Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

las vegas , Nevada
Purchasing a 1982 310 Turbo Diesel

I figure a forum of experts and novices with a plethora of opinions and advice is just where I need to be.

We are pretty sure we are gonna pull the plug on purchasing a 1982 310 Turbo Diesel Airstream (full on RV) with a 6BT Cummins engine and rebuilt transmission. Doesn't seem to have any leaks but everything is pretty original, so I have no doubt it'll need some work. We don't know **** about RV's and this is a pretty daunting task. We've seen it in person and are having some family go check it out again (we are out of state). The asking price is $15,000 and includes a working tow vehicle (late 90s SUV). The seller says he believes it'll do the 3-state drive with no problem. This is our first RV and we aren't going into this expecting to live out of it, but have it as a fun project. If it works out and we love it for years, GREAT. If not, then as long as we get our $$ back, I have no doubt someone else will be able to put some love into it and enjoy it.

Not knowing anything more than I just told you about it, does anyone think this is a good deal? What should I have my dad ask when he goes and looks at it? It is located in a small town, so although there are mechanics, there won't be anyone specifically with Airstream experience. Should I have a diesel mechanic come look at it?

I appreciate you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0bc4e635-5450-4cd3-a4c1-2a4be3bad022.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	380777  
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
A diesel mechanic is your best bet for an opinion as far as getting it home, airstream just put a body on a GM P-30 chassis. Steering brakes tires etc, all normal.

The cummins is not original, or if it is it was the only one. If installed well, that's about the best powerplant you could ever hope for in one of these rigs, many daydream about installing one of those.

For all the other general RV stuff, it's a matter of figuring out what works, what doesn't, and what's the price for a replacement, it's all normal motorhome stuff.

The only things that are airstream specific and a pain to replace are the glass and the stamped aluminum front and end caps
Old 10-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #3

las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
A diesel mechanic is your best bet for an opinion as far as getting it home, airstream just put a body on a GM P-30 chassis. Steering brakes tires etc, all normal.

The cummins is not original, or if it is it was the only one. If installed well, that's about the best powerplant you could ever hope for in one of these rigs, many daydream about installing one of those.

For all the other general RV stuff, it's a matter of figuring out what works, what doesn't, and what's the price for a replacement, it's all normal motorhome stuff.

The only things that are airstream specific and a pain to replace are the glass and the stamped aluminum front and end caps
The engine was put in a few years back, so definitely not original. All the glass was intact but I know everything would need to be resealed. I looked at a few threads on that and that is a tedious project! That, along with wiring, flooring, hoping nothing is rotten or rusted down there, re-doing upholstery, plumbing, etc ... whoa.

I'll look into getting a diesel mechanic to take a look. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Do you know what the original engine was? Isuzu Diesel? What transmission did they mate the Cummins to? There is quite a science to make an engine transplant work well. Could be a gem or a lemon.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #5

las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
Do you know what the original engine was? Isuzu Diesel? What transmission did they mate the Cummins to? There is quite a science to make an engine transplant work well. Could be a gem or a lemon.
I believe he said it was a 94 cummins 6BT engine and the tranny is a rebuilt dodge truck 3spd with electric overdrive. Whatever that means

EDIT: not sure what the original was, maybe the isuzu. I'll ask this weekend.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
You probably will enjoy it!
But you’ll NEVER get your $22,000 Back
I’m assuming you can turn a wrench Other wise that price is more like $32,000
( not exaggerating here I paid $10,000 for my 345. I’m positive I’ve spent over $5000 In major parts alone and probably that in smaller parts too like control boards for the heaters, belts, hoses, starters, alternator, lights, breaks, master-cylinder, and countless screws, bolts, and connectors)
The people on this forum are FANTASTIC
I’ve learned a LOT! and fixed, welded, cut, replaced, and repaired and taken on projects I never thought I could do and I wouldn’t have without the help and information on this forum
I’d take a good look at tires, belts and hoses. Before a three state trip... Hell all my tires, belts and hoses Are less then two years old and I check them before I go anywhere!
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

las vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosspoluter View Post
You probably will enjoy it!
But you’ll NEVER get your $22,000 Back
I’m assuming you can turn a wrench Other wise that price is more like $32,000
( not exaggerating here I paid $10,000 for my 345. I’m positive I’ve spent over $5000 In major parts alone and probably that in smaller parts too like control boards for the heaters, belts, hoses, starters, alternator, lights, breaks, master-cylinder, and countless screws, bolts, and connectors)
The people on this forum are FANTASTIC
I’ve learned a LOT! and fixed, welded, cut, replaced, and repaired and taken on projects I never thought I could do and I wouldn’t have without the help and information on this forum
I’d take a good look at tires, belts and hoses. Before a three state trip... Hell all my tires, belts and hoses Are less then two years old and I check them before I go anywhere!
I see this forum as an integral part of this journey for sure! I had my dad and bro take a look and it checked out. Said it seemed mechanically sound, so at least we should be able to get it from point A to point B safely. Fingers crossed.