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My '84 345 has 3 lap belts on the couch behind the driver.
On my M/H I have a Dinette behind the passenger seat, and no belts fitted. The overhead storage also has the same sticker that Dadstoy's has.
We will be putting 4 lap belts on the dinette seating and am interested to get comment on a secure way to bolt them to the floor?
I was thinking that a bolt thru the floor close to one of the floor crossmembers with a tab welded to bolted to that would be good...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
I replaced the passenger side with a autoparts store lap seatbelt for less than $15

The first 3 pictures here are of the dinette seatbelt
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...tml#post544954