Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Roof marker light quandry.

Everything else works fine, except the center front. I'm getting this reading after replacing the bulbs. Don't pile on, the probe color on the ground is red because I don't have a black ground probe. Do I have a ground problem in the housing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2225marker.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	167137  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Mike, the problem is definitely that red probe....

what do you read when you swap your test leads?

seriously now, how do your voltage readings across the battery, and from + battery to ground compare with your readings at the marker lite? are they in the range of 13.2?

given that everything else works fine except the center front, test with the new bulbs out. if your voltage reading is OK, then there's a bad bulb.

if the voltage between the + lamp supply and the housing ground is that low, that looks like a bad ground,

however, if the voltage between the + lamp supply and another good ground anywhere else on the vehicle is that low, then I'd suspect that you have a bad connection on the supply side.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Test a working light too, so you have a known good value for comparison.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Thanks for the great suggestions, will clean all the fittings and test again. Would not even attempt this without the use of my orchard ladder, as it's the hardest place to reach on the coach. Wish I could travel with it without looking like some rig out of "The Grapes of Wrath."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2226mhladder.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	167163  
Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Thanks for the picture of the orchard ladder, give me an idea on how to fix my ladder problem at home. I have a 10ft stepladder but in front of MH it is not stable to sterech from upper rungs to marker lights, mounting hinged diagonal or wide foot supports should do it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I bit the bullet and paid about $200 for a telescoping ladder...$2.50 for a 'noodle' from wallyworld as a cushion for the ladder contact...it has served me well...old carpet and plywood allow me to work the top without my dainty figure dimpling the skin...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Trying to keep all the bulbs working is why I put LED's on ours. One of the problems that we have on these, the steel screws and Vulcum sealer will keep you from a good ground. The light unit is grounded to the housing, and the housing needs to get ground from the skin. I replaced all the rusty steel screws with Stainless Steel and took all the housings off and re-sealed. With the LED's, problems gone!
With all that being said, my best guess would be you have a ground problem.
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions, will clean all the fittings and test again. Would not even attempt this without the use of my orchard ladder, as it's the hardest place to reach on the coach. Wish I could travel with it without looking like some rig out of "The Grapes of Wrath."
Mike,
Where in the world do you store your orchard ladder going down the road? I've about decided one of the telescoping ladders is the way to go, but now you've made me re-think....
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
ladder day saints...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Mike,
Where in the world do you store your orchard ladder going down the road? I've about decided one of the telescoping ladders is the way to go, but now you've made me re-think....
Thanks, Derek

I really think the telescoping ladder is a BIG plus...kinda pricey($200?), but I have had mine for about 4 years, and while it's a hassle to move front(nights) to back(days), it has been an invaluable tool for me(and others)...a foam 'noodle', cut and split, will provide the scratch protection, and the storage becomes mostly a pick-it-up-put-it-down problem for some of the older folks. Weighs about 40-45 pounds, and the most damage you can do to yourself is collapsing it on your fingers, straining your back, or falling off...all of these are avoidable with simple exercises in basic intelligence...if you need instructions, I have learned them all...sometimes twice...ok...ok...ALL of them at least twice...still, unless you have a roof rack and stairwell, the telescope is a serious consideration. I have had two short step stools for windshield cleaning...I'm not going to run over a third one...
BTW, noodles are really handy in many ways...cut and split them for your windshield wipers while parked for awhile...cut and split for the awning bars so you only get a bump, not a gash...decorate your awning tie downs and avoid those embarassing 'rope' burns...useful, cheap, and user-friendly...m
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Getting to that area over the windshield is tricky, and safety is important!

I have a folding telescoping ladder... this one...

Here is what I was doing...
And, I forgot to take a pic!
I unfolded it and extended it to the max... I put two thick movers blankets down... One on the header triple folded and one on the windshield under the ladder, and laid the ladder to follow the front slope of the screen... Nothing was touching the glass!
Then I wrapped a rope around the a lower rung and around the two front overiders, so the ladder could not slide out!
Hope that makes sense...
BE SAFE!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Mike,
Thanks, Derek
We don't travel with the orchard; I don't mind the clearcoat starting to fail or the dents (I've done by myself), but I draw the line on tacky.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
its refreshing to see that Airstream did make improvement over the years like adding the ground wire, instead of relying on the chassis ground. Or was it just the different fixture in fashion that year...? Either way those were bad designs, completely melted and falling apart when touching them.
May as well replace all 5 in the rear now, there is no changing bulbs on this set-up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ICC-socket.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	167849   Click image for larger version

Name:	ICC.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	167850  

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
its refreshing to see that Airstream did make improvement over the years like adding the ground wire, instead of relying on the chassis ground. Or was it just the different fixture in fashion that year...? Either way those were bad designs, completely melted and falling apart when touching them.
May as well replace all 5 in the rear now, there is no changing bulbs on this set-up
Yup, your pics show a REAL ground wire! Wow, what a concept.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This won't work if you need it while on the road, but I have a 6 to 9' plank with the ladders at home base which comes in very handy for work on the front of the Clipper. For those Classic with the slope back windshield you probably need the 8 to 13' to get close to the front marker lights.

I carry a 12' collapsable ladder that my old wool work socks tie onto for finish protection.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Now put LED's on there and you will take care of a lot of problems!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Bolt right up!

These should bolt right up. Or use the Trail Blazer units that are at Wally World, TSC or Auto supply stores. Use Stainless screws when replacing them.
M12 series Truck Clearance Marker Lights
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I like it! Thanks. Read my new thread to see why the markers are way down on the list.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
A telescoping ladder, a little extra weight, and carpet/plywood, and common sense will get you over the top spots...or you can pay, and pay...the ladder is cheaper, the carpet can come out of the dumpster, and plywood is usually a construction site away...I might sound cheap, here, but...oh yeah...I AM cheap...but I'm on the road, most of the time...what's your excuse for parking it...???
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
One thing that I consider necessary equipment to have with me all the time is a piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends. That way you can always clip onto a known good ground. The other thing I always have with me is a small butane soldering iron, much like the size used to work on circuit boards and in a pinch, particularly when I'm headed towards the inspection station and find out I have a marker light out, I've been known to solder the bottom of a bulb to the 12 V supply. This is particularly helpful on those sockets where they have a rubber O-ring that provides tension. I'm not saying that this is the right way to do it that it keeps things together till I can afford a LED conversion. Good luck with your electrical gremlins.
Bill
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I used some of these and they work fine. You have to machine a groove for the wire with a dremel tool but they are fully encapsulated in epoxie so they are still water proof.

2 Double BullsEye Red LED 2" x 4" Trailer Marker Lights | eBay

They have them in orange as well.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote