Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #1481
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,871
Ouch. Using a 3-bolt sucks. I tend to agree with Peter, someone is feeding you a line of BS. Unfortunately you're kinda in a situation where you're between a rock and a hard place
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #1482
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Ouch. Using a 3-bolt sucks. I tend to agree with Peter, someone is feeding you a line of BS. Unfortunately you're kinda in a situation where you're between a rock and a hard place
Yes, hughes performance said they could have me one in 2 weeks. That said, if the torque converter WAS built to the 6 bolt spec and just has 3 bolts... is it worth delaying things another 2 weeks minimum to insert my own TC into the mix and mess with the mechanic and possibly walk away from the warranty.

At this point, my thoughts are that I have maybe 4 k miles to go this year, and I can buy a 6 bolt torque converter or a 4l80e and bring it to the meetup in October to change out with you lot of gear heads, and then we can burn the 3 bolt as a sacrifice to the airstream gods. Or something like that.


But seriously, if it's NOT the 6 bolt spec, I think it'll fail before I even get out of towing range back to this shop, and I'm not really worried about the bolts shearing off before I do something else with the transmission entirely. Having driven Peter's 4L80E, it's only a matter of time...
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #1483
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,655
Hell...... at this rate, what’s another 2 weeks ??? Sounds like the movie “ The Money Pit” with Tom Hanks. With that in mind keep me in the loop when you have to cancel your plans for coming to the get together so I can get my buddy into your spot (LOL). I agree with the 2 previous posts that what they are telling you about the availability of the 6 bolt torque converter is bunk. I think you need a new mechanic, and if you’re planning on switching to a 4L80E or better yet a 4L85E you could have saved your money and had the motor home transported back home when this whole mess started. I really hope that when your mechanic ever finishes this job that you do make it home and don’t have to tow it back to his shop. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #1484
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,346
No one mentioned swapping transmissions was one of the activities on offer during the get together.....where do I sign up? Peanut could do with some longer legs!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #1485
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Torque converters are a lot like sausages, you just don't know what's inside, so you have to trust your supplier.
Thanks to Chris, who pointed me to Hughes transmissions and having personally seen their operations in Phoenix, I feel very comfortable with their products and the quality they represent.

But its always easy to be the armchair mechanic and like Brad said, lets give Rob a break, he is in a tough spot and lucky to have found a shop to tackle the job.

I would, however, consider having your wife Joni drive the toad up some of the steeper hills you may encounter on the rest of your journey.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #1486
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
......With that in mind keep me in the loop when you have to cancel your plans for coming to the get together so I can get my buddy into your spot (LOL)..... Regards, Bob

No worries, Bob, we will find a spot for your "buddy"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	397046  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #1487
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
....I would, however, consider having your wife Joni drive the toad up some of the steeper hills you may encounter on the rest of your journey.
Or you could leave the toad connected and use it to push the 310 up the hill.....

Sorry, couldn't resist that one! Seriously Rob, I hope things work out and you don't have to worry about transmissions until you're ready to swap in a 4L80e or something better.

Good luck!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #1488
3 Rivet Member
 
1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 201
If it brings you any comfort, I didn't notice until after I installed my new 502 crate motor that the flex plate would only accommodate 3 of the 6 bots on my torque converter.

I talked to several people smarter than me and they said to not worry about it. So I didn't (much). I have not sheared the bolts yet, even with my significant increase in both horsepower and torque. I do, however, carry the 3 spare bolts with me!
__________________
1982 310 motorhome 502
Henniker New Hampshire
chiefair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #1489
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
If it brings you any comfort, I didn't notice until after I installed my new 502 crate motor that the flex plate would only accommodate 3 of the 6 bots on my torque converter.

I talked to several people smarter than me and they said to not worry about it. So I didn't (much). I have not sheared the bolts yet, even with my significant increase in both horsepower and torque. I do, however, carry the 3 spare bolts with me!
That's great to know! I had been searching and couldn't find anyone saying a bolt had sheared, this adds confidence, thanks.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #1490
3 Rivet Member
 
Paradise , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 217
Definitely torque the bolts to spec, with red loctite.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #1491
Rivet Master
 
dadstoy's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
_ , _
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,167
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	397135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2356.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	597.1 KB
ID:	397136

Rob, here is Mt Shasta today (around the north side). Looks like most of the snow has melted early. The Weed Rest Area is nice if you need a place to stop for a few. Hopefully you can continue your trip soon!

Emergency trip for me to Seattle, with out MH this time.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #1492
3 Rivet Member
 
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Clarkston , MI
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Hell...... and if you’re planning on switching to a 4L80E or better yet a 4L85E you could have saved your money and had the motor home transported back home when this whole mess started. I really hope that when your mechanic ever finishes this job that you do make it home and don’t have to tow it back to his shop. Regards, Bob
Its not that simple though is it? If your going to swap a trans you have to be concerned about the mount point(s), the TQ, the Flexplate, the length of the driveshaft and any electrical hook up differences. Or does GM make all these trans cases to universally fit past versions?
Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #1493
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,655
Simple enough…….depends on who’s doing the work.
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #1494
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltran View Post
Its not that simple though is it? If your going to swap a trans you have to be concerned about the mount point(s), the TQ, the Flexplate, the length of the driveshaft and any electrical hook up differences. Or does GM make all these trans cases to universally fit past versions?
From the www: >>>4L80E vs. TH400
Though 4L80E transmissions are quite similar to TH400 in terms of strength and parts used, however, there are differences, such as the added overdrive gear, advanced electronic controls, and a lock-up torque converter. 4L80E transmissions have nearly 25% overdrive and are 4 inches longer than the TH400. The trans mount has been moved rearward by an inch-and-a-half. If we talk about the weight, the 4L80E is nearly 50 pounds heavier compared to the TH400 due to the electronic control.<<<


I believe the 4l80e is only 1 1/2" longer than the TH400, the rest depends on the output shaft housing and if you have a driveshaft ebrake. In addition to the above the shifter linkage has to be modified, the 2 fluid lines mount in a slightly different location, the rear output shaft has to be 6" and the driveshaft Ebrake cable has to modified in length. Not a job for the faint at heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny_dimensions.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	397454  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #1495
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,655
So……it’s been about 3 months now……how is the transmission repair going or have you given up ? Just curious from a guy who used to post 2-3 times a day, we have heard nothing…….almost like Tap. Don’t jump off the overpass, just let us know what’s going on. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #1496
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
So……it’s been about 3 months now……how is the transmission repair going or have you given up ? Just curious from a guy who used to post 2-3 times a day, we have heard nothing…….almost like Tap. Don’t jump off the overpass, just let us know what’s going on. Regards, Bob
He's still angling for that spot!!!!

In all seriousness, probably no reason for Rob to post when he isn't getting to use his rig!

And that will be my situation for a bit here as well... the good news is that I will be joining Rob with an EFI swap for my carb. The bad news is that the swap was made necessary by an engine fire. I was in my parents' driveway in Indiana, and I was going to move the rig literally *three feet* forward just to make room, and smoke started pouring out of the air vents. I'll post specifics in my own thread (everyone is safe and I'm back home in Denver -though the Airstream is still in Indiana), but just another reminder to everyone to get fire suppression systems if you don't already have them.
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:21 AM   #1497
3 Rivet Member
 
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Clarkston , MI
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 106
I did the EFI swap on my classic car as a warm up. Three items I learned.
1) you cannot have any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor. It screws up the readings. Not even a tiny one.
2) a perfectly running engine prior to the swap doesn’t mean your spark plugs (that may only be 2 yrs old) are going to be ok after. If your missing at higher rpms (3500+) change them. Or check cap/rotor, coil and wires.
3). It takes some driving for the computer to learn your engine. So expect some drive time before it gets everything where you would like it to be.

I am still trying to sort through mine and it’s better than the carb in most respects but not all. My idle is still rough and I am still trying to improve that.
Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #1498
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltran View Post
I did the EFI swap on my classic car as a warm up. Three items I learned.
1) you cannot have any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor. It screws up the readings. Not even a tiny one.
2) a perfectly running engine prior to the swap doesn’t mean your spark plugs (that may only be 2 yrs old) are going to be ok after. If your missing at higher rpms (3500+) change them. Or check cap/rotor, coil and wires.
3). It takes some driving for the computer to learn your engine. So expect some drive time before it gets everything where you would like it to be.

I am still trying to sort through mine and it’s better than the carb in most respects but not all. My idle is still rough and I am still trying to improve that.
Thanks very much for the info. Since everything on the top side of the engine melted completely, everything will be new (coil, wires, etc.) and the guy that will be doing the work is replacing all the spark plugs as part of the repair.

I am starting research on which EFI to install. I know some of them are "self learning" and some are not, but I'm still not sure if it's good to trust the self learning ones (I read Isaac Asimov).

Also, one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to EFI is that I live at 6,000ft. but often visit sea level. It will be nice having something a little more forgiving in that regard.
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #1499
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
So yes, the transmission saga continues. Quite honestly this has been on the backburner, we are still traveling full time just via airbnb instead of rv (which is honestly about the same in price)
Just finished a couple weeks in North Dakota, explored both halves of TRNP, definitely one of the most beautiful states I've seen
Now in Idaho for July, pic attached
Also, on the back burner because I have a much bigger project I'm trying to get off the ground that's taken most of my free time and attention the last 6 weeks


Anyway, back to the transmission
The mechanic recieved the transmission a couple weeks ago and finished up the install a few days later. Took it for a few test drives and told me he wasn't happy with the way it was shifting into/out of third, he was working with the supplier to see if something needed adjusted. Called me the next day and said he took it on a few more long test drives and it was seeming to lose power in first, he suspected the unit sent to him was toast.

As of last week he had started two paths in parallel, for one they've kicked off the build of a new unit, for two the transmission supplier is supposed to send someone out to troubleshoot the unit onsite.

At this point all against the warranty of the new transmission

Will update as I learn more, but for now the plan is to enjoy July in Idaho and do a lot of backpacking trips in these awesome mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210704_004118632.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	398786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210626_201711_041.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	398787  

Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #1500
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Thanks very much for the info. Since everything on the top side of the engine melted completely, everything will be new (coil, wires, etc.) and the guy that will be doing the work is replacing all the spark plugs as part of the repair.

I am starting research on which EFI to install. I know some of them are "self learning" and some are not, but I'm still not sure if it's good to trust the self learning ones (I read Isaac Asimov).

Also, one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to EFI is that I live at 6,000ft. but often visit sea level. It will be nice having something a little more forgiving in that regard.
Self learning seems to definitely be the way to go! For one, you can get on the road and get a baseline tune automatically, it worked pretty well for me, and for two, if you get a professional tune review, you can turn off self learning and it'll keep the set tune.

I've been very happy with the holley kit from efisystempro - one of their sales guys rubbed me the wrong way initially, but after I got what I wanted ordered you get the cell number of the company owner and customer support has been 100/100
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiator Hoses for 1983 310 Billy B General Motorhome Topics 7 06-06-2016 06:59 PM
1983 310 Engine Problem Rik Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 7 10-28-2005 10:30 PM
1983 310 guages Bfrank General Motorhome Topics 6 07-23-2002 06:01 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.