Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
newbie looking for parts and thoughts

Hi everyone,

We're purchasing our new home on wheels next week, 1990 Airstream 345 LE and have found out that there are a couple of things that need to repaired. They're more on the cosmetic side but we've searched the internet/the forum...etc and not sure if we're naming them right and just can't find them. Any help with where we could purchase these in Canada or a place that will ship....will be greatly appreciated...

1. low panel, driver side, behind wheel
2. reseal passengers side window
3. the step isn't working...Fuse?

We'd also like to find the manual for this year...so far we have found 1992 and 1989.....any tips?

Thank you
Stacey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4557.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	373259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 6.00.06 PM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	373264  

MissyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyD View Post
Hi everyone,

We're purchasing our new home on wheels next week, 1990 Airstream 345 LE and have found out that there are a couple of things that need to repaired. They're more on the cosmetic side but we've searched the internet/the forum...etc and not sure if we're naming them right and just can't find them. Any help with where we could purchase these in Canada or a place that will ship....will be greatly appreciated...

1. low panel, driver side, behind wheel
2. reseal passengers side window
3. the step isn't working...Fuse?

We'd also like to find the manual for this year...so far we have found 1992 and 1989.....any tips?

Thank you
Stacey

Congrats on your 345, 1990 345 are pretty rare

1. you will have to make that panel behind the wheel. I made them before from .040" aluminum. Not too hard but takes some special cutting tools.
2. Not sure what the passenger side window needs. 2 types of seals are used plus the channel insert. ODMRV.com sells the seals and the best channel insert to use is this:
https://jjautofabrics.com/as1268-all...ow-channel-96/
Many articles on the forum about this, like this one:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...air-19059.html

3. Start with tracing the power. The fuses used on these are usually self resetting fuse blocks. It may be the step module itself
4. 1989 will be just fine for 1990 345, I doubt there are any changes
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Stacey - I probably have the manual for your Kwikee steps. Can you post a picture of the step module (likely orange box underneath step with plastic number printed on it) and switch which is probably just inside door. Worth pointing out that steps are quite dangerous/powerful, especially scissor sides. Be careful working underneath them and I would recommend disconnecting power under step if tinkering about. Then reconnect (safely) and test. Steps should be getting power from the starter battery so can be live when the coach bats are disconnected
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
newbie looking for parts and thoughts

Check Chevy manuals below. Note that 1990 was a major switch over year for Chevy so try to ensure you replace parts off the casting numbers or parts stickers. Worth running a Compnine report off your VIN. Do you know if your coach has the TBI set up and also later gearbox (4L80E). The Airstream Classic Motorhome Sticky Thread!
https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho....php?p=1895497
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
Hi Peter

if I sent you a picture of the door...any chance you could tell if it looks a little off?? Not sure how hard doors are to straighten, fix or replace?? it seems like the current owner doesn't wanting to send more pics and its about 3600kms away...(sad)... the picture isn't great that we have but it seems to be sticking out at the bottom....??
Old 07-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Stacey, I am going to say this as kindly as possible, but if you think those types of issues are cosmetic, I am very worried for what you have got yourself into.

For example, as Peter indicates, the lower body panels will need to be fabricate from scratch, if any of the window parts are missing (other than seals/fuzzy channel) you are in trouble because they simply are not available.

It appears you have purchased without seeing the unit and without having a full understanding of what condition it is in, and honestly speaking, many are simply too far gone to be worth saving.

At best these coaches are the definition of a money pit and so the better the starting point the better.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
West Paducah , Kentucky
Hey Missie, Peter, Boom, & others.
While visiting my son in Boise, ID, from Paducah, KY, my son grabbed me up, and said, "Hey Dad, c'mon! I've found a sweet deal! Long story short, I quickly found myself the new owner of a 1991 36' Land Yacht, climate-control kept, with 44,000 miles, and I'm just too embarrassed to admit how little I paid for this unit.
Another long story short, I have returned to KY, and my wife and I will fly to Boise on Saturday, and make our maiden voyage of 1800 miles back home to Paducah, where we will begin our preparation to make it "our own", and to make us RV'r';s.
Another long story short, we had never imagined that we would be owners, and this "MONSTER" would have NEVER have been my idea of a starter unit. However, when I saw this huge unit's "Elvis" qualities, in like-new condition, and drove it, I was "HOOKED!"
Anyway, it has been in the committed care of an RV "wizard"'s shop, who has serviced this unit in the past, and he has been through all of the systems that will be required to allow for us to safely make the4-day trip (motels, restaurants, etc.) home. I will then turn it over to a long-time mechanic friend who has extensive motorhome experience, and is anxious to get into all of the support systems, and make sure that everything is "up to snuff".

I know that there will be all kinds of inquiries that I will make on this site, and it seems like this "Classic Motorhomes" forum will be one of the most appropriate place to find my peers.

If there are other forums that you guys (gals) think might be helpful in the "restoration" path that I will be on, (levelers, etc. need help) please reply to this post with your suggestions.

I'm just glad this group is here. I'm also a sailor, and I have been Blessed to be part of a couple of sailing forums for several years. I have helped (and been helped) my fellow sailors, and I know how valuable these communities can be.

Thanks!
Ron
ronreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hi Peter

if I sent you a picture of the door...any chance you could tell if it looks a little off?? Not sure how hard doors are to straighten, fix or replace?? it seems like the current owner doesn't wanting to send more pics and its about 3600kms away...(sad)... the picture isn't great that we have but it seems to be sticking out at the bottom....??

Post it here and I am sure others will chime in as well.
Take Martins post to heart, buying unseen is a huge risk. The seller should already have sent you 50+ high def pictures and some videos.
AIR #13
Old 07-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronreeder View Post

If there are other forums that you guys (gals) think might be helpful in the "restoration" path that I will be on, (levelers, etc. need help) please reply to this post with your suggestions.

I'm just glad this group is here. I'm also a sailor, and I have been Blessed to be part of a couple of sailing forums for several years. I have helped (and been helped) my fellow sailors, and I know how valuable these communities can be.

Thanks!
Ron

Hi Ron, congrats on your new Airstream Motorhome! You will get best results by starting your own personal thread you can always update and also look back later, what all you have done. (or should not have done, haha)
AIR #13
Old 07-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Toronto , Ontario
Sorry but I have to agree with Martin and Peter... without a stack of high resolution pictures I would keep looking. The interior looks heavily modified as well.
travco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
Thank you.... I will as soon as we get her home...
Old 07-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
Thank you very much!! All excellent info...
Old 07-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Stacey, I am going to say this as kindly as possible, but if you think those types of issues are cosmetic, I am very worried for what you have got yourself into.

For example, as Peter indicates, the lower body panels will need to be fabricate from scratch, if any of the window parts are missing (other than seals/fuzzy channel) you are in trouble because they simply are not available.

It appears you have purchased without seeing the unit and without having a full understanding of what condition it is in, and honestly speaking, many are simply too far gone to be worth saving.

At best these coaches are the definition of a money pit and so the better the starting point the better.

Thanks everyone for your honesty and knowledge...but we haven't yet purchased it..(key word "yet"). We are trying to get a better understanding of the condition and are so grateful for everyones input!!

We have asked for additional photos and a video but I'm not sure if we'll receive them and that does send up all kinds of RED FLAGS!! So....we're working with what we have and we'll make a decision with the knowledge and not our hearts...

in saying all of that ...here is the best picture of the door... Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3038.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	373399  
Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Londonderry , New Hampshire
The door does look bent. But it could also be the body next to
the door is pushed in. That would be much worse!

These have aluminum skins with aluminum structural supports.
It is all quite soft metal. This means that the door could probably
be bent back into it's correct shape without too much difficulty.

However, if the body is pushed in it would have to be disassembled
by drilling out a bunch of rivets. The internal supports would have
to be straightened and the skin riveted back into place.

It is all quite doable. The metal in that area is simply flat aluminum
that is curved to conform to the body shape, easy to do. The
aluminum on the front and rear is bent with compound curves
and is much harder to work with.

I would want lots of pictures of the front and rear to asses the
scale of your new project. Understand that these are projects
no matter what condition they are in.
Air345Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Toronto , Ontario
Google “moosehead airstream” and you will find other pictures and some history that may help in your decision
travco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Hi Missy D I have a door in great shape that will fit I'm in Calgary Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your honesty and knowledge...but we haven't yet purchased it..(key word "yet"). We are trying to get a better understanding of the condition and are so grateful for everyones input!!

We have asked for additional photos and a video but I'm not sure if we'll receive them and that does send up all kinds of RED FLAGS!! So....we're working with what we have and we'll make a decision with the knowledge and not our hearts...

in saying all of that ...here is the best picture of the door... Thoughts?

that door is a little troublesome. Air345Fly already described what it may take to fix it. No need to add more until additional info is available.
The drivers side panel most likely got taken out by a tire blow out. You also will be looking for some of the missing trim.

I found a couple of pictures when I searched for Moosehead, not sure if thats the coach in question? Exterior looks clean, but the upper part is probably painted silver, which sooner or later will need attention. Plus you never know whats hidden under a painted surface. It does not have the entire awning package, which always is a turn off for me, since they are so expensive. I saw some price quoted, which would be a reasonable entry price, as long as you have another 20k and a lot of time to make it right for your needs.
Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	d725e8a6160f9ee6ad70c88ce67f0a96.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	373434   Click image for larger version

Name:	6dc44b66a9031f537d8fac9c48e2f1fc.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	373435  

AIR #13
Old 07-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Missey D I know of a unit that will be for sale soon in Calgary
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
Thanks everyone....we have decided to not purchase this unit....but I know that we will be future Airstream owners!!!!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mulhurst Bay , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
Missey D I know of a unit that will be for sale soon in Calgary
Hi Jonathon

We’re heading to Red Deer today...that’s pretty just a hop skip and a jump to Calgary....