Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

1984 31' Airstream310
Chapel-en-le-Frith , High Peak
Odometer

I have a 1984 310 motorhome that has a Stewart Warner Odometer with 9980 miles on it. Does anyone know if Airstream used Stewart Warner speedos or has mine been swopped out all the other gauges are Teleflex. An old owner of this motorhome says the mileage was very low when he owned it 5 years ago. Could this mileage be true ?
yankeespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Our 325 had 5420 miles on it. It's possible. First, check the tires. They have probably have been replaced,but still at 9900 miles, your brake rotors should look like new, as in no ridge on the outer edge. Rotors should be smooth too. Frame rust should be almost nonexseistant. Engine should be spotless, as in valve covers should be clean ,not rusty, tires should have a lot of dry rot,if they ar original. Check the dot date on the tires.
Check the steering components. Very little grease should be on the tie rod ends.
Stuff like gas lines rubber brake lines will look old and starting to crack.
If this coach has a lot of miles on it, but a new speedo, that now reads 9000 miles previous owner I would think replaced all of this stuff. Dj
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
How does the interior look. Should be pretty nice. Look at the steering wheel. Does it look old and worn out? Carpeting should look pretty good too.
The only problem with looking at a coach like this is , even if it's got low miles, you got to start off the refurb like the things got 100 k on it. So everything from fuel to cooling, brakes has to be looked at in depth. Otherwise you will be on the side of the road. I've had 2 gmcs and this is our second AS. Never broke down, but I went through every mechanical system before she ever hit the road.
Ops, we did break down in North Dakota. Our 78 gmc with a brand new fuel pump, died, as well as the coil, at the same time. What are the odds of that. Can you say miracle? That's my 2 cents worth for you . Good luck. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeespirit View Post
I have a 1984 310 motorhome that has a Stewart Warner Odometer with 9980 miles on it. Does anyone know if Airstream used Stewart Warner speedos or has mine been swopped out all the other gauges are Teleflex. An old owner of this motorhome says the mileage was very low when he owned it 5 years ago. Could this mileage be true ?
The original speedometer was made by Teleflex. From time to time you can find one on ebay.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote