Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
On-Board Vacuum cleaner

I have found the on-board vac on my 310. I havent opened it up yet and it looks like it is fitted at the bottom of a cabinet in the bathroom under the bottom shelf.
I stuck a screw driver in (mains not turned on of course) and there is a click when I push it sideways. I'm guessing that it is activated when a hose is connected?? There is no on off switch so I guess this must be it. I have not seen much about it (will search later).
Is there a particular brand or design of the hose that has to fit it to turn on?
I am guessing that the hose has to have a push button spring loaded release to pull it out once inserted? The hose must be pretty long to reach end to end?

D
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Post pics! I wish we had one. We are considering adding one.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My '83 310 had one, a very useless device in my opinion. But yes, when you put the hose in the hole, it activated the unit. Now if the hose is gone, so is the bag system, which fit on the top of the cleaning wand like a big pill, about 8" in diameter. It held a special bag which of course was made out of unubtanium and I never could find any extras. The hose and wand took up too much space and were hard to store. I would spend my time on other things and when all of them are done, have a beer, and when that is done, and you still need work, you can get interested again.... big grin.

Don't try to vacuum anything without the bag, the dirt will just be blown into the space under the bathroom sink, after being sucked through the motor mechanism, causing it to have issues.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
A good battery powered portable vacuum is probably of more value and is easy to store. It can be used at the picnic table, the basement compartment, the toad, and if you get the right unit, the batteries operate a drill, sabre saw, sander/polisher, flashlight, etc.

B&D/Sears is my brand, but it is older, and I am not sure they sell the same today.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I found the exact filter for my '78 onboard vacuum at Grainger catalogue. Only problem is the vacuum likes 110v AC, which is usually very far away from where the trailer is.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
A simple wet/dry vac cannister of small proportion can be easily adapted for the rig...Shop Vac comes to mind...I carried one in my outside storage behind my battery slide drawer for several years, till I realized that for $10-15, I could get a regular vac at the local thrift store, use it while in situ, and give it back to them when I was ready to move...granted, my idea of dusting is to open the windows and drive faster than normal for a few miles, so the dust is evenly distributed...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote