Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Alumnati

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fredericksburg , Texas
Just purchased the Aluminati 345

I accidentally posted this under general motorhomes so am re-posting here:

My wife and I just bought the Aluminati, advertised here in the motorhome classifieds. It's a wonderful coach but has some electrical issues we are trying to track down as we return to our home base in Texas. It's been warm here in Florida so the first day on the road I fired up the generator and turned on the A/C. That worked great for about a half an hour, then it tripped a breaker. I reset the breaker but the A/C would no longer run. The PO said it might be the rotary switch but I'm thinking otherwise. Any opinions?

I'll post some photos when time permits but the polished outer skin draws a steady stream of curious onlookers.
vonprum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Did you check/reset the breaker inside the motorhome or the ones on the generator itself? My 88 345 has breakers for each AC unit inside, one under the dinette bench, one under the bed. Maybe you just need to reset another breaker to get it running again. Still doesn't explain why it tripped in the first place though. However I tripped my generator breakers last year at Alumapalooza and it has never happened again so it could just be a fluke. (Hopefully) You mentioned it had electrical issues though so you probably have other things going on. Finding the breakers might get you going again for now though.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonprum View Post
I accidentally posted this under general motorhomes so am re-posting here:

My wife and I just bought the Aluminati, advertised here in the motorhome classifieds. It's a wonderful coach but has some electrical issues we are trying to track down as we return to our home base in Texas. It's been warm here in Florida so the first day on the road I fired up the generator and turned on the A/C. That worked great for about a half an hour, then it tripped a breaker. I reset the breaker but the A/C would no longer run. The PO said it might be the rotary switch but I'm thinking otherwise. Any opinions?

I'll post some photos when time permits but the polished outer skin draws a steady stream of curious onlookers.
Good for you! I considered this rig several months ago, but just couldn't come up with the $ the owner was asking for it. Enjoy your trip home!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well Congratulations!
Not sure what to tell you about the Genset/AC issue, but Easystreamer's advice is a start!

Love to hear how the trip home goes and cant wait to see pics!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Alumnati

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fredericksburg , Texas
As it turns out, the problem was several corroded terminals on the 12 volt distribution panel and a nasty looking 30 amp breaker. The panel isn't labeled which breaker is for what but I'm guessing the 30 amp breaker is for the A/C. There are lots of little electrical issues I'm discovering like the outside flood light that wouldn't work. The bulb was good but the problem turned out to be corroded terminals on the switch. Being a Florida coach with humidity and salt air, I'm finding this everywhere. With only 50K on it, the coach sat much more than it was driven. At least most all of this is easily repairable and doesn't cost much more than my time.
vonprum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Wow! Guess with this being close to the coast of Florida, I need to be on the lookout as well. Of course, I'm about 6 miles away from coast, but still sure there's 'salt' in the air! Good luck, like the rest of us as we get to know our Airstream Classics, there's surprises everywhere!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote