Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Cape Breton , Nova Scotia
It is almost ours!! 24' Excella, here we come!

My husband and I just made an offer on a 24' 1979 Excella and if all goes well we'll be picking it up on Wednesday!! I am excited and scared too as we've never been motorhome people so it is a whole new world! I have been reading on here like crazy over the last few weeks and I know that I have a lot to learn. I've never done any mechanical work, but I am pretty handy so I think I'll be able to work on smaller things....hopefully with the help of these forums I'll be able to figure out the front end from the back anyway. I have a whole bunch of questions that will be answered just by walking in the door of the AS...but then there will be a whole lot more. Hopefully they're questions that will seem like old hat down the road.

Its funny because or the last few weeks since we saw the unit for sale all I could think about was how to get it into our driveway, but now that it is finally going to be ours I am just scared! I haven't even seen it in person yet, but had a mechanically savvy RV long-time RV owner friend of ours check it over and test drive it. It passed inspection, so that's a start anyway! The drive home is about 6 hours, so hopefully it will make it that far with no major problems. Sadly we don't have a tow setup, so only one of us can go home in the AS, the other (probably me) will have to drive along behind. So if you see an old MoHo with a red smart car trailing along in the rear, heading back to Cape Breton (Nova Scotia, Canada), that's us taking our new beastie home.

So basically I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the entertaining reading I've been doing here. Seems like a great crowd of people, and sure helps with the buyer's jitters to know there's a resource like this.

I'll post some more after our inaugural journey,
Sarah

PuffinPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Welcome! This forum is a wealth of information & support. I'm sure you'll have lots of questions, but you'll have lots of answers from the nice people here!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Good Luck

Please stay in touch and keep us posted.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sarah,
I hope you are going to become 'another' one of us...It's an adventure, and sometimes really frustrating, but worth every minute...the forums has a wealth of information, provides entertainment, and helps maintain a sense of sanity...note I said a 'sense'...hope to see you down the road...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Hi- Just in case you haven't already, sign up for some type of emergency road service. Good Sam ERS, and AAA are two that come to mind. There's plenty of info on both here on the forums.

We personally prefer Good Sam and the one time we needed them for a jump start they were very timely in getting us back on the road from a spot out in the boonies.

Hopefully you'll never need a tow but needing one even one time will offset the cost of membership.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I feel like I'm repeating myself from thread to thread(Oh, wait, I AM...)...GS has been our best investment...was AAA for over 25 years, but GS has been on the spot in a timely manner, and no hidden or extra towing charges...towing a 345 is not a simple or cheap process, but all I had to do was sign a piece of paper, after having a flat tow truck travel >100 miles to haul us another 50 miles to a mechanic that had us back on the road the next day...just an observation, not a sales pitch...mike
Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

The owner (Soon to be PO!) is delivering it to us in about 1/2 an hour...I hardly slept last night! I'm sure I will be on these forums a lot, I've already read all the threads I could find on classic motorhomes. We already have CAA, so changed to an RV version. Hopefully we don't have to use it today. Especially since this is more my idea than my husband's, I don't want any excuse for I told you so's!
Thanks for all your comments, look forward to making new friends here.

Sarah
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
good Luck Sarah

please post some Pictures soon
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

We're home, a pretty uneventful trip. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. It is definitely in need of a good scrubbing, both inside and out! But we're happy! Definitely my style!!

Sarah
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinPotter
We're home, a pretty uneventful trip. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. It is definitely in need of a good scrubbing, both inside and out! But we're happy! Definitely my style!!

Sarah
Congrats! We can't wait to see her!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Well ALL RIGHT Sarah!!! Prepare for a continuing treat for the rest of your travel years. Yeah, some speed bumps are ahead of you, but they also will appear in your rear view mirror...look forward, ...that's where yer headed...mike
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
An uneventful trip home in a 31 year old truck means that you made the right decision when you decided to buy it. Congratulations, and welcome!
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

So the trip home, as I said, was pretty uneventful. We drove down to Moncton, New Brunswick, on Tuesday and stayed overnight with some friends who had been helping us check out the motorhome over the last few weeks. We were over 6 hours away, so needed someone to check things out for us before we made the trip down to make the final decision. My husband Paul and I are both fiddle players, as is our friend Eddie in Moncton, so we had a great night of tunes together with Eddie's grandson, who is shaping up to be a pretty sharp multi-instrumentalist! Anyway, it was a great evening and then I hardly slept all night, thinking about the day to come. Don, the PO and a total character, delivered the AS on Wednesday morning. He gave us a rapid-fire tour of everything and Paul kept asking him to slow down. He said, "sorry, I'm French, I talk fast!". Anyway, Paul, who had reservations about the whole purchase, asked me a few times if I was sure, and I finally said "Yes!!". We had to drive home in tandem, and that job fell to Paul as I was a bit nervous to drive the big rig...I will practice on empty roads. We left in a rainstorm, which got worse as we drove. At one point I thought, "Wow, I think this is the worst rain I've ever driven in", at which point, and I am not joking, the rain doubled!! Cars were pulling off to the shoulder left and right, but Paul kept forging on ahead, so I didn't want to stop. I could barely see the back end of the motorhome in front of me, but we got through it safely, and relieved! At one point during the drive I noticed that there was something hanging down underneath the motorhome and I could smell exhaust. Paul pulled over at a toll both parking lot and I got down and looked underneath. Sure enough the tailpipe, which looked like it was made in the Iron Age had broken at the weld to the muffler. No loud noise though, and it wasn't touching the pavement at all, so we jumped back in the vehicles and kept going. We stopped for lunch at a rest area/truck stop and went in to buy some snacks. As we crossed the parking lot a big truck that we had parked next to pulled away and I looked back to admire our AS. What was parked two spaces away? A nice new truck pulling a nice new airstream trailer (2008)! We came back and had lunch in the motorhome and received a salute from the other Airstream owner. (Very thrilling!) He came over for a chat and we had our first Arstream bonding moment. Sigh. Anyway, the rest of the trip was great and we were about 200' from our driveway, Paul ahead in the AS and in his lights I saw a Big Moosie. Fortunately it was standing off to the side and Paul Sailed right by (didn't even see it actually, they do blend in at night!). I slowed down a bit and of course the Moose, who had been awestruck by the glory of the motorhome wasn't so dazzled by my car, which he's probably seen many times, and decided to cross right in front of me. Luckily I had slowed down, so I was able to stop and let him cross. And that was it, Paul parked the AS and I went and got Lola, the dog, who had stayed home and introduced her to the new member of the family. She LOVES it!! Sniffing into all corners and exploring everywhere. She has decided that the shower is her spot and I have found her curled up in there a few times already. Right now I am sitting in my pottery shop, trying to be nice to customers when I am just LONGING to be across the road getting things cleaned up. I have posted some photos on a public facebook photo album and will post some on here too. Here's the link to the facebook album.

I'm sure I'll have more to tell as I start the cleanup inside. I already found some nasties...oh well, nothing a bucket of hot water and soap won't put right!

Sarah
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Great Story Sarah, and welcome!
I totally get what you are saying about that moment when you walk back to you new Airstream, and get that amazing feeling!
For me it was coming back to my 345 on my drive back home to California from Kansas, when we stopped at El Morro National Monument.
The full force of my almost shiny new steed, and the possibilities hit me...
Old 09-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #15
Stevelou

1984 27' Sovereign
1984 27' Airstream 270
Wandi , Western Australia
Hi Sarah congratulations. We have a 1984 Excella and we shipped it to Australia. We flew to Melbourne and then started the 4 day journey to the other side of Australia to Perth it was unreal and lots of fun so we know how you feel. We have owned ours 2 years now and go away when ever we can. You have some great journeys to come can't wait to hear them
Louise
stevelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Nice pictures Sarah!

I am looking for a nice 24 footer myself, maybe one of those days I will find the right one.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

We haven't done too much with it yet, except sleep in it in the driveway! It needs some work done on the engine and we're too busy at the moment to get that organised, but soon I hope. Yesterday a group came into my pottery shop and asked about the airstream (parked across the street at my house). Turns out they are part of an Airstream caravan that has been touring Atlantic Canada. We had a good time and went over and I got to show off the moho. They gave me some good pointers and it was sure great fun to talk to them. Wish they lived closer!! I'll enjoy following their blogs now.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinPotter View Post
We haven't done too much with it yet, except sleep in it in the driveway! It needs some work done on the engine and we're too busy at the moment to get that organised, but soon I hope. Yesterday a group came into my pottery shop and asked about the airstream (parked across the street at my house). Turns out they are part of an Airstream caravan that has been touring Atlantic Canada. We had a good time and went over and I got to show off the moho. They gave me some good pointers and it was sure great fun to talk to them. Wish they lived closer!! I'll enjoy following their blogs now.
Hi, if you would, could you post the URL links for their blogs?

Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote