Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Prices & desirability of parts from classic/argosy coaches

So I do not think a thread in anyways compiles a list of highly desirable items. I have spent some time reading various miscellaneous threads unrelated to myself or my endeavours and quite frankly everything I have needed seems to be as all car enthusiasts joke about being made of unattainium.

Last week I found a 76 argosy online, the price a bargain. I was ready for the $2500 out of pocket expense. Today I finally made the 4 hr drive to be beyond disappointed. I consider myself pretty handy, I'm a red seal carpenter but this coach could never be realistically put on the road. The entire chassis is shot in every way possible. It takes a lot for me to walk away given my stubborn nature and this leads me back here, to the wealth of knowledge and experience from the veterans

While I'd love to purchase this still for some choice pieces for my remodel. I'm not sure what is easy to sell or worth the $$ to recoup the full purchase price at least to compensate the time dismantling a coach
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Some parts would be easy sellers, others would take some time and still others are a once in a lifetime find for someone.

Here's a list of parts that I was able to sell or were requested by someone:

Cockpit windows
Windshield glass
Side slider windows (all sizes)
Rear pano windows
Bumpers, front and rear
Bumper over riders
Cockpit seats
Dinette seats
Screen door
Entry door
Various suspension parts
Exterior storage drawers (battery drawer, etc)
Fridge (for parts)
All interior cabinet doors
Window latches
Spare tire cover
Steering wheel
Instrument panel
Instrument panel gauges
Generator
Spare tire cover
Shore power cable reel
Water hose reel
Wiper motors
Steering column
Timing mark from bottom of engine
Hydraulic levelers
Hydraulic leveler pump
Hydraulic leveler control panel
Awning
Awning arms
Small window awnings
Suspension leveling valve
Vacuum step actuator
Alcoa wheels
Tag axle - complete
Fuel tank
Grey water tank
Black water tank
Fresh water tank
AC evaporator box
Various parts from dash AC system
Roof air conditioners

I'm sure there were other things requested. As mentioned above I didn't necessarily have all of the above available to sell because the vehicle had been in a front end collision so the windshields and bumper were gone. Plus I kept some things for myself.

My main purpose for buying and scraping the 345 were two fold, one to get parts for our 310 and Argosy and the other was to hopefully sell enough that was left over to recoup some of our investment in buying the 345. I don't think it was a break even proposition but it certainly helped get the 310 parts needed and really helped in my Argosy rebuild.

However it is a LOT of work dismantling a motorhome. I don't know that I would want to do it again....

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I hear you.

There have been a number of interesting possibilities close to me as well (the last one being a tipped over 345), but people look at $70,000- $100,000 asking prices for fully restored units and seem to think asking $6,500.00 for a wreck is just fine and dandy.

The sad thing is, some people just don't know what they have.

I have spent more than a few large donaroes on parts I may not even use, but God forbid they should break and I don't have them. Try and find a Keeler Brass Lock for an AS Classic motorhome door for under $300.00 anytime soon.

The search always continues..............

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Thanks for the huge list bkahler!

Isuzusweet. I'm going to start this list with this one item the door lock that you mention. Is it just the standard square lock I have on my door also? Is yours broken?

I think s list showing inflated current market prices is two fold. It promotes greed and it also promotes individuals with the means to take risk to buy wreaks to part out. I am learning quick that if something breaks it could completely sideline enjoyment from regular motorhome useage.

So the list of items that consistently go for an approx price when found and needed:

-keeler brass front lock. $300
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
Thanks for the huge list bkahler!

Isuzusweet. I'm going to start this list with this one item the door lock that you mention. Is it just the standard square lock I have on my door also? Is yours broken?
The year of your coach indicates you probably have the Keeler lock. The Keeler locks were used from somewhere in the mid 70s to somewhere in the late 80s. The lock assemblies are no longer available but there are a few parts for them that are being reproduced. If you can't repair a Keeler lock and you don't have a spare then your only option is to replace with some other brand which requires cutting and fitting into your door.

Tony (Isuzusweet) like a few others have spare Keeler locks. We paid through the nose for them knowing that when the original breaks the only options are to find a replacement Keeler lock or cut and fit something else into the door.

Quote:
I think s list showing inflated current market prices is two fold. It promotes greed and it also promotes individuals with the means to take risk to buy wreaks to part out. I am learning quick that if something breaks it could completely sideline enjoyment from regular motorhome useage.
You are 100% correct in there are some parts that if broken can really deter you from enjoying yourself and your motorhome.

Anyone who takes on parting out one of these motorhomes hopefully realizes the effort required is huge and the rewards are only so so! Of course there are different levels of parting out, if you just strip the most prized goodies and scrap the rest then I wouldn't necessarily consider that to be all that difficult. Going whole hog and literally salvaging as many parts and pieces that you can, can be extremely time consuming and you'll need space to store the parts. I think it was something like a 3 year span where I was regularly getting contacted about parts and surprisingly I still had some of what was asked for.

Quote:
So the list of items that consistently go for an approx price when found and needed:

-keeler brass front lock. $300
To be fair, the $300 price was for NOS Keeler locks still in the box. At one time I also was able to source a complete used Keeler lock without a key for around $75. The problem is if you really need one because your's is broken then how much is too much?! I guess my view on issues like this is if I feel it's needed to keep my rig operating the way I want it to I'll pay the price unless it's out right highway robbery, then I start looking at alternatives and workarounds.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I had to laugh this morning. This used Keeler latch assembly popped up on ebay overnight. NO it's not mine! Buy-It now for $250 plus $15 shipping.

The handle is busted but the seller claims it's in otherwise good shape. Vintage Trailer Supply lists a reproductin handle for the Keeler latch but shows to be out of stock.

Singletons RV in Washington lists reproduction handles but you have to call them for info. Click on the link and then search for Keyler (they spelled it wrong!).

Brad