Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
ICC Blink

Streamers,
I finally figured out what was the deal with my upper marker lights.
Backround....
Since we have owned our 1986 345, the upper marker lights have not worked. There were no wires going to the ICC Blink switch. My manual shows a red wire feeding all the upper lights. It says that the wire comes from the head light switch, goes to the ICC Blink switch, then to the upper lights.
The Fix....
There is no red wire. There is a cheap assed crimp type splice on the BROWN wire about 3" from the head light switch. The brown wire is the power to the lower running lights. The second wire comming off of the splice is the power for the upper lights. The crimp splice was loose, not letting power go to my upper lights. But it never went to the ICC Blink switch! So, I just cut the wire, added connectors, and plugged them into the ICC switch.
YEA!!! I now have opperating upper marker lights, and I can blink them to say thank you in night time traffic.
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Rob,
Nice one! It's encouraging when someone has a "simple" wiring problem on a Classic MoHo around here. Well done!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Yes but anyone who has ever ventured behind the panel of the AS moho will tell you "it ain't simple." Chaplain Kent did the yomans work of actually redoing his dash and what a job that was.
I have some issues with my spagetti of wires and splices and weak grounds but will not tackle this until I come off the road in December.
Electricity is like plumbing but there sure are a lot of pipes back behind the dash man!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
I am used to aircraft, so looking behind the dash on the AS is like wading into a rat's nest. Of course I'm also used to having a real wiring diagram as well.
Gives new meaning to "May the Force be with you"
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike
I am used to aircraft, so looking behind the dash on the AS is like wading into a rat's nest. Of course I'm also used to having a real wiring diagram as well.
Gives new meaning to "May the Force be with you"
Don't you just love the way there either isn't a diagram at all, or the one supplied has little or no relation to the actual set-up ?
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Don't you just love the way there either isn't a diagram at all, or the one supplied has little or no relation to the actual set-up ?
I call that the "not-quite-virtual-reality-diagram". And the line at the bottom of some diagrams I have seen is priceless: "wiring may differ from specification".