Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Surprise , Arizona
Running Lights

I'm having trouble getting my upper running lights to work. 1st: should they come on when the headlight knob is pulled to the first detent? 2nd: are they wired up as the screws that hold the light in place is the ground or the 2nd wire is ground? 3rd: is the driving light switch on dash next to ICC blink switch, control the KC lights or does THAT control the upper running lights? As you might guess I've got some electrical demons I'm trying to work out. Most of them I've found as hot wires that have rubbed against sharp metal and blown fuses, or just bad grounds. Thx!
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
Lights

If the ICC blink switch is off the upper running lights will be off... at least that is how mine seems to work. This switch is there so that you can blink these lights to say thanks when someone slows or moves over to let you in to the lane you need. It seems to me that this should be a momentary contact switch instead of a detent switch.
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Surprise , Arizona
My ICC switch IS a momentary on switch. But aren't the upper lights supposed to work all the time? I don't know, they've never worked. And my icc doesn't work either.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Surprise , Arizona
Update: solved my problems. The upper running lights ARE part of the lower running lights circuit. They do use two wires! One for ground the other four 12v. I just had to start taking them apart to figure it out. They all work now but I need to replace all of them due to Sun rot.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
…. Just an FYI….. There are alternative parts available that consist of a plastic lens that encloses an LED light source that will replace the twist in bulb and OEM plastic lens. They are sealed units that are available in red and amber colors, and are available at truck supply stores. The entire unit snaps right into the stock cast aluminum housing. I replaced all of the Cab Clearance lights on my Moho and am quite satisfied with them. As I recall, a minor modification may have been required to achieve a good ground when installing them, but they were priced at just six or seven dollars each and look a heck of a lot better than my old ones.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I have a 2012 28ft FC and one of my running light lens is loose. It probably was like that from the factory. I could take it in and the dealer fix it but a lot of hassle for a running light so...I would rather fix it myself. The lens and the contents of the lite lifts off the base by about 1/8" but no more. On the large side of the lens I can see what looks like a clip but the lens will not secure (or clip) when I push down on it. I am afraid to pull on for fear of really breaking something.

I have never seen one of these things apart so...really don't how this devil works.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote