Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #2061
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
That's a big mistake, every time I trusted Brad it cost me a whole lot of money (it did fix a few things, but thats beside the point)
BUT.....did it solve your problems?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #2062
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
I guess we are all wrong. Hahahahaha, I pulled the wiper arm, it’s held in place by a 1/2” acorn nut. The arm slips over a straight 5/16 threaded shaft that’s flat on two sides. The hole in the arm accommodates the two flat sides of the shaft……no splines, no nuttin

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	398910
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #2063
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,014
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I guess we are all wrong. Hahahahaha, I pulled the wiper arm, it’s held in place by a 1/2” acorn nut. The arm slips over a straight 5/16 threaded shaft that’s flat on two sides. The hole in the arm accommodates the two flat sides of the shaft……no splines, no nuttin

Attachment 398910

Just like Brad said, everyone is right and wrong. Have you looked inside of the wiper arm. I think the "spline" piece is still stuck inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	398920  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #2064
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
I didn’t Peter, I will. It appears that this type is called a “double flat sided threaded shaft”
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #2065
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Got the rig out for a few days, first time this year. We went to a nice county park just an hours drive from home.
Soooo I think I was trying to get off easy on replacing my wipers by not doing the necessary reading and educating myself in the WORLD OF WIPERS. So now I have. Brad and Peter were trying to help me out but it wasn’t sinking into this thick scull.
What we have here….(great line from a great movie) is our oem pivot shaft is called a double flat sided shaft or ISO for short in the wiper world. Over that slides the “ splined knurl driver” that is indeed tapered Brad. Then on goes the new arm. I was able to purchase new Dyna arms that are the same length (26”) as oem and they use the same type “saddle mount” for the blades. It looks like when you get into “heavy duty” wiper arms made for motorhomes, box trucks, and such, that the saddle mount is common. I think the black arms look good on the 310.

Dyna 201514N 26" Wiper Arm


2 Wiper Set - Trico 66-200 20" HD WINTER Blades fit Heavy Duty Vehicles w/Saddle Attachment Arms - Flat/Curved

One thing i liked about these arms is that you can adjust the angle of the blade to the arm. That’s nice on our windshields.

The new arms did not come with new driver knurls so I needed to find and purchase those separate. I’ll get a picture up so you can see if you like the black.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #2066
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,014
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
.. Brad and Peter were trying to help me out but it wasn’t sinking into this thick scull....

Mike, glad you got it sorted out. I may follow suit some day.
Some little known facts: Brad is always right and I am sometimes right. But, man watch out when we are both right "we don't always drink beer, but when we do, we prefer...."
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #2067
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Maybe you two could drink some of that “helium beer” and do a video talking Airstreams.
Now that I would watch over n over n over….
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #2068
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
Mike, glad you got it sorted out. I may follow suit some day.
Some little known facts: Brad is always right and I am sometimes right. But, man watch out when we are both right "we don't always drink beer, but when we do, we prefer...."
Oh I so wish that were true! I could give example after example where I ordered something thinking it would work and didn't. That's just the tip of the iceberg
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #2069
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Maybe you two could drink some of that “helium beer” and do a video talking Airstreams.
Now that I would watch over n over n over….
Mike, I think this pandemic has affected you.....you're really grabbing at straws for something to entertain you
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #2070
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
mike, i think this pandemic has affected you.....you're really grabbing at straws for something to entertain you :d
truth!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #2071
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
One of my front air bags has sprung a leak……dang it. I installed them in ‘13, lifetime warranty. They are the AirLift brand. Called the company and they said they’d have me a new one in a couple days. So that’s good.

I’ve ordered all the parts (I think) to convert my waste valves from Thetford to Valterra. I’ve got a plan in my head on how I’m going to do it, if it works I’ll share it. It’s tight tight tight. Don’t want to have to remove a tank to do it. We shall see.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #2072
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,655
Hey, when you replace that air bag, don’t have the same shop do it…..remember the ball joint issue ??? Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #2073
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
One of my front air bags has sprung a leak……dang it. I installed them in ‘13, lifetime warranty. They are the AirLift brand. Called the company and they said they’d have me a new one in a couple days. So that’s good.
That's great that they are honoring the warranty.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #2074
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Hey, when you replace that air bag, don’t have the same shop do it…..remember the ball joint issue ??? Regards, Bob
I installed it the first time, I’ll be doing it again I suppose.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #2075
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
That's great that they are honoring the warranty.
I’m pretty happy and a bit surprised. In their warranty it states that the customer has to return the defective bag. I told the guy on the phone that if they want it back it will be in pieces. He just laughed and said they don’t require that anymore. So we shall see how quick they get the new one to me, I got the feeling they were going to send the whole kit.

Soooo, I’m waiting on that and waiting on parts to do the waste valve swap. Which ever gets here first will determine what gets done first. I suppose I could go ahead and cut the existing valves out. For that matter I guess I could go ahead and cut the old air bag out too.

I’m also having the house painted right now, I’m paying for that to be done. But I’m trying to stay out of their way out in the drive. It is blazing friggin hot right now too.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #2076
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Is Trempro 635 and Vulkem 116 used for the same type applications? I’ve got my waste valves removed (more on that later) and they had used a white sealant on the pipe entering the tank collar. It was still playable and looked like the old Vulkem I have used before. Kinda grainy and cleaned up well with a little paint thinner. I read about them both and they seem to be used for the same applications but the Trempro looks like a smoother consistency. When I install the new Valterra system I want to make sure I use the correct sealant at that joint, where the pipe enters the tank. It’s held together with just hose clamps. I’ve got some good Trempro 635 on hand.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #2077
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,014
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Is Trempro 635 and Vulkem 116 used for the same type applications? I’ve got my waste valves removed (more on that later) and they had used a white sealant on the pipe entering the tank collar. It was still playable and looked like the old Vulkem I have used before. Kinda grainy and cleaned up well with a little paint thinner. I read about them both and they seem to be used for the same applications but the Trempro looks like a smoother consistency. When I install the new Valterra system I want to make sure I use the correct sealant at that joint, where the pipe enters the tank. It’s held together with just hose clamps. I’ve got some good Trempro 635 on hand.

pretty much the same, except Vulkem is, as you said, much grainier. Vulkem is typically used to seal seams on the inside by applying very liberal amounts. Vulkem can probably handle more "self holding" thickness then 635 can. If you only have 635, I would apply 1 coat, let it set a day and then apply a second.
Edit: i just reread your post and yes 635 will be just fine for the joint. I thought you were talking about filling a gap
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #2078
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,983
Heyyyyy Peter, thank you for that info. I knew you would know.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #2079
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,014
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
pretty much the same, except Vulkem is, as you said, much grainier. Vulkem is typically used to seal seams on the inside by applying very liberal amounts. Vulkem can probably handle more "self holding" thickness then 635 can. If you only have 635, I would apply 1 coat, let it set a day and then apply a second.
Edit: i just reread your post and yes 635 will be just fine for the joint. I thought you were talking about filling a gap

Mike, I have to correct myself here. Vulkem and 635 are also adhesives and will glue parts together. If you want it to be removable you rather should use plumbers putty for the seal. It never really dries, but seals real well.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #2080
Rivet Master
 
cmadmaxman's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 611
Images: 39
I used Rectorseal T+2 for sealing the pipes/valves into the tanks.
Does not harden and is safe for all plastic fittings. Allows movement at assembly. Not a drop has got past it so far!
Click image for larger version

Name:	rectorseal.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	400641
__________________
Chris & Brenda....................cMADMAXman
AIR Member 12654
1991 350LE "Zephyr"
1982 310 MoHo
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (274,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1982 turbo diesel 310 :: 2013 Airstream turbo diesel 310 mayco Airstream Registry Discussions 1 07-28-2015 12:58 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.