Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Thumbs up swap moho for trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
IMO, the effort to find a suitable trailer, sell the motorhome, and rent/borrow a truck to drive it down, will be WAY less than the effort to gut this, borrow an aircraft hanger with crane, pull the body off, build a custom supporting structure underneath, reinstall the interior, and attempt to get it transported to Mexico and delivered to the site in one piece

Sounds a lot cheaper and easier to sell the motorhome and just tow a trailer down and park it on some cinderblocks.

Added advantages
If you want or need to move the trailer later it will be very easy.
A trailer in the same shape as a motorhome should be cheaper, so put some of the money into interior upgrades

Edit, one more
Separating the body and selling it separate destroys a LOT of value.
You can sell the rolling truck chassis for what, a grand or 2?
And the body itself with no way to transport is probably worth... Nothing? You'd have to find someone willing to transport it
Compare that to what you paid for the motorhome

If you want to sell the trailer, just sell the trailer, no value lost
That does sound a lot more reasonable.

The expense for me always comes with trying to preserve options:

"Drive the moho down there, use it as is, separate them if I want to (!!)"

Better to make the decision now and stick with it. Use the moho as a moho. Or swap it for a trailer.

See? This forum is full of sensible people.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
...See? This forum is full of sensible people.

You must not be reading the same posts I do
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Smile Sensible? You're kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

You must not be reading the same posts I do
Old 05-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Simple Preservation

Hello J,
A little suggestion =Fix the Rust in your Chassis, such an easy n cheap job to do. You can do it even lying on your back while doing it. If it has Not been Undersealed Previously , then it could even be described as a rewarding pleasent task, the final outcome once you have High Presure Water Blasted then using a Garden Spritzer to sparay on the Rust Converter about 10 Lt and end with 10 Lt off chassis wax It'lll look better than New. Done Slolwly over Couple Months bit by bit for very Little Money.
Why I have described the above Preservation Treatment not a Restoration Treatment is I read previously you mentioning your Rusty Chassis.
Once steel has been Well and Evenly Rusted then Converted it becomes the most long lasting n toughest rust prevention treatment. Iron ships, NY skyscrapers all done this way.
Rust First...
Also talk off rendering down these fine machines like an unfortunate beached whale Upsets me.
All the best
Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Rust begone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
Hello J,
A little suggestion =Fix the Rust in your Chassis, such an easy n cheap job to do. You can do it even lying on your back while doing it. If it has Not been Undersealed Previously , then it could even be described as a rewarding pleasent task, the final outcome once you have High Presure Water Blasted then using a Garden Spritzer to sparay on the Rust Converter about 10 Lt and end with 10 Lt off chassis wax It'lll look better than New. Done Slolwly over Couple Months bit by bit for very Little Money.
Why I have described the above Preservation Treatment not a Restoration Treatment is I read previously you mentioning your Rusty Chassis.
Once steel has been Well and Evenly Rusted then Converted it becomes the most long lasting n toughest rust prevention treatment. Iron ships, NY skyscrapers all done this way.
Rust First...
Also talk off rendering down these fine machines like an unfortunate beached whale Upsets me.
All the best
Rus
First, may I say that I love your username.

Second, I am so glad you brought this up because I thought the rust was a much more difficult problem than you suggest. I called several companies that I thought would do this for me, and both said they wouldn't. To this day I don't really understand their reasoning, and frankly, I can't remember what they said anymore. The problematic rust is in the brake lines that need to be rebuilt. But on the axles and elsewhere it still looks pretty superficial to me.

One thing I've found is that mechanics on the West Coast are a lot more nervous about dealing with rust that those elsewhere. It just seems like a foreign animal to them and they tend not to want to deal with it. At least that's been true in my experience.

Since I have a lot on my plate these days, the likelihood of my doing it is slim, but not impossible. But it's enormously helpful to hear what you have to say about it because it gives me hope! Maybe I can pass this hope onto someone else who will, as they say, Just Do It!

I'm leaning farther and farther away from taking the motyho apart, so I think you can rest easy.

Thanks so much again!