Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Interior Remodeling 99% Done

The inside of Chummy is done. Even though we are still waiting for Camper's World to let us know we won the contest for the $20, 000 makeover we went ahead and did the work on our own for considerably less than $20,000.
What we wanted to acccomplish is add a bed for my grandson to sleep, preferably away from us. Move either my wife or myself so we can at least sleep in the same general area if not in the same bed. Maintain the desk in the back with the bookshelf for my computer and writing. Do not use foldown beds since neither my wife or I can sleep on them, we both require regular mattresses.
Here's what I did. I took out the two J beds and replaced the one in the back with an inner spring mattress for my grandson. The one in the front over the water tank had to be lowered to just above the tank and re-inforced, since it was going to get a real mattress put on it. We still wanted to use it for a day sofa. The solution was to have a memory foam mattress or Temporpedic mattress made but not as thick as a normal mattress. The bed across comes from our old Tradewind trailer, it was the gaucho. I cut it down to length, height, and then depth. Lastly I re-did the tambours so they would still slide open and we could continue to use the drawers. Voila, it all works. This bed got a custom Temporpedic matress as well. Both beds got custom bolsters for daytime driving and nightime sitting when we use them as sofas. When they become beds, these bolsters go up on the dashboard area. All of the trim was covered with white oak which I had been saving since we moved from Iowa almost 20 years ago. These were planks almost 1" thick 17 to 21" wide that a freind with a saw mill had cut from tree on our property. The graining is superb. I also used this same oak to rebuild the dog house and the front console. To complete the remodel we installed new carpet, slate tile in the kitchen and bath, a wine glass rack, new wicker inserts in the doors, and refinished all the original cabinet wood. At present we are using a portable table in the aisle, my plan is to build one over the dog house which will flip back and be suported in one of the Tidee plug holes. I inda like the portable one though and am not sold on putting anything on top of the dog house.
Pix 1 shows new wicker, Pix 2 is the entrance and new drawer facings into the water tank area. The oak wall can be used as a hand rail when climbing into Chummy. Pix 3 is the rebuiklt gaucho, pix 4 is the wine glass holder, pix 4 is the back bedroom, and pix 5 is the console area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chummy's Insides 010.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	12652  
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Boats13
Stunning!

Wow, just: Wow!
Boats13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Kent,

That looks great!

The only thing I would (and I really hope you don't mind) suggest is getting carpet protectors. I know, it's the awful plastic stuff folks used in the 60s, but it works. RVs get a whole lot more dirt tracked in than houses, so if you don't go solid surfacing, it's probably worth your while to get something that catches the tracked dirt--or the carpet will get nasty very, very quickly. We've "enjoyed" virtually the same carpeting as yours for the past two years, and the plastic carpet protectors ended up being a saving grace. Now I hate to say, we've bought lino tile, just waiting to finish interior details to install it.

BTW, love the comforters!

Mary
Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Home away from home. looks like a nice place to take a nap.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
very cozy! I did find the carpet was a hassle,went with cork which has been great. Very low maintenance. I like your idea with the two upfront couch/beds. I guess you have the floor plan with the single mid bed and a dresser thing across from it? Funny.. you see that one, the mid twins (mine) and I have seen a mid single with bunk across from it.
Keep up the good work its fun watching it come together for you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote