Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #1141
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
thank you for the great info Bob. Ill start the search. Might be a month before I pull the trigger. I'd like to have them before we head west in Dec., just in case!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #1142
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Mike

This subject has vexed me as well. Yeah our engines have massive compression, anywhere from 16:5:1 to 17:5:1, which requires a heavy duty starter and copious battery power to turn over, hence all the batteries are ganged together.

What I can't understand with our system is, yes, upon starting, the engine draws from all three batteries, with the starter battery being a true starter battery, as it gives that initial blast of power to move the starter; with the deep cycle batteries giving additional power to help out once the starter starts asking for more power. However the converter when plugged into shore power will not recharge the starter battery, which is isolated; don't ask me how I found that one out. I now always plug a battery tender from shore power to the starter battery to keep it recharged.

As for replacement batteries......you could make the tray deeper and insert two massive amp/hr (golf cart) 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volt, but these are expensive. AGM batteries are restricted to size and are pricey, so the biggest marine deep cycle batteries you can fit in are the way to go.

Another option to gaining some battery power on the move is to possibly tap any batteries you have in your toad for more power. I may have another two to three batteries in our Metro one day.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #1143
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Under "Normal" conditions, when you arrive at your campsite you shut the engine off, then you shut off the battery disconnect by the door which separates the engine battery from the possibility of any parasite draw. For those that don't have a shut off switch by the door you hope that your battery isolator is doing it's job. When the on board 12 volt charger is working you normally have a load, refrigerator, lights, furnace, water pump, radio etc. which is drawn from the house batteries, if the Univolt or whatever you wish to call it was also charging the starter battery it would slowly cook it to the point where it would become useless being that there is no draw on it unless you have a short in your electrical system or you have mistakingly connected something to it. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #1144
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Uh huh, except I don't have the old Univolt that will cook batteries.....I have a Progressive Dynamics with charge Wizard technology...........

I did tell Bob on many occasions that electricity is just plan Black Magic.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #1145
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I don't know why this thread was recently dug up, but it is relevant. Maybe drop Steve a line and find out what he ended up with.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ecs-86428.html

Cheers
Tony

Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 AM   #1146
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Looks like he went with 2 six volt.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #1147
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I had the 6 volt set up in the Snap-On truck when it was new.....I thought it sucked....was constantly running around 9.7 volts when I had the interior flourescent lights on and burning out the ballasts. The best set up that has worked for me in the every day use catagory is 12 volt....4 for the interior lights, 2 for the furnace, 2 for the inverter, which powers the computer and printer, 2 for generator, 8000 watt onan quiet diesel. and 2 for engine, Detroit 8.2 litre diesel, all on separate circuits that don't draw off each other. Took me about 6 years to get that all figured out where the system works every day summer, winter....no problems, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #1148
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Mike

This subject has vexed me as well. Yeah our engines have massive compression, anywhere from 16:5:1 to 17:5:1, which requires a heavy duty starter and copious battery power to turn over, hence all the batteries are ganged together.

What I can't understand with our system is, yes, upon starting, the engine draws from all three batteries, with the starter battery being a true starter battery, as it gives that initial blast of power to move the starter; with the deep cycle batteries giving additional power to help out once the starter starts asking for more power. However the converter when plugged into shore power will not recharge the starter battery, which is isolated; don't ask me how I found that one out. I now always plug a battery tender from shore power to the starter battery to keep it recharged.

As for replacement batteries......you could make the tray deeper and insert two massive amp/hr (golf cart) 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volt, but these are expensive. AGM batteries are restricted to size and are pricey, so the biggest marine deep cycle batteries you can fit in are the way to go.

Another option to gaining some battery power on the move is to possibly tap any batteries you have in your toad for more power. I may have another two to three batteries in our Metro one day.

Cheers
Tony
Tony the coach and chassis batteries are only momentarily tied together by the solenoid on the side of our battery box. When you turn your key to the start position, it activates the solenoid. When you release the key to the run position the solenoid deactivates and the batteries separate to normal. So, if your system is working correctly, you shouldn't have any amperage draw on your chassis battery while camped. UNLESS you have a parasitic drain on it OR a po has tied a electrical device to the chassis battery that should be on the coach batteries.
I do have a fail safe in battery disconnect switches on both systems.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #1149
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Tony the coach and chassis batteries are only momentarily tied together by the solenoid on the side of our battery box. When you turn your key to the start position, it activates the solenoid. When you release the key to the run position the solenoid deactivates and the batteries separate to normal. So, if your system is working correctly, you shouldn't have any amperage draw on your chassis battery while camped. UNLESS you have a parasitic drain on it OR a po has tied a electrical device to the chassis battery that should be on the coach batteries.
I do have a fail safe in battery disconnect switches on both systems.
Totally right Mike, except I have no disconnects and it doesn't stop an idiot from leaving the marker lights on all night, which drains the starter battery; which can't be recharged via the converter while plugged in.......which is why I now carry a battery tender for my starter battery; because it's not idiot proof.

FYI I think Steve went with FOUR 6V batteries.

Cheers
Tony

Old 10-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #1150
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
MAYCO's 1982 310 TD

I deepened the battery tray by approx 2 1/2 to accommodate the additional depth of the GC batteries, and also made the tray wider (along the slide width) by about 3/4 so that 2 batteries will fit side by side. Doing that gave me space for 8x 6v if I want although weight is a concern at that point. I could relocate the chassis battery somewhere else if I did that. I only actually bought 2x 6v batteries to go along with and despite the 6 years of inactivity they are still working fine. If I did the tray again, I would probably do it in Aluminum for some weight saving and corrosion resistance. Still may do that if I go with 6 x 6v as I would need to rework the slides anyway. Adding a nice solar system would make that setup monstrous!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #1151
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I carry a charger too Tony....because I am that idiot
The switches don't do me much good if I forget to use them
Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #1152
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I deepened the battery tray by approx 2 1/2 to accommodate the additional depth of the GC batteries, and also made the tray wider (along the slide width) by about 3/4 so that 2 batteries will fit side by side. Doing that gave me space for 8x 6v if I want although weight is a concern at that point. I could relocate the chassis battery somewhere else if I did that. I only actually bought 2x 6v batteries to go along with and despite the 6 years of inactivity they are still working fine. If I did the tray again, I would probably do it in Aluminum for some weight saving and corrosion resistance. Still may do that if I go with 6 x 6v as I would need to rework the slides anyway. Adding a nice solar system would make that setup monstrous!
Steve the work you've been doing lately in your shop is mind blowing. I read all your posts and study the pictures........and am clueless on half or most of it. But I still read them!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #1153
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks!
Just an extension to what I used to do every day.
Im just trying to figure out how to make something I want!
I will post a pic of my battery tray mod if it will help?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #1154
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Pics showing: Before with some of the rot visible, how that extra width allows mounting 2x batteries side by side, and a final pic showing how that extra depth is barely visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (12).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	296958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00483.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	296959  

Name:	006 (10).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	296960  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #1155
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Finally got my little DR on the hitch and ready to go.

Name:	IMG_1567.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	297291
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #1156
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Very cool Mikey.........you have gusseted the hitch right? Like I did on this thread? Cause if you didn't......she going to bend when that bike bounces up and down.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ed-138729.html

Cheers
Tony

PS Do you hang on to Lynn around her waist when you ride or do you reach behind and grab the rear fender? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #1157
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Very cool Mikey.........you have gusseted the hitch right? Like I did on this thread? Cause if you didn't......she going to bend when that bike bounces up and down.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ed-138729.html

Cheers
Tony

PS Do you hang on to Lynn around her waist when you ride or do you reach behind and grab the rear fender? Inquiring minds want to know.

She won't let me ride behind her Tony, she says it cramps her style...

Hitch gusseted and added steel.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #1158
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
She won't let me ride behind her Tony, she says it cramps her style...

Hitch gusseted and added steel.
Awesome; then you are good to go. Remember, always rubber side down when riding motorcycles.

Cheers
Tony

Old 10-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #1159
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I modified the load/unloading ramp today to decrease the angle a bit. Just made an extension to make it longer. Boy does it make a difference. I'm excited about the opportunitities it will provide while traveling. No intentions of anything but back roads and maybe very short distances on any type of US roads. It's nothing but a little grocery getter anyway, not too bad trail riding. I'm afraid Wrigley will have to stay behind on the couch. I think a couple more small mods to the carrier for strength and we are good to go.

We are going to do a short trip here in the next week or so to one of our favorite spots just and hour away from home. Give it a shakedown before we head west to Colorado in mid December. Should be fun.

Speaking of fun, it sure was great to see you and Gabbie, John an Ann, and all the rest at the get together. What a great group of folks eh? I'm so glad we pulled the trigger and decided to go. We really look forward to our MOTORHOME GET TOGETHERS. So many interesting life stories, wayyyyy beyond the whole Airstream world. Fun, adventurous, kind, SMART, and instantly comfortable group to hang out and spend time with. Good stuff!!!

Mike
Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #1160
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If Kota has his way the next one will be a lot closer for you both; and hopefully four days.

Next time we meet I'm hoping to convince Lynn to run for President. I figure he'll be bored by then and tired from taking everything apart. Now that would be cool......Mike in his 310 pulling out of 1600 Pennslyvania ave.

Cheers
Tony