Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Low Coolant indicator

Despite my efforts to fix it, my Low Coolant light still comes on. I cleaned the tank and the two screws inside and out which provide connection terminals for the wires and a path for the fluid inside to short the wires that should keep the indicator happy. That didn't work. I then connected both wires to one terminal which should eliminate the problem, but it didn't.
I'm looking for suggestions about where to go from here!
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Take the bulb out ! .....only kidding, I believe that those wires are ground wires....so you need to check where those wires go to. One may be shorted or ipen
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Take the bulb out ! .....only kidding, I believe that those wires are ground wires....so you need to check where those wires go to. One may be shorted or ipen
Bob,
I was able to unearth a prior discussion on the forum about this issue via Google. Discussions talked about their being some type of voltage step down unit to power the gauges at 5 volts which apparently is failure prone and also apparently unavailable. I'll have to dig deeper into that. Your suggestion of removing the bulb might be the right answer.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
After many stops to check and find correct fluid levels, with the light coming on repetedly. And efforts to fix the problem.
I did pull the bulb from the dash.

Still have a working temp gauge that doesn't make me stop all the time.

Let us know if you are able to sort it out.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
John - I think that is stock chevvy wiring or was it an Airstream add-on? If the former, there is a section on the electrical wiring diagram for bulb faults etc in the Chevy wiring diagram manual. I posted a link in the sticky (post 94). That might help you fault find. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote