Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #61
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC1 View Post
Just checking pressures - front right airbag leaking instantly
I would deflate the other for balanced handling. You will be ok.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
650 miles in - so leveler a work, exhaust leak right side, heater valve not shutting off, cable moving must need a new valve. Appears to have an Allison trans, 4 speeds no park position. I'm thinking a leak in the rear airbags as compressor seems to run all the time. Steering could use tightening up. Getting 6mpg at 70 or as fast as full throttle will go up some hills (35mph in some cases). Overall happy.
DHC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #63
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
650 miles in - so leveler a work, exhaust leak right side, heater valve not shutting off, cable moving must need a new valve. Appears to have an Allison trans, 4 speeds no park position. I'm thinking a leak in the rear airbags as compressor seems to run all the time. Steering could use tightening up. Getting 6mpg at 70 or as fast as full throttle will go up some hills (35mph in some cases). Overall happy.
Awesome! Could it be the fuel pump you are hearing in the back? the compressor should be under the bed in the rear passenger side
AIR #13
Old 12-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Definitely the compressor - right rear under bed - pressure gauge below the green arc in morning - only takes 2-3 minutes to get back in green - runs a little above half way when on the road
Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Overall super happy with it. It's funny when you see them on their own they seem massive but when next to some of the 5th wheels and other MHs they get a lot smaller
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #66
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Before pulling the air bags, check lines and connections first as the airbags are pretty tough and connections to the compressor are known to get spotty with vibration.
Henderson Super Steer will set you on the straight and narrow. Lots of good stuff.

GM/Chevy P30 & P32 Chassis

Glad to hear that you're satisfied with your purchase.

Note. Things that are wrong are a blessing in disguise as you will understand how your coach works far better, once you fix them.

Yes, some of those fifth wheels weigh more than your coach.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I agree with Tony, check all air lines, fitting, etc., before you tackle the air bags. I had the same issue with the air pump running constantly. Good thing those Gast compressors are 100% duty cycle capable. My "main" leak was the check valve on the compressor. It was a very simple fix.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Thanks for the input - my thoughts exactly as far as checking lines and connections before assuming bags. Glad to hear the compressor is rated at 100% duty cycle!

Now the tag axle: are they typically splayed out at the bottom a bit? Mine are.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #69
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks for the input - my thoughts exactly as far as checking lines and connections before assuming bags. Glad to hear the compressor is rated at 100% duty cycle!

Now the tag axle: are they typically splayed out at the bottom a bit? Mine are.
If by "splayed out", you mean the wheels have negative camber; that could be a sign that the axle rubber rods are kaput and the axle spindle is being allowed to flex up. Inland Andy has stated that the tag axle does have a life expectancy of around 20-25 years.
What is the tire wear like on the tag axle tires? Your tires will tell you everything.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Ah... Made it home with no major problems. I will say that today was a driving challenge, heavy rain at times and winds gusting to 40mph, felt like steering a canoe through rapids with a spoon. Steering is high on my list.

Like Kreimer, I have also stored mine in a cave here in KC. There are literally millions of SF underground here that are old and some active limestone quarries. There are warehouses, businesses, etc. that occupy them, even the Ford plant here store new vehicles in them. The nicest thing is the temp is a constant 55-60 degrees. They can be dusty though.

Here's what I've learned so far: Mechanically the rig seems in very good condition, temps never over 200 and mostly around 190, 180 after a hard run and idling for a few minutes. The electric fas seems to work well. Oil pressure 70psi at cruise and 35 hot idle. Shifts great. No tire balance issues.

Coach for the most part working except for a few things. Shower fan was working but quit part way through. Heater valve for dash heat needs replaced as well as the under sofa unit. Both blew air fine.S stove, furnaces, water heater, fridge, interior lights all good. Head working. Levelers working. Searchlight working (came in handy last night finding our spot).

I have to trace a few things down: Rear airbag system leaking somewhere, front airbags need replaced, STEERING - 3 inches of play at speed at least. I think the tag axle needs attention (tires are new, so not enough wear to tell, but they are clearly not completely vertical, they will wear). Alternator not up to snuff, charging, but not enough.

Someone has put an MSD manual advance unit on it. I am not familiar with them, but seems to be a formula for disaster. I messed with it a bit, didn't seems to make a lot of difference. The only way I can figure out if you've advanced it too far is if it's pinging, I don't like that much. If anyone knows these and thinks they're great, I'm all ears for proper usage.

I'll think of more. Appreciate all the comments!!

Glad to see Keimer make it back, we'll have to meet sometime and compare notes.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #71
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Ah... Made it home with no major problems. I will say that today was a driving challenge, heavy rain at times and winds gusting to 40mph, felt like steering a canoe through rapids with a spoon. Steering is high on my list.

Like Kreimer, I have also stored mine in a cave here in KC. There are literally millions of SF underground here that are old and some active limestone quarries. There are warehouses, businesses, etc. that occupy them, even the Ford plant here store new vehicles in them. The nicest thing is the temp is a constant 55-60 degrees. They can be dusty though.

Here's what I've learned so far: Mechanically the rig seems in very good condition, temps never over 200 and mostly around 190, 180 after a hard run and idling for a few minutes. The electric fas seems to work well. Oil pressure 70psi at cruise and 35 hot idle. Shifts great. No tire balance issues.

Coach for the most part working except for a few things. Shower fan was working but quit part way through. Heater valve for dash heat needs replaced as well as the under sofa unit. Both blew air fine.S stove, furnaces, water heater, fridge, interior lights all good. Head working. Levelers working. Searchlight working (came in handy last night finding our spot).

I have to trace a few things down: Rear airbag system leaking somewhere, front airbags need replaced, STEERING - 3 inches of play at speed at least. I think the tag axle needs attention (tires are new, so not enough wear to tell, but they are clearly not completely vertical, they will wear). Alternator not up to snuff, charging, but not enough.

Someone has put an MSD manual advance unit on it. I am not familiar with them, but seems to be a formula for disaster. I messed with it a bit, didn't seems to make a lot of difference. The only way I can figure out if you've advanced it too far is if it's pinging, I don't like that much. If anyone knows these and thinks they're great, I'm all ears for proper usage.

I'll think of more. Appreciate all the comments!!

Glad to see Keimer make it back, we'll have to meet sometime and compare notes.

Congrats for making it back without issues! I see that you copying part of my list I posted prior to your departure . It seems we all share a lot of items on that list.
I find it amazing that you and Kreimer would go get a 345 some thousand miles away to store them in the same underground cavern within a couple of days. And did you said, you don't know each other?
AIR #13
Old 12-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Keimer and I have never met, and funny enough the day he arrived in KC, his rig was parked less than a block from my son's home (my son sent a pic). He and I will have to meet up soon though. Interesting coincidence for sure.

He's storing his in a different location than mine, there are several of these old Quarries around KC. The one I'm at still quarries limestone in a different part of the property. They are quite extensive. I know people that have never winterized boats or RV's because they store them in the caves.

All said, 1,150 miles for me, a bit further for Kreimer. While there are some things I need to attend to, it is about what I hoped for, and a lot less than it could have been.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Nice conclusion to your maiden voyage DHC1. Funny coincidence for sure.
You guys and your caves, too good.

We just had a good thread on replacing tag axels on our classics. But it's not coming up in my search. Maybe someone else can find it. They are available complete from Inland RV in Ca. or naked from a restoration guy. Colin Hyde I think.

Ay any rate congrats, go enjoy the holidays. And touch in when you are back at it with you coach.

Cheers Richard.
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Thanks Richard, I'll have to research the tag. I am sure I'll talk to Inland, if I'm going to do it, I really want it right the first time. I haven't looked at them in any detail, hard to imagine they're just done. I would have thought with new bushings, etc. they could be repaired. They must be more complex than I am imagining.

Kurt
Old 12-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #75
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Richard, I'll have to research the tag. I am sure I'll talk to Inland, if I'm going to do it, I really want it right the first time. I haven't looked at them in any detail, hard to imagine they're just done. I would have thought with new bushings, etc. they could be repaired. They must be more complex than I am imagining.

Kurt
All the 345 I have seen and the one I owned had that slight off set of the tag axle wheels and tires. Our friend Roquefort (Marcus) recently commented about his 345 having X legs. I dont know the degree of yours, can you post a picture?
AIR #13
Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Tag photo

This is right side, left has less lean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1832.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	254506  
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #77
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
This is right side, left has less lean
That is more than I have seen on other 345's.
I would inspect everything around that drum and axle shaft soon. The tag axle gets damaged from being towed incorrectly.
AIR #13
Old 12-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
KC , Missouri
Thanks Peter, that's my thought as well. Which leads to another general question: where have people found the best place to go for this type of work, a truck repair facility or RV repair?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I've had a little work done at a truck repair place. Worked out well.
The RV places I've checked out reminded me of yacht chandleries, shameless about pricing, iffy competency.
The Tag axle is not standard P 30 gear tho. I'd start at truck places to see if they are up for the job.

And yes that wheel looks pretty far out of line. Could be an issue in the hub, spindle, bearing area.
Did you check for heat after long runs?

Sure was good to learn recently that new axles are available now. Not always the case. This was a big red flag against the 345s at that time.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
There is a place that services class a motorhomes up by Parkville. I don't know much about them unfortunately. We definitely need to get together and race sometime... haha! and by race I mean drink vodka under the awnings... Glad you made it home! Are you in the Innerspace caves or Subtropolis? I guess there is the Interstate caves over by independence too...
Kreimer is offline   Reply With Quote