Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #901
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Good catch and on the road repair, Mike.

It's hard to imagine the alt over charging, mine has a hard time even keeping up with demand at night.
And night driving is my means of getting across the desert between Az and the coast.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #902
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Richard. Man, thank god for the internet eh? Grounds can do the strangest things and affect devices in ways I'd never think of.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #903
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We made it to just outside of Denver yesterday afternoon. Everything was smooth sailing with the rig but EXTREMELY windy. Last minute decision to stop one more night just outside of Denver to rest up, shower, and chill out for a day before we head into town to be with my daughter and new grandson....once again, it was a last minute decision......So here is another good story for you guys;

Once we get into my daughters neighborhood we will be hosted by a fellow Airstreamer near my daughters home. We've never met before but my daughter made the initial contact and Steve (Airstreamer) has so kindly offered up his driveway to us for a few days before our reservation starts and at some state and local parks. Incredibly nice!!!! We had originally planned on arriving at his house yesterday morning but like I said, last minute decision to stop one more night on the road. Come to find out, we talked this morning, that a huge old cottonwood tree next to his drive where we would have been parked, FELL AND LANDED SQUARE ON THE SPOT WE WOULD HAVE BEEN PARKED!!!!!!!!!! If not for our last minute decision to stop one more night on the road, our beloved 310 would have been CRUSHED!!!!!! We have been blessed SO many times on the road that I can't even count them. Thank you God, Budha, Ala, Airstream Gods, WHOEVER YOUR HIGHER POWER MIGHT BE!
Feeling incredibly blessed this morning! Big fat WOW!

Mike n Lynn
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #904
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
So we overnighted at a KOA along I70 east of Denver about 25 miles..first time at a KOA, thats an experience all in its own. Did see this fifth wheel with a fold down deck/patio thats kind of interesting...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1785.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	287477
Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #905
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We made it to just outside of Denver yesterday afternoon. Everything was smooth sailing with the rig but EXTREMELY windy. Last minute decision to stop one more night just outside of Denver to rest up, shower, and chill out for a day before we head into town to be with my daughter and new grandson....once again, it was a last minute decision......So here is another good story for you guys;

Once we get into my daughters neighborhood we will be hosted by a fellow Airstreamer near my daughters home. We've never met before but my daughter made the initial contact and Steve (Airstreamer) has so kindly offered up his driveway to us for a few days before our reservation starts and at some state and local parks. Incredibly nice!!!! We had originally planned on arriving at his house yesterday morning but like I said, last minute decision to stop one more night on the road. Come to find out, we talked this morning, that a huge old cottonwood tree next to his drive where we would have been parked, FELL AND LANDED SQUARE ON THE SPOT WE WOULD HAVE BEEN PARKED!!!!!!!!!! If not for our last minute decision to stop one more night on the road, our beloved 310 would have been CRUSHED!!!!!! We have been blessed SO many times on the road that I can't even count them. Thank you God, Budha, Ala, Airstream Gods, WHOEVER YOUR HIGHER POWER MIGHT BE!
Feeling incredibly blessed this morning! Big fat WOW!

Mike n Lynn
I'm assuming you immediately went out and bought a lottery ticket.....!!!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #906
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
. that a huge old cottonwood tree next to his drive where we would have been parked, FELL AND LANDED SQUARE ON THE SPOT WE WOULD HAVE BEEN PARKED!!!!!!!!!! If not for our last minute decision to stop one more night on the road, our beloved 310 would have been CRUSHED!!!!!!...
Mike n Lynn
Don't know Mike, with your luck recently, the tree probably would have fallen just in a way to do a complete front axle adjustment for free.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #907
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh-airstreamer View Post
don't know mike, with your luck recently, the tree probably would have fallen just in a way to do a complete front axle adjustment for free.
hahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #908
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Enjoying our time in Denver and finally getting to hang out with THIS BIG GUY!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	287606Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	287607Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	287608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	287610

and of course my lovely daughter

Name:	IMG_1286.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	287611

Ok, enough.....had to sneak a few pics in of my first grandchild

Have a great day fellas!

(Our host here in Denver has been the absolute most gracious, kind, and accommodating person you could imagine. We've commandeered his driveway for days now. Something to be said for fellow Airstream owners for sure. Got to tour his 2016 20' flying cloud the other day...WOW! Beautiful little rig, for the life of me I couldn't find the motor though)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #909
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Any guesses folks on who got the kid a dime bag and a Marley T-shirt?

Beautiful family Mike; you must be a proud Papa.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #910
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
"one love mon"
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #911
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Been on the road now for a couple weeks, having an incredible trip so far! Left Denver a couple days ago and are now camped on the banks of the St Vrain river in Lyons Colorado. Wish you could hear the water!

Name:	IMG_1827.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	287856Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1820.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	287857Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	287858Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	287859Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	564.2 KB
ID:	287860Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1801.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	287861

Our son gets married this coming sat. Great trip!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #912
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	287891

I guess they weren't kidding about the snakes!!!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #913
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Attachment 287891

I guess they weren't kidding about the snakes!!!!!
Keep in mind snakes like to slither up into dark places......
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #914
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Heyyyyyyy fellas!
We are still out on the road in Colorado having fun. Sons wedding went well and dear lord I'm glad its over with.....PITA!!!!! I know, I shouldn't say that. But I need some advice, I'm out of ideas.

I thought I had cleared up this overcharge problem with my voltage regulator but it still persists. I'm getting readings up to 15.6 at the battery with my meter. If I turn on the lights it drops to 13.65 at idle but when RPMs are increased it will rise up to 15v or so at the battery. Here is what Ive done so far

Installed new OEM voltage regulator
Added a ground wire from voltage regulator direct to frame
Super cleaned battery terminals n cables
Super cleaned ground strap from batteries to frame
Tested voltage while running with battery disconnect to coach batteries turned off

Any ideas guys??? If I run with my lights on I think I'm ok as far as not exploding a battery but something obviously is amiss. Read and read on the internet and the only info that keeps popping up is bad grounds, bad voltage regulator, bad battery. My battery is holding a good charge and isn't reading high. Consistantly around 12.6 - 12.8 after it sits.
But I've tested the voltage at the battery while running at 60 mph and without the lights on it's well above 15v. Hasn't pegged out or reached 16v but still way too high.

Any ideas on what you would do next?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help

Mike
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #915
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Heyyyyyyy fellas!
We are still out on the road in Colorado having fun. Sons wedding went well and dear lord I'm glad its over with.....PITA!!!!! I know, I shouldn't say that. But I need some advice, I'm out of ideas.

I thought I had cleared up this overcharge problem with my voltage regulator but it still persists. I'm getting readings up to 15.6 at the battery with my meter. If I turn on the lights it drops to 13.65 at idle but when RPMs are increased it will rise up to 15v or so at the battery. Here is what Ive done so far

Installed new OEM voltage regulator
Added a ground wire from voltage regulator direct to frame
Super cleaned battery terminals n cables
Super cleaned ground strap from batteries to frame
Tested voltage while running with battery disconnect to coach batteries turned off

Any ideas guys??? If I run with my lights on I think I'm ok as far as not exploding a battery but something obviously is amiss. Read and read on the internet and the only info that keeps popping up is bad grounds, bad voltage regulator, bad battery. My battery is holding a good charge and isn't reading high. Consistantly around 12.6 - 12.8 after it sits.
But I've tested the voltage at the battery while running at 60 mph and without the lights on it's well above 15v. Hasn't pegged out or reached 16v but still way too high.

Any ideas on what you would do next?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help

Mike
Mike, have you cleaned the connections for the engine to frame ground cable and if it's present the engine to body ground cable? If the engine to ground cable connections are corroded that would provide a voltage differential between the engine and the frame.

The only other idea I can think of is to replace your alternator with one that has a built in regulator, if that's possible for the diesel rigs that is.

Oh yeah, have you tried a different hand held meter to see if you get any different readings?

Brad
Old 06-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #916
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Brad,
No I haven't cleaned the engine to frame strap, good idea. Ill look for it today, see if I can find it. I haven't tried a different hand held but I've got a spare with me so I'll try that too.
Good ideas. I wonder where that ground strap is? Ill poke around.

Thanks Brad
Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #917
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Sounds like it would be the alternator. If the voltage regulator has been replaced with an oem.... When rpms are up and am overcharge suggests to me that you should take that alternator in for servicing. I took mine in and my biggest culprit was how dirty it was inside my diodes were completely covered in oil and dirt, couldn't function properly so I was getting the opposite as you,with mostly a drained battery. It was 4-5 hrs of shop rate and they changed my bearings etc. If you do go this route go to a seal store get s new high pressure seal for the hydtoboost off the back they are only $6
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #918
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks for the input. I carry a spare OEM alternator so if it comes to that Ill change it out. Sure hope its not.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #919
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Whoa, spare alt, spare starter, etc and plenty of Tools. May need a small shop trailer to tow along soon. 😃👍

Like most here, I struggle with under charging especially at night.
Hope you are able to find the issue soon Mike.

Great being on the road isn't it. I'm in central Calif in the cool of the coast right now.

This has not been a confidence inspiring trip for me, first the starter ordeal.also lost the speedo, blown fuses, had the engine just cut out on me yesterday while driving into strong winds, it started up a short while later. Before I even got greasy. No idea yet what caused it, but running fine again.

We are just coming up on 25 thousand miles since I've had the coach, so hopefully this trip is just keeping me on my toes. For more carefree adventures.

Congrats on getting your sons wedding behind you.
Have fun on your open ended trip Mike And Lynn.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #920
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I carry a spare OEM alternator so if it comes to that Ill change it out. Sure hope its not.
It's possible the alternator is causing the problem but typically if the alternator is putting out voltage/current then the issue is the regulator in some form or fashion.

Considering the difficulty of removing/replacing the alternator I would consider that a last resort test.

If I read your previous emails correctly you're not seeing the high voltage readings at the dash volt meter. There are several potential causes for this. The grounding point for the dash instruments is somewhat corroded or the grounding point for the alternator is somewhat corroded. Same goes for the positive connections to the dc volt meter and the alternator. Also on the positive side if the connections for the dc volt meter + are a long distance away from the alternator + connection then there could be a large voltage drop between them. This last one is what I believe is the main reason the Airstream dash volt meters always seem to show a lower voltage than at the battery.

Does your alternator have a grounding lug where you would run a cable from the alternator to a ground point on either the engine or the chassis?

As I rewire my Argosy I'm running ALL grounds back to a central bus bar so they all have the same reference point. Most older vehicles, including Airstream's, just used any convenient chassis screw as a ground point which then relies on every connection to be clean with a tight connection. This to me is a major problem and is difficult to remedy on a vehicle without a massive amount of work. Since I'm rewiring the entire vehicle it was a perfect time to correct this age old problem.

Brad