Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Airstream Classic

Post My new 345

Well, I finally did it. Flew the family to Florida to pick up our new 1987 345 and spent the weekend driving back to Tulsa. Thank you to everyone here for such a valuable source of information. If anyone else is in Tulsa, please let me know.
There has been much talk on the forum about Airmark Tools in Tulsa so I want to let you know that I called them this week to inquire about their services and was told that they don't provide resoration services anymore. They only sell the supplies.
airstream963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend! Waving "hi" from Missouri! Congratulations on your purchase!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Congratulations! Be sure to bring it up here to Wisconsin so I can see it. Happy to have you on board.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream963
Well, I finally did it. Flew the family to Florida to pick up our new 1987 345 and spent the weekend driving back to Tulsa...
Congratulations and condolences.....

I think it was StevenW (or one of the other MoHo owners here - ownership of a "Classic" definetly creates Brain Clouds) who stated "...the purchase price is an entry fee to start spending money".

It (the Classic) IS an addictive (and expensive) habit.

Sounds like a familiar story.

Please consider posting your serial number here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...+serial+number

The search engine here on the Forums will keep you busy for many a dark and dreary night - like any computer, you have to ask it the right question - for example, if you want to ask about trouble with the heating system, you may have to search for "furnace", "heater", "gas burner", "sail switch", "blower", etc.

All of us appreciate pictures - document before and after views of any project.

In hindsight, as much as the looks of mine have changed, both interior and exterior, I am glad that I have had the opportunity to archive pictures here on the Forum as the 345 has evolved.

Good Luck!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Post Congratulations!

Congrats on the new MoHo! I'm sure you enjoyed your trip from Florida. I've only owned my Airstream for a little over a year now and I really enjoy it and the forums. Look forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about your MoHo! Again, congratulations!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Nice Choice!

Congradulations on your "new"345,the best model of Classic MoHo by far (but I'm a little biased).

Welcome and don't hesitate to ask the forum when you need help or advice. It make ownership of one of these beauties much much easier.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yes the 345 is a desirable model, however "best" is very subjective don't you think???

As for me the 280 is a marvelous model......
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Airstream Classic

Thank you for your replies. I guess the work starts now. This week I plan to rip out the carpet and take the couch and chairs out for reapholstery. I'm thinking of covering them with leather. I found a site that offers wholesale leather at good prices. My family has an interior decorating business so I can buy wholesale at $1.50 - 2.50 per foot. Does anyone know how many feet it takes to do the couch and the two chairs? Also, if anyone else is considering the same thing, I may be able to order the leather for you as well. I just hope I don't find any suprises under the carpet. Right now, pictures are on airstreammotorhomes.com. Thanks Fred, great site.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
lucky to have the connections for the leather. My seats were done in a vinyl material that looks and feels like leather, but of course cost less. We have been happy with how it has held up the past three years. Also trimmed the other cloth covered areas on the walls and above the drivers/passenger searting areas on the cabinet ends, in the same stuff.
Can't beat real leather though.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
You might want to take a few short trips to local parks and get used to the layout of your coach before doing any major remodeling. The interiors of these classics can be changed in many ways and you just might want to make some adjustments before doing anything major.
We just took out our dinette table and replaced it with a gaucho left over from a remodel of my 75 Tradewind. I trimmed it in oak and lowered it so it makes a comfortable sofa. With a memory foam mattress and a custom bolster it is a great place to stretch out across from the sofa on the other side of the aisle. Our table will be put in the Tidee plugs found in the middle of the aisle. This idea came to us after several trips when we became used to how we were going to use this coach.
Remember the purchase price of a classic is only the down payment.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
Airstream Classic

Oops...too late.

Today I took out the couch, chairs, curtains and the interior fabric panels. It was all pretty easy. I've never done a project like this before, so it's all an adventure. Kent, I'm not planning on changing the configuration like you did, but thank you for the advice. Do you have pictures of your new couch? I don't see any listed under your profile.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to remove the curbside paneling. It is on both sides of the curbside table. I took the screws out of the front and from the window sill but it won't budge. I wonder if the table has to come out? Anyone done this before on a 345?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[
The only thing I can't figure out is how to remove the curbside paneling. It is on both sides of the curbside table. I took the screws out of the front and from the window sill but it won't budge. I wonder if the table has to come out? Anyone done this before on a 345?[/QUOTE]

I am almost certain if you look hard enough you will find that it is riveted. Welcome to the world of Airstream and drilling rivets.
I plan to post pictures of my latest update when it is complete. The bolsters arrive Friday and i still need to build the table. I want to have it finished by the first rally next week.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream963
..... I wonder if the table has to come out? Anyone done this before on a 345?
Several of us have....yes, the table does have to come out, also the panels are held with screws (both vertical and horizontal) secured to the window trim.

On edit - There are also two vertical stringers attached to each panel - these stringers will have a couple of long screws attaching to the aluminum - you have to look carefully for these screws as they are "buried" in the panel fabric.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
345 how do you get the armrest out?

Yesterday we pulled the sofa, chairs and dinnette cushions out to reupholster. could not figure out how to get the armrest/drinkholder between the couch and the dinette out. Pulled screws out from the dinette back but it is still attached somewhere!! also what is the sequence in getting the curbside panels out? I only found one screw in the fabric, the ones in the window sill were only 3/8" long and did not secure the panelling. We are loving the start of this adventure. It is a 1985 345 thanks Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
The dinette armrest is also screwed into the floor and the back of the dinette (from the dinette side) both above and below the seat cushion. I removed the plywood seat on the dinette before I found everything. Look hard for floor screws as they are typically hidden or in bracing inside of the armrest. Also check for screws into the sofa frame itself.

Remember that these were assembled by guys with screwguns and a box of screws so the locations and frequency of the fasteners was up to the assembler. (I found three screws within 3" on my armrest.)

On the panels I found that by removing what I could see, then pulling and tugging on the panels I could figure out where the other fasteners were located. They seemed to be below or "inside" the fabric in some cases and I really needed to dig for them.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
345 how do you get the armrest out?

ditto what Steven said above....

On the arm rest - first remove the sofa bed - then contort your body and look up into the arm rest area from above and below - utilize the under seat storage doors - there are one or two screws in the lower area also (I assume you have a copy of the Kama Sutra?).

On the curb side panels - if they do not come out easily there is still a screw or two hidden.

On mine there were several long vertical (and horizontal) screws holding the sill to the panels - the sill needs to be removed almost all of the way.

One thing I wish I had done to mine during reupholstry - add a layer of "Tempur-pedic" or similar material to ALL of the seating areas - I would highly recommend that you do it NOW instead of WISHING you had done it. I really screwed up in not adding a premium seat cushion to the drivers seat when I had the chance.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 05-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #17
Airstream Classic

Debbie,

It sounds like you are doing the same think I am at the same time. I spent the last two evenings pulling out the interior as well. As I mentioned earlier, I'm stuck on getting the curbside panels out too. Kent & Steve (I think?) posted some good tips for doing it in this thread. I can't take another look at mine until Saturday, but I hope they help you in your efforts.

Hey guys, thank you for the helpfull information.

I found an ugly suprise last night. I pulled up a corner of the carpet and litlle black ants spread like wildfire. Ants and white eggs everywhere. Sick. I was wondering where the ants were coming from.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #18
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Love having all of these 345 owners around. We should have a 345 rally someday. (Of course we could still invite those wimps who don't have the guts to drive 35 feet of pure Airstream )
Old 05-06-2005, 05:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Question

Wimps huh, how bout a mountain run 280 vs 345? Now that would show the true mettle of a MH driver!!
(of course I am kidding no one in his right mind would try to do that...we freak just cruising the Blue ridge)
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Mtn Run - Are you kidding? I had to change my shorts after climbing the hill to the Cloudland Caynon rally.