Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Our latest addition...

Ok, so we belong to the WDCU unit where almost everyone has more that one Airstream. With only one (2006 75th anniv. edition 34 footer with slide out), we felt like something was missing and after months of searching, we now have an addition to our "FAMILY".

I have been reading the threads here and learning from you guys and taking notes, dreaming of when I will be posting about our purchase and that special drive home.

We drove to Hilton Head, SC this past Friday evening, in pouring rain. Yes, we are crazy but we were on a mission. When we made it to Maryland, it stopped raining. My husband and I took shifts driving the 780 miles, while our daughter slept in the 3rd row seat of my Yukon XL.

We made it to Pop Rivet's house around 10 and after checking, test driving and the rest of the good stuff, we bought a 1990 model 250 MH.

We had that "smile" that I read about! We left HH around 4PM and we drove it about a hundred miles, only to be in a "water seal test" chamber on I95...this would put the Airstream water leak test to shame...it pour so hard we couldn't see a thing...my husband was driving the moho and i was following him ...We returned to Santee SC where it was sunny and spent the night in our "new" moho.

Yesterday, we drove from Santee SC to Princeton NJ...a few hundred miles. My husband kept with the traffic, doing 65-70mph and we made it home without any issues.

Now there are 2 Airstreams in our driveway...time to start thinking of the remodel...Oh! I forgot to mention that it is all original inside. A nice time capsule.

Thanks for everyone's posts. I learned a lot from you!

Sonia
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Congratulations, Sonia

I can't wait to see photos. Sounds like you're going to have a great time. My wife and I made a similar "dash" from KC to Chicago this summer. It's been great!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wow!!! Congratulations! What an Adventure! And you have two absolutely amazing rigs now!!! You mentioned your daughter-- what does she think?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
My daughter is 11. She rode in the moho the whole time and loved it. But her plans are that she will take the 34 footer when she has a family of her own and my husband and I can have the moho as we might need to make more 'pit' stops during our travels.

Sonia
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Congratulations, Sonia

I can't wait to see photos. Sounds like you're going to have a great time. My wife and I made a similar "dash" from KC to Chicago this summer. It's been great!

Congrats!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
My daughter is 11. She rode in the moho the whole time and loved it. But her plans are that she will take the 34 footer when she has a family of her own and my husband and I can have the moho as we might need to make more 'pit' stops during our travels.

Sonia
Now isn't that CONSIDERATE of her!

Aluminitus - the tendency is inheritable I see!

Paula
Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Can't wait to see photos of your rig. Welcome to the Airstream Classic Motorhome 'club'!
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Congrats Sonia! Do you have your first trip planned? Next trip for us is Yosemite National Park first week of November. I don't know if I can wait that long!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
First trip

Hi Dads Toy,

Our first trip will be to Hershey Park, PA for the Columbus Day weekend. Then we will plan on another one in early November, possibly in the Shawangunks of NY for some hiking.

Sonia
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thats Awesome Sonia!
Cant wait for you to post up some pics in the Picture thread and share your new baby!
Would love to hear from your Husband and how it drove?
Do you ntend to drive her too?
I want to hear from the Ladies here, as I am planning to get my Girl behind the wheel!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
OK, so the Trailer Trash Queen may not technically qualify as one of the "ladies", but the next time a potty break is required in a...ahem...driving rain, being able to park, walk, and re-commence driving without climbing out and going back to the trailer(unlock, steps down, business, steps up, lock) will have you in awe of your choice...set your hooks deep on the moho, as the young lady may want it!!!
Welcome to a decision you won't regret...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Congrats! I know the feeling about wanting another one. I have it but I have yet to tell my husband. I don't know what he would think if I found another one to bring home. I think it's like finding kittens..."it followed me home...can't I pleeease keep him?"
Anyway...post some pictures! I would love to see it.
M
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Ladies driving? You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Thats Awesome Sonia!
Cant wait for you to post up some pics in the Picture thread and share your new baby!
Would love to hear from your Husband and how it drove?
Do you ntend to drive her too?
I want to hear from the Ladies here, as I am planning to get my Girl behind the wheel!
Of course! this lady likes to drive and I will be taking it out this weekend for a little practice. This will be my baby and I can be driving while my husband is on conference calls.

My husband liked the way it handled. He got used to it. I will ask him to post his opinion.

I'll try and post some pictures after a good cleaning and before we remodel.

Sonia
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Driving the moho

I took the new baby out today and after a few rounds around the development, I continued on to the High School's parking lot. I got into a an imaginary "pull thru" site, backed into a site (I stayed in the lines) and did some more driving to practice the wider turns.

I like it and it's not a big deal other than it takes longer to stop. Great decision. Next trip: I'm driving!

Sonia
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Sonia,

Glad to hear that its going well, but don't get over confident.

On my maiden voyage home, I said good bye to the p/o, climbed aboard, and started down the road. The ride on the open highway was a cinch, I was king of the road! When it was time to stop for food, I pulled off into the service plaza, and slipped into a parking space between a car and an SUV. Front row, the spot that I'm always after. No problem. As I walked toward the restaurant, I turned to look back at my new baby and realized that if not for the grace of God, and a few inches of clearance, I would have taken the mirrors off of both vehicles without ever knowing it. My moho looked like an ocean liner in a duck pond. While paused to admire my masterful parking job, I had to apologize to the family that was now trying to squeeze through the barely opened doors of their Suburban. They must have thought that I was the biggest idiot in the lot, and declined my offer to move, probably out of fear of seeing me do some real damage if given a second attempt.

They say that God looks out for children and fools. At my age I'm afraid that I fall into the latter category.

Moho driving lesson number one... Don't park with the other cars.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345

We NEED pics of you behind the wheel!!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I have had to(ok...ok...MORE than once) disconnect the toad in a busy parking lot to extricate myself(AND the adjoining parkers)...am waiting for this to show up on youtube...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
pictures..have to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post

We NEED pics of you behind the wheel!!!!!
Sorry, but my dear husband was too busy enjoying the view...I have toi wait for the real trip, but i'll post them

Sonia
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
OK, so the Trailer Trash Queen may not technically qualify as one of the "ladies", but the next time a potty break is required in a...ahem...driving rain, being able to park, walk, and re-commence driving without climbing out and going back to the trailer(unlock, steps down, business, steps up, lock) will have you in awe of your choice...
Umm... Mike? You are good. That's only a third of the steps I usually need.

Unlock, steps down, pump on, business, steps up, lock, drive away, ??!, stop on the offramp, unlock, steps half down, @*&@*&@! I HAD turned the pump off!!, steps up, lock.

Now, we don't wanna hear about Sonia & DH exchanging drivers at 40 mph for those inevitable comfort non-stops. [where's the high-five smilie?? ]

Sonia, I added your new unit to your profile. Otherwise you can do this any time by accessing your 'User CP' (control panel) from the site's overhead toolbar.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
Sorry, but my dear husband was too busy enjoying the view...I have to wait for the real trip, but i'll post them
Sonia

It will give him something to do while you are driving and grinning!