Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Newby to MH wanting to buy near Houston TX

New to A/S MH but have owned at least 10 A/s trailers from year models 1964 to 1979 and am now thinking bout a motorhome

I am a two day drive from this unit 1983 Airstream RV (not running)

and have been obsessing over it for a week and am getting bids on having it shipped to me site on seen and if anyone here has seen it or would like to for me or for yourself...what ever..shes only showing it on the weekend of 1/21.

its on a ranch and has been parked for 10 to 12 years!

I think the price is right but someone should at least scout it out for any of us who may want to dig into it!

thanks

Alan in Belen NM
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I saw it too. Looks like a project...but, a good project. I plan a trip to the Valley next week and could sop by for you.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
alantbird, keep us posted on if you buy this or not. At some point, I remember the CampingWorld.com website had a 345 in Utah, sure that's not any closer, but may be in somewhat better condition (engine actually runs)
Just a thought.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Talk to Stespot about shipping, she made some interesting contacts and might be able to connect you with people that do runs between CA and FL that might have a "Deadhead" deal.
5k could be a steal, or too much... you need to get some good eyes on it.

Sounds like you will know what you are getting into with the bodywork side!
Not sure what the climate is down there, but it looks a drier/warmer deal.
I assume you will be doing the work yourself?
Sitting that long, in a field, you will need to look caefully for rodent damage.

Motor and mechanicals will be a shot in the dark.. but realistically, as you will come to find out, you end up replacing stuff anyway!
I have bought a few long term stored vehicles, and know the drill.
With 33k miles on it, the motor could be just fine inside... it depends on if the antifreeze was good. Sometimes you get lucky!

As you will know, start with all the fluids, before you start her, and again soon after. I would plan on replacing the waterpump and having the radiator cleaned/rodded or replaced, as they will most likely be suspect from sitting.

Brakes will need a complete rebuild from hydraboost to calipers, but with careful shopping it does not have to be mega money!

Then tires, Batteries, and do a few shakedown runs and find out what else is bad!

Keep us posted, as she needs a caring loving owner!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
My bud Tom Patterson (VAL) hooked me up with a salty dog from Houston who enthused me about it and I found a shipper who says they will charge me 1500.00.
The climate there is dryish and it does not freeze. Ive been collecting old cars for years that have sat. and its really just a BIG BIG CAR LOL. The owners daughter inlaw seems nice although clueless mechanically as she will tell you, but she sees the potential in it. they bought it new for the sons and did a few trips to national parks bfr parking it on the ranch and using it for a hunting cabin.
I told her I was posting it on the list to help me out and or find her a buyer.
I get one chance that weekend to have it looked at and get it picked up and will let the chips fall were they may! Having forums for our toys is always a GREAT HELP since we all share the same passions or obsessions (PICK YOUR POISON) if all else fails in the end my 93 cummins motor should be a nice upgrade from the 454 (SECRET FANTASY) thanks to all.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
alantbird, keep us posted on if you buy this or not. At some point, I remember the CampingWorld.com website had a 345 in Utah, sure that's not any closer, but may be in somewhat better condition (engine actually runs)
Just a thought.
Thanks, Derek
found the add....NOT too fond of the newer cabinet doors of that year. Looks more like a class b rig after all these years ive grown fond of tambour
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good luck!
I agree with you on the whole "Big Car" mentality... and a Big Chevy at that. dont get fooled by what sitting on top of the chassis!
If the 454 is good, stick with it...
If its toast, then for me the 6BT Cummins makes the most sense, although its still not cheap or cost effective as i would like.
It 'should be" a near drop in replacement, as there are kits for dropping it into places where the BBC used to live.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Have to say Steve, should you ever do the 6BT Cummins swap, please, please, please, take lots of pix and maybe even a video or two!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Ok folks, the "nice" lady just e-mailed me to say the in laws sold it to a family friend!
Thanks for all the input and advice.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantbird View Post
Ok folks, the "nice" lady just e-mailed me to say the in laws sold it to a family friend!
Thanks for all the input and advice.

Don't be too discouraged. This is a pretty good tool for keeping track of what's available. I searched for about 6 months before finding what I was looking for.

allofcraigs.com - Search ALL of Craigslist
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote