Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 32.5' Airstream 325
Santa Paula , California
Hot Water Operation

Can any one tell me if/where there is a switch for the hot water (not the instant hot tap)? The manual mentions a switch, but I have no idea where it is. It also talks about the water being heated via engine heat when driving and then switching to the on demand LP heater with a small tank.

I just want my wife to be happy with a hot shower.

Thanks,
strohmdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
oh mee too!
is there a magical switch for engine heated hot water?

my hot water heater pilot gets going, starts bubbling and heats but only bursts of hot-ish water come from the taps.
i cant seem to find a thermostat dial or screw, anyone have a picture?

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
On our 1990 345LE the switch for the hot water is located above the bathroom sink. There's a group of four switches. The top two operate bathroom lights. The bottom left is water pump, bottom right is for hot water. The hot water switch has a Red indicator light built into it that is illuminated when turned on.

Hope yours is the same.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
above the rug down from stove & kitchen sink

That's where the hot water heater switch is on our 81 280 Excella. I found it crawling on the floor by the stove and kitchen sink. Just above the rug. I had not heard before of engine heated water. I think that would be neat.

-Ken
Old 08-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Our 89 345LE has engine-heated water...don't know if there is a cut-off valve to the engine circulation, but if there is, it's probably under the rear dinette seat near the water heater...and, YES, having hot water upon stopping is GREAT!...especially if it's included in the mpg...
m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
There is a bypass valve under the rear dinette seat. this decides if the engine heats the water tank or not. It was standard on our 345LE but an option on other models. The engine's hot water also works the aux. heater under the dinnette seat.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
slaughters , Kentucky
Yes, on my '84 345 there is a heat exchanger located under the couch close to the driver's seat; there is a pull switch to open and close the hot water supply from that big, powerful 454. Then you will have to activate your front warm water circulation pump and you are in business!
joe gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
Brad, you have one?
i dont know but....i do have piping hot water after driving but the weather is very hot here in Tx right now..but not hot enough to warm up the plastic tanks, and i do get cold water from the mixer dial
my hot water heater is off...and i'm boggled...cant find this magic switch
well, as they say dont mess with a good thing.

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary quite c View Post
Brad, you have one?
i dont know but....i do have piping hot water after driving but the weather is very hot here in Tx right now..but not hot enough to warm up the plastic tanks, and i do get cold water from the mixer dial
my hot water heater is off...and i'm boggled...cant find this magic switch
well, as they say dont mess with a good thing.
Mary,

I'll look at ours this afternoon and see if there are hoses running from the engine compartment to the water heater. I know there are cooling line hoses under the couch that run to an auxiliary heater located there. I've never checked to see if they go anywhere else. We never really use hot water until long after we've parked so I can't say if the water gets hot or not.

You should be able to look under the sink and see if there are water hoses running from the from the front of the coach to the sink area.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
I think the first thing to find out is if the water heater actually does have the mains electric option, some run on gas(propane) and engine only. Some only gas. (sorry propane)
If there is a main power option on some 345's there is a multifunction rotary switch over the cooker in the overhead locker, check that first. If not a look at the heater from inside will be a give away.
There are some wires from the switch in the bathroom that operate the gas ignitor circuits and the flame-out. The flame-out light is on the water heater switch in the bathroom and should only be on when the flame has failed. Switch off then on to reset - you should hear the burner fire up.
Also on the heater from inside look for the 120volt mains cable - it will be heavier and solid core. If that is not there then you may have gas fired only.
On some 345's on the back of the heater there is a by-pass valve that isolates the water heater from the engine coolant circuit. Again there may be a space heater under the couch on the engine heater circuit. At the heater circuit junction engine end the thtree-way valve that also has a diverter valve facility.
Hope this helps

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
slaughters , Kentucky
Yes, more about the warm water heating system on the 345! (1984) My 1984 345 has a heat exchanger under the couch behind the driver's seat; there is a pull that will open the valve and let the engine hot water flow through the heat exchanger. Also, you must set the room thermostat at a temperature that will start the circulation pump that pumps the water through the warm water heat radiators that run throughout the front of the coach. My 345 has warm water baseboard radiators with a LP furnace; at this LP furnace there is another heat exchanger that heats hot water for the shower, bathroom, and sink.
So, when the engine heat exchanger is open under the couch the heat exchanger at the furnace also heats the hot water for bath, etc., and you do not need to turn on the LP furnace. But, if you are not running the coach engine, you must turn on the LP furnace to heat both hot water for the shower, bath, sink, as well as the baseboard radiators that heat the coach.
My '84 345 has two LP furnaces--front and rear--that are independent and both heat warm water baseboard ratiators for the coach but only the front one heats a heat exchanger for bath, etc.
Here is more complication. There is also an electric water heater in the front for the bath, shower, sink, and it is activated by the electric distribution switch located above the LP stove. On the '84 the switch turns to the front air, the rear air, the microwave, and electric heat. Of course, either the generator must be running or you must have "shore" power for this electric heater to work. This electric heater allows you to heat water for bath, etc., without using the LP furnace.
In summary, there are three sources for hot water : 1) engine hot water from the mighty 454 through the heat exchanger under the couch, 2) the LP furnace , and 3) the electric heater.
This is on my '84 345. Hope it helps.

Joe
joe gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
In summary, there are three sources for hot water : 1) engine hot water from the mighty 454 through the heat exchanger under the couch, 2) the LP furnace , and 3) the electric heater.
This is on my '84 345. Hope it helps.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe- If you lived in our climate you could add one more item in your summary. It's inexpensive, solar and called The Mohave Desert.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote