Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I am a Brit living in SoCal and now the owner of a 345...
One of the concernes you should have is Voltage... the Airstreams being 110v, and the UK and EU being 220v...
No problems there, that's what we do - full or partial conversions. every thing works a treat. Voltage etc., is the least problem.

Once you have the down payment (Purchase Price! plus import taxes etc.) then the smaller payments are ..... well...... inevitable!

Seriously, If you like the challenge and the beauty of the All American Classic (tin-tube) then go for it. It is well worth every penny and they do not lose value!!!

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
The LPG route is very commendable but you must get the engine running absolutely perfect on petrol first. I spent a lot of time going that route and it pays off. When we first bought in the 310 from Texas, it arrived doing 5.5 - 6 mpg, after much preparation it is now in the 10-11mpg mark(Imperial Gallon), and it didn't cost a fortune to do that.

Next step was the Gear Vendors Overdrive. That works on petrol AND LPG, with the added bonus of being better for the engine with a quieter and more relaxed smoother ride.

Getting this far was not expensive but the rewards are well worth it.

LPG is very good - no doubt about that, but please consider the mileage you intend to do. any thing less than 5000 per year and you are talking 3 to 5 year payback. Having said that with the cost of fuel going the way it is, it can only reduce the payback time.

I will go LPG eventually, but again another snag is the tanks. There is very little space under for LPG tanks, without loosing valuable storage. My thoughts here are to replace the large domestic tank for a liquid take-off version for the engine - No problem there. But then the problem is to source a vapour take-off for domestic LPG narrow enough to run the distance between the drive shaft and the chassis. - That has been more of a problem - Still trying to source that one!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #23

Currently Looking...
xxxxxxx , xxxxxx
Hi Tim,Hope all goes well with your purchase!
mikestef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Addlestone , surrey
BOO HOO!!
Absolutly gutted!! The deal has fallen through, I knew I was temping fate! It seem a number of my e-mails never got through to the seller due to a problem with their computer and they begain worrying I had cold feet. They had people look at it over the bank holiday weekend and they accepted their offer. When I managed to contact them it was too late, typical, The now "previous" owners are going to pass on my details to the new owners but should they decide to sell it in the future I expect they will increse the price considerably knowing my luck.
The hunt goes on....
Back in the (slightly cramped)VW for another summer.
Tim.
VWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Very sorry to hear that! And we were all getting excited here....

The saying ... "plenty more fish..." springs to mind?

Still if it's any consolation (and I am sure its not) it took me four years to find the right one, and a further 6 months of haggle (sorry - negotiations!) Not to mention the nail-biting 5 weeks across "The Pond" (I said don't mention....)