Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #101
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I suppose this is where it's going to start getting interesting. Thinking about it, the original airstream tracks are somewhat flexible in that they give slightly with the weight of the window. I would think there would be a downside that give in that it would be easier to cock the window while trying to open it. The ones I print are pretty much a solid mass so no real give to them...........

Keep me posted on what you find.

Brad
You appear to be spot on Brad. I made a simple 'stick gauge' the length of the distance between the top and bottom track, and the center is approx 1/16" shorter than the edges, ie the top/bottom rails bow together slightly. Your insert is solid so that 1/16" translates to the gap at the center of the rail being under the height of the window, causing the binding.

I work around for me was to sand the bottom of the insert until the gap was constant (between top and bottom insert), seems perfect now!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
You appear to be spot on Brad. I made a simple 'stick gauge' the length of the distance between the top and bottom track, and the center is approx 1/16" shorter than the edges, ie the top/bottom rails bow together slightly. Your insert is solid so that 1/16" translates to the gap at the center of the rail being under the height of the window, causing the binding.

I work around for me was to sand the bottom of the insert until the gap was constant (between top and bottom insert), seems perfect now!
That's good to hear. It would be pretty difficult to 3D print a track in the same profile as the original track. 3D printing doesn't like to print large overhangs which is what the original track required. I tried different methods when I was coming up with the design but the success rate was really low in getting them to print properly.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #103
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
What you have designed is perfect if each window is square Brad.

Unfortunately either due to a lack of quality of the OEM suppliers, coupled with Airstreams liberal use of a '3lb persuader' to make things fit during construction, means I doubt any classic motorhome window is truly 'square'.

It really was a 5 min customization of the insert for it to work perfectly. Just something others using them need to consider.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
What you have designed is perfect if each window is square Brad.

Unfortunately either due to a lack of quality of the OEM suppliers, coupled with Airstreams liberal use of a '3lb persuader' to make things fit during construction, means I doubt any classic motorhome window is truly 'square'.

It really was a 5 min customization of the insert for it to work perfectly. Just something others using them need to consider.
Well we all know Airstream build quality is top notch so your windows must have been installed incorrectly by AS NE

Your solution to the problem is probably the only solution out there. It would be impossible to 3D print a strip that is not flat on the bottom. The basis of 3D printing is the print bed is perfectly flat.

The one thing that can be done is the strips can be made thicker should someone have a window that is out of spec the other way although I think just shimming with shim stock would be an easier approach in this case.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #105
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The only thing square on my Airstream is the faceframe for my cabinetry......other than that, nothing is square on an Airstream.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
The only thing square on my Airstream is the faceframe for my cabinetry......other than that, nothing is square on an Airstream.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Old 06-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #107
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
How many slides would a company make for us?

Sent this PM to Brad, our current 3D printer guru:
Could you send me the window slider 3D files? I'm going to a Plastecs South Tech gathering-they offered free admission!! https://bityl.co/CeL8
Figure on carrying 1 of my slides & your files.

Goal is to hopefully connect with someone who could provide the answer to our prayers. Would you guesstimate the desired quantity of slides that could be ordered? I anticipate either 3D printing or injection molding providing our solution. Any ideas you would have for additional products to interest a supplier?

As promised I'm also posting here to try to get an objective number to drum up interest from a supplier.

Perhaps the best response for anybody interested would be to send me a PM with your individual need/potential order quantity. I'm planning on attending on the 15th, so your response by 6/14/22 before 7 PM would be appreciated.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Sent this PM to Brad, our current 3D printer guru:
Could you send me the window slider 3D files? I'm going to a Plastecs South Tech gathering-they offered free admission!! https://bityl.co/CeL8
Figure on carrying 1 of my slides & your files.

Goal is to hopefully connect with someone who could provide the answer to our prayers. Would you guesstimate the desired quantity of slides that could be ordered? I anticipate either 3D printing or injection molding providing our solution. Any ideas you would have for additional products to interest a supplier?

As promised I'm also posting here to try to get an objective number to drum up interest from a supplier.

Perhaps the best response for anybody interested would be to send me a PM with your individual need/potential order quantity. I'm planning on attending on the 15th, so your response by 6/14/22 before 7 PM would be appreciated.
No PM was received.