Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Recommendations for upgrading voltage regulator

So I finally got my 280 turbo diesel to the shop to get repair work done. This is the 4th tow truck that's had the luxury pulling this beauty!

So one thing I forgot about when rounding up parts is the voltage regulator. I want something on short notice that I can get my mechanic on Monday/ Tuesday. I live in a city of 1 million so parts are semi available kinda thing. Asides the regulator is there something else I should be replacing under the hood area right now? The front is wide open.

Things I'm doing this coming week:

New belts
New thermostat/gasket
Bypass hose top of water pump
Waterpump
Recored rad
Rebuilt alt
Entire brakeline system replacement
Almost all rubber hoses in engine bay
Also the one power steering line that has metal line with rubber
Transmission cooler attached to front of rad
High pressure seal on hydroboost

I have no desires going solar in the future. I have electrical drains to a point not entirely sure how bad, I'm guessing dead batteries in 6 weeks if I'm parked? Maybe longer? Any thoughts out there on domestic aftermarket parts I should replace. Electrical or mechanical suggestions are welcome
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Only since you mentioned the batteries .... how old are they?

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Brand new in January all three are tied together in one line. I had a drain and killed them once it took several months to drain unless something got left on when I was checking some of the ststems a few months ago.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If there is a way to trickle charge the batteries while in storage, that might be a good idea. I realize this is not always possible. I can't do it in a rational fashion with my current storage setup. Batteries cost a lot ... (as you well know

Why dig into this: I don't know if you already have a convenient place to plug in a charger from the outside of the vehicle.

Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
What fault finding have you completed on the parasitic drain? Which batteries are getting drained? Have you measured current draw with different fuses taken out of circuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
I do not know how to use a volt meter yet, also I'm honestly just looking at doing upgrades regardless if some of my parts are still good. I have had a nightmare of experience with my motorhome with prices getting out of control on being stranded/ towed/ forced to buy expensive band aids. So one thing I have read is that the battery isolator is under rated? Also the voltage regulator is too small also? Right now in idle I have negative charge add headlights and it drops even more. When I'm driving even with headlights it's in the positive until I let off the throttle.

I recently put my front end together. I am pretty green mechanically wise and this is like pulling teeth. something I've sworn I dislike and have always refused to learn; however I'll admit this probably will break me in.

I'm taking baby steps in the resurrection of this rig. I'm hoping this year at a minimum I can have a reliable tent on wheels.not needing to worry about breakdowns and dead batteries
Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would *strongly* recommend finding a mechanic you feel you can trust. Let him go through what you have and do the work. The alternative *is* for you to learn how to use various gizmos (like voltmeters) and dig very deep into your MH. There are a number of systems and they all have issues. They also all have (likely) been upgraded / modified / repaired multiple times since they came from the factory. Finding out about the issues on the part installed at the factory is fun, but not of much use if it was swapped out for something completely different 2 years later.

Rebuilding this stuff can be fun, and you can save some money. The flip side is that you have to dig in and learn a bunch of stuff. You also have to buy a bunch of tools. In my experience, what you save on the parts, you spend on the tools If you can haul all the tools and spare parts along, you can save some money on the road. That only happens after the first rebuild where you learn everything ...

Bob
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #8
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
If it's still opened up, I suggest replacing the fan clutch and fuel pump. They are both cheap. I also had my starter rebuilt and am glad I did. It was on it's last leg.
While you are working in there, cleaning and / or replacing the grounds from the battery box to frame and frame to right rear head on the engine prevents a lot of problems.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote