Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Looks good! Actually looks better than some of my tries!

I did put up the autocad dwg file for the cab covers on the website today. I am not sure how easy it will be to understand my methods in the cad layers, but anyone is welcome to play with the files and improve on them
I got in my ASA filament yesterday but I dont have time to try it out, prepping for another run to Boston on Sunday
I couldn't wait so I went ahead and loaded PETG. Here's the result. I t hink it came out pretty darn good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_154721.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	330519Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_154714.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	330520Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_154702.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	330521

The shiney black is really hard to get a good picture of!

I'm going to have to see if these will fit my Argosy cockpit windows

Could you post the stl file for the PETG version? I'd like to look at the settings.

Thanks!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Looks good, I see some stringing in the vent holes, but I dont think that can be eliminated on the PETG.
The STL files do not contain code for the type of material, the gcode files have that.
This is the PETG gcode for the cab http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/3d..._PET_MK3.gcode

Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yeah, the PETG is definitely stringier than the PLA. So far though a heat gun seems to eliminate the hairs fairly well.

I tried to fit the cockpit cover on my Argosy and the two studs are set just a little bit to far apart. The slots in the window are 1" wide so I'm thinking the studs will need to be moved inboard probably about .1" or so on each end.

I never noticed before but the Argosy rear windows have the same 1" drain slots at the bottom of window. Originally the Argosies did not have any weep hole covers, however I may just end up installing covers...

Brad
Old 01-02-2019, 03:26 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
For the cab covers, I measure about 1.04" (26.5mm) to the outside edges of the grip posts. If yours are different by a 1/10th of an inch, there may be a scaling error or airstream cutting error?

I would guess that when they made the slots for the covers, precision between models may not be maintained.

What should happen with this project is that the covers should ID'd to match the slot length and width, and maybe depth also, in case some do not go as deep as others.
Due to my health issues, I dont think I will have time to regroup and redesign them any more. When I have "good" days that I am free. I will try some.

You can take the cad data and adjust the post positions, but that is a steep learning curve. The other method is to take the STL file and when you generate the gcode, you can scale down the cover in x y or z independently for the final print. Be sure to rename the scaled gcode file appropriately
Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The cab windows in an Argosy were more of a gradual evolution that anything else. Some of the cab windows have no weep holes on the outside like the drivers side cab window on my Argosy, no external weep holes! That window had weep holes drilled under the Schlegel to allow water to drain straight out the bottom. However the passenger side did have weep holes on the outside. The other difference is on my drivers side the window was installed with Olympic rivets but on the passenger side it was buck rivets! Then there is Martin's Bella. His cab windows have small holes drilled instead of slots.

I guess the bottom line is the Argosies were probably more of a one off sort of installation and the Classic's were more refined. For my Argosy I'm comfortable with using a dremel to enlarge the slots to work. I'm no where near comfortable enough in trying to modify your cad drawings to try and move the posts. Heck, it took me about four days to figure out how to put a key way slot in a gear using Fusion 360!

If you have the opportunity could you upload the Designcad 3D drawing file for the side window weep hole cover with the Airstream logo? I tried importing it into Fusion 360 and the import didn't go well. I then downloaded and installed Designcad 3D and opened the .dwg file and imported it. Once in Designcad there were still issues with creating the .stl file. While slicing the stl file from Designcad in Slic3r, Slic3rt reported something like 5000 errors.

Take care Wayne.

Brad
Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I put the DCD files on the web page
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/3d...eepHoleCovers/
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I put the DCD files on the web page
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/3d...eepHoleCovers/
Thanks Wayne!

I have a 30 hour print running right now, should be done late tonight so I should be able to give this a go sometime tomorrow.

I hope you're doing well......

Thanks again!

Brad
Old 01-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I put the ASA filament in today, It printed OK but lost a lot of detail on the lettering and curves. It was not stringy, more chunky.

It probably needs a config tuneup to get better results. I do like it because it is tough and somewhat flexible.
If I get the ambition, I will take a picture and post it
Old 01-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Hi Wayne,

Glad to see you're online. I've been playing with the Designcad file you posted and am still having issues. After exporting to an .stl file and opening it in Slic3r the initials that you put on the underside end up floating out in front of the cover. Also where the hole is located for the rivet it appears that a layer has shifted. The other interesting thing is the AIRSTREAM logo is printing as a mirror image!

I've tried various things and at the moment I've created a mirrored image of the cover. In Designcad it only shows one cover however in Slic3r there are two cover!

Anyway, I'm printing that version right now just to see what happens.

Brad
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
2 things, for the mirrored output you need to do this:
Quote:
Quote from: BlankMan on November 22, 2015, 09:15:05 AM
Does DesignCAD 3D MAX not follow some industry norm and have the +/- opposite on the X Axis or something??
The answer is "Yes" : Designcad is not using "right hand system of coordinate" as default, but "left" one.
Also, Z Axis is in the opposite direction.

(note that you can assign "right hand system of coordinate" in Option, Tag "General" / Coordinate system area)
Also make sure that you are exporting only the layer data you are working with in STL otherwise it will try and print all layers. Designcad does not lock hidden layers out of the print.
Do EDIT-Select All, then go to FILE-Export and set the type to STL and check the box to export selected entries only.
Hopefully that does it
Old 01-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #91
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Okay, so this geek stuff is way over my head; but I think I'm getting the gist of it......with Wayne's and Brad'd incredible Big Bang Nerdie Knowledge, I may have access to parts for my Argosy. If I stop trolling about my diesel maybe.

All I know, is you guys rock, and even if you do sell your AS coach Wayne, I really hope you stick around to help us Small Bang Simple Minds club guys.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:08 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I may have access to parts for my Argosy. If I stop trolling about my diesel maybe.
Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I bet with enough ambition, even odd ball diesel parts could be made
Just about any part can be made, it all depends on how desperate you are to make it, and if you can find the right material that will survive the mission.
This site shows some of the materials 3D printers can do now.
https://all3dp.com/1/3d-printer-fila...g-3d-filament/

Once you have your material, then you need to design the part, Unless you have a lot of experience with 3D cad, that is where you will spend most of your days. Once you have a working design, you can share your work with others and they can build their own with minimal effort.

One thing we already know, is that Airstream manufacturing was not very consistent, so a part that fits one, may not fit another.

Or maybe you can start from scratch?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Okay, so this geek stuff is way over my head; but I think I'm getting the gist of it......with Wayne's and Brad'd incredible Big Bang Nerdie Knowledge, I may have access to parts for my Argosy. If I stop trolling about my diesel maybe.

All I know, is you guys rock, and even if you do sell your AS coach Wayne, I really hope you stick around to help us Small Bang Simple Minds club guys.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Just to be clear here. Wayne's the one that's designed these weep hole covers and has done all of the leg work to that end. I'd been thinking about getting a 3D printer for a while and after seeing what Wayne had come up with I decided to pull the trigger. Unfortunately (for me anyway) the 3D world is totally different than a 2D world! I've used 2D cad software for over 35 years now and even trained draftsman in the use of 2D cad software. However the difference between using 2D and 3D cad software is like the difference between night and day. Heck, it took me 4 days to figure out how to properly draw a key way slot in a gear!

As for trolling.....I think it's in your DNA so the odds of you being able to control the urge is probably not going to happen

Brad
Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wayne, thanks for the help with Designcad. With that info I was finally able to print a nice copy of the AIRSTREAM weep hole cover in PETG and given the chance tonight, I'll see how well it fits in a Classic window.

I ended up doing the export as you described and I did the mirroring in Slic3r to get the text to be correct. Prints take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #95
MI Cigar Man

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Westland , Michigan
Far from a 3D CAD expert but I am going to try this as well.

Wayne/All,

Thank you for the motivation I needed to start to work in 3D after years of trying to avoid it. I have many projects to tackle but this one seems like a great place to start since you have done all of the SERIOUS design work.

I wonder if anyone has tried the side trim in Flex PLA yet? I am looking for black and no one wants to make that anymore, (especially since I hate ORANGE and BLUE for that trim).

I have a Classic 345 MH and there is one heck of a lot of the 3/8" trim on it.

Any suggestions would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks,

Robin
rhandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandel View Post
Wayne/All,

Thank you for the motivation I needed to start to work in 3D after years of trying to avoid it. I have many projects to tackle but this one seems like a great place to start since you have done all of the SERIOUS design work.

I wonder if anyone has tried the side trim in Flex PLA yet? I am looking for black and no one wants to make that anymore, (especially since I hate ORANGE and BLUE for that trim).

I have a Classic 345 MH and there is one heck of a lot of the 3/8" trim on it.

Any suggestions would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks,

Robin

There are soft plastics that work with the 3d printers, I dont know how well they handle the weather. The stuff I have been testing is ASA and it will handle weather and has some flex to it, especially if you warm it first.
The main problem with the type of 3d printer I have, is that is has size restrictions
Quote:
25 x 21 x 21 cm | 9.84 x 8.3 x 8.3 in
So your trim could only be made in 8" sections pieced together.
If someone had a modification for the printer to print on a special conveyor bed that allowed for continuous lengths, then that may work.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #97
MI Cigar Man

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Westland , Michigan
Airstream 3D parts and trim (printer suggestions?)

Wayne,

I have a 3Doodler so I can weld them together by hand if necessary. I may have a way to get 1 foot pieces (And need lots of them). Extrusion through a mold would be the best.

But as usual asking 1 question breeds several others...

Do you (and Brad for that matter), like your Prusa printers? I have seen some great reviews and I am thinking of the kit version of the MK3. Mostly because of the advances and bugs being fixed.

Also, I saw the print in this thread of an Airsteram trailer, Has anyone come up with detailed 3D files for the Airstream Classic? I would love to print one. ;-)

Thanks again,

Robin
Old 01-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandel View Post
Do you (and Brad for that matter), like your Prusa printers? I have seen some great reviews and I am thinking of the kit version of the MK3. Mostly because of the advances and bugs being fixed.

Robin
Robin,

I'm beyond impressed with the quality of the prints out of the Prusa. In some ways I wish I was 40 years younger so I could grow up with this technology. It's really impressive to watch something being printed.

Here's a picture of the weep hole covers that Wayne developed. I would imagine that the material cost is just a couple of pennies. Even better is if you make a mistake it doesn't really cost much to redo it. If you look at the text on the larger cover you'll notice it's a mirror image. When I set the print up I forgot to mirror the object. No big deal, make the change and just print another one!

Name:	20190108_183859.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	331449

To give you an idea of what the future might bring, here's a picture of a C clamp. Let's say you have an oddball job where you need a clamp in a certain size or shape. If you're good at 3D modeling/cad then it wouldn't be difficult to generate the file necessary to print it. The picture below is a sample clamp from Prusa that is currently being made on my printer. I suppose the downside is it will take 19 hours to print the clamp.

Name:	20190110_054725.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	331448

Brad
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #99
MI Cigar Man

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Westland , Michigan
Wow that looks great.

Brad,

The clamp looks great. I cannot wait to get one. I see you have the powder coated plate. Do you have both to compare? Is it worth getting both? It seems the textured plate is back ordered.

---

I am trying to import and manipulate the 67MM weep hole cover and I get the Airstream text inverted and the part number text floating outside. I exported an STL from DesignCAD demo and I am using Blender to work on it. Blender is interesting. I have several CAD programs available and all are free. So far the learning curve is STEEP no matter which program I use.

Thanks again,

Robin

Old 01-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Something strange with the forum. It claims there is a post on page 8, but it wont let me go to page 8? Maybe this post will fix it?

Edit to add, it works now, but whatever other post before this one that was on page 8 is gone. Maybe I need coffee?