Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Neillsville , Wisconsin
LED clearance lights

Hello everyone, I hear many are replacing the clearance lights on their motorhomes with LEDs. I purchased new LEDs for my Motorhome and noticed there is no gasket below the new light. Has anyone replaced theirs and did you use a sealer to keep water from getting into the headliner behind the new lights?
If so what type of sealer did you use?
MoundCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Lexington , Massachusetts
I was just looking at our clearance lights, and considering their replacement, searching for a small leak at the driver's side cab window. On our unit, there's a rubber gasket between the light's plastic base and the metal housing (which is attached to the roof). I've read and seen posts where people use some sort of gasket or sealing material like butyl tape when installing LED clearance lights to keep water out from getting behind them.

The roof penetration on the two lights I checked are sealed tight all the way around the metal housing (I caulked them a couple years ago). The wires on the inside look to be sealed from the factory (see attached picture). There's a weep hole in the caulking at the bottom of the metal housing to let any water that does get in, out.

I have not found the leak yet. Three more cab clearance lights to check, and the horn, and the spot light, then riveted seam...

Luis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Clearance Light.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	444011  
LM782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I replaced my marker lights with some that i bought at a truck stop.
I hate to tell you this but, the key to sealing them has nothing to do with a gasket . The way they tend to leak is the two screws that hold them on the RV and the penetration for the wire. The only way to guarantee they won't leak is to fasten them to the skin. Then go on the inside, crimp the wire and put a gob of sealant on both screws and the wire. You can try to do it from the outside but, you can't really get the sealant where it needs to be.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Neillsville , Wisconsin
Thank you both for the input. It sure seems even the weep holes at the bottom would allow water to creep in when driving. My lights/wires were not caulked when I removed the clearance lights. After removing the headliner I could clearly see two were leaking and the skin on the drivers side was leaking by the rivets. Right now deciding if I should seal the weep holes too...
MoundCreek is offline   Reply With Quote