Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #1201
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

That doesn't sound like enough to make a difference. If the decimal point was one to the right then I might look deeper.

Just my $0.02
I thought so too Brad, assuming the tolerance on the drawing was Ī.005, given the surface finish that seems reasonable.

Had a good chat with Chris (cmadmaxman). On his 310 after replacing the master cylinder he had the brakes lock up, the solution was to install a .015 shim between the cylinder and booster... So apparently 10-20 thousands can make a difference

I like his .015 thou shim solution and while I think I'm probably fine to go as is, I'll be making one up in case of roadside repairs. Fortunately it can be dropped in without removing the MC
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #1202
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
I thought so too Brad, assuming the tolerance on the drawing was Ī.005, given the surface finish that seems reasonable.

Had a good chat with Chris (cmadmaxman). On his 310 after replacing the master cylinder he had the brakes lock up, the solution was to install a .015 shim between the cylinder and booster... So apparently 10-20 thousands can make a difference

I like his .015 thou shim solution and while I think I'm probably fine to go as is, I'll be making one up in case of roadside repairs. Fortunately it can be dropped in without removing the MC
Interesting. You must have just been borderline clearing the port passages. Have to keep that in mind!
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #1203
4 Rivet Member
 
Kvsterling's Avatar
 
West Chester , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 336
I installed the NAPA master cylinder about 1.5 yrs ago. It was a drop in replacement from what I could tell, worked perfectly. Bench bleeding was essential! It was an improvement from previous one, although I donít know that these classics are known for brake pedal feel
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #1204
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
I drove over 200 miles with the 87 345 before the brakes locked up, all 4 right in my driveway, real close to where Magnet is parked right now I did fix it with a shim, was a much better solution than the previous owners idea of opening one of the rear bleeder valves....nope, not joking.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #1205
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
First come first served.....
We do have Master cylinders, worn out rotors, spun bearings and snapped off brake lines and even saw dust for your transmissions. Come on down
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #1206
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
spun bearings...
Yea... Guess we find out tomorrow if I need to order one more of those
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #1207
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Turns out the brake lines from the master cylinder to the distribution block are custom, different fittings on each end, yay!
__________________
1983 Airstream 310 Class A Motorhome
-Rob
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #1208
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Turns out the brake lines from the master cylinder to the distribution block are custom, different fittings on each end, yay!

Whilst I was out working hard, amazingly enough, my buddy Joe and Magnet located a shop in deep South Austin with the capacity to make that a replacement brake line with the two different fittings. Here is their description:
1/4 OD Ezibend Tube-custom Bent with Double Flared ends and 1/2"x20, 7/16"x24 Tube nuts
I already can hear Dan saying, oh those, I make them all day long....
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #1209
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Making it was our backup option, we had a shop with a 45 double flare tool sitting and waiting behind the counter, but this shop custom made and bent it for under $40, so I told them to shut up and just take my money!

Then got the last of the brake job done and theoretically should just need to bleed the brakes today .. knock on wood.

New front bearings, Rear bearings didn't look perfect but also didn't look bad, didn't fail any criteria in the service manual as all marks could come out with light polishing, so back in they went


Also checked the alt pulley again with the straight edge on the crank. Looks fine so I guess the alternator tilt is due to the belt tension. Assuming the brakes get working again soon I'll be chasing down the electrons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210205_210948402.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	388184   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210206_002837030.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	388185  

Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #1210
4 Rivet Member
 
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 274
That alternator tilt is still not good. It stresses the belt more than
it should. I suspect that the mounting bracket is bent. Belt
tension should not change the alignment of the pulleys. If you
loosen the belt do you still get the same misalignment?
Air345Fly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #1211
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air345Fly View Post
That alternator tilt is still not good. It stresses the belt more than
it should. I suspect that the mounting bracket is bent. Belt
tension should not change the alignment of the pulleys. If you
loosen the belt do you still get the same misalignment?
I agree, and I'll be checking that.

Not on the picture you can see the belt sticks a up little above the pulley, whereas on the crank pulley it is flush. I wonder if that's the root of the problem.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #1212
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Think I found the problem with the master, the rear valve had, when the pedal was pushed all the way in, sucked down into it's hole and gotten stuck. To un-stick it we had to push the piston in all the way then pry it out. Why that was able to happen I'm not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210206_174535342.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	388199  
__________________
1983 Airstream 310 Class A Motorhome
-Rob
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #1213
Rivet Master
 
cmadmaxman's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 611
Images: 39
Could be, have not tore one down to see how they work!
__________________
Chris & Brenda....................cMADMAXman
AIR Member 12654
1991 350LE "Zephyr"
1982 310 MoHo
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (274,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #1214
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,015
Images: 49
Party time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	partytime.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	388201  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1990 25' Excella Travel trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #1215
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
Party time
When airstream motorhome owners get together
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #1216
Rivet Master
 
cmadmaxman's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 611
Images: 39
__________________
Chris & Brenda....................cMADMAXman
AIR Member 12654
1991 350LE "Zephyr"
1982 310 MoHo
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (274,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #1217
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
Whilst I was out working hard, amazingly enough, my buddy Joe and Magnet located a shop in deep South Austin with the capacity to make that a replacement brake line with the two different fittings. Here is their description:
1/4 OD Ezibend Tube-custom Bent with Double Flared ends and 1/2"x20, 7/16"x24 Tube nuts
I already can hear Dan saying, oh those, I make them all day long....
Well I don't really make them "all day long" but I have made them. The biggest problem is finding the fittings. I think the last one I did I had to buy two different over the counter brake lines and cut the fittings off and swap around to build what I needed.

If you have a lathe and can single point cut a thread you can make a fitting, not really that big a deal.

Now you guys get an idea how I feel after reading marcvl's post about setting up network connectivity. Steve put it well when he said "Well Done!
I have no idea what it all means but it sound good to me!"
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #1218
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,929

Name:   partytime.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  16.2 KB

Classic moho social distancing.
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #1219
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Think I found the problem with the master, the rear valve had, when the pedal was pushed all the way in, sucked down into it's hole and gotten stuck. To un-stick it we had to push the piston in all the way then pry it out. Why that was able to happen I'm not sure.
It's pretty amazing how simple a master cylinder is and how little they have changed in the last 90 years. That being said when one of those little valves acts up, things go to hell in a hurry.
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #1220
Rivet Master
 
Magnet18's Avatar
 
Churubusco , Indiana
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Well I don't really make them "all day long" but I have made them. The biggest problem is finding the fittings. I think the last one I did I had to buy two different over the counter brake lines and cut the fittings off and swap around to build what I needed.

If you have a lathe and can single point cut a thread you can make a fitting, not really that big a deal.

Now you guys get an idea how I feel after reading marcvl's post about setting up network connectivity. Steve put it well when he said "Well Done!
I have no idea what it all means but it sound good to me!"
Don't have a lathe... But I *have* watched every single "this old tony" youtube video, so I'll give it a go... As long as it's for someone else's brakes

Happy to say both motorhomes now run fine, Peter's fired right up with his new fuel pump, mine seems to be stopping better than ever. With new rotors, pads, hoses, and master cylinder (and rear calipers, and front bearings). Big thanks to his buddy for helping me out all week!
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiator Hoses for 1983 310 Billy B General Motorhome Topics 7 06-06-2016 06:59 PM
1983 310 Engine Problem Rik Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 7 10-28-2005 10:30 PM
1983 310 guages Bfrank General Motorhome Topics 6 07-23-2002 06:01 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.