Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #1

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
powell , Ohio
hose reel repair

I have a 1985 345 classic motorhome and the water hose reel no longer winds automatically. (the adjacent electrical hose reel works fine) I can wind it manually, but would like to get it repaired. The service at Jackson Center just said "no" to getting a part or fixing it -- as did another RV service center. Apppreciate any suggestions.
yevonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
yevonne.

Getting rid of the real is your only real choice.

Parts have not been available for the water of electrical hose reels, for many years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #3

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
powell , Ohio
hose reel repair

Andy: Thanks for the info. Have you ever heard of someone finding a used reel from salvage? Or possibly someone could repair it? I think it is just a spring.
yevonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Yevonne,
The parts for the orginal reel are no longer available as you have found out But there are other brands of reels out there that may work. They are typically used on service trucks, like what power companies and heavy equipment repair trucks carry. Here is a link to a thread that deals with it. Salvage is another issue but are going to be hard to find. Best bet would be a call to Colaw Salvage they are one of the largest RV salvage yards that I know of.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
Hi,

I have the same problem in my '86; the product looks like Reelcraft but may not be. In any case John M. Ellsworth Co., Inc. Sells reelcraft products which are safe for drinking water. But www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=289 offers several items of like kind which are cheaper. The reel can be fixed but it requires a torch and knowledge of tempering. Hope this helps you.

Best, Ernie
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

It's a mess!

I tried to repair the reels on my 1990 Classic. You have to remove the entire assembly in order to do any repairs. This took me hours and I finally gave up because all of the nuts and bolts were badly rusted. My solution was to take a sawzall to it and just cut the mess out. I tossed all of the parts and now use the compartment for hoses and electric cords. By using the yellow storage reels I can get three hoses and two electric lines in the same compartment. This included one additional 30 amp extension line. This is the best solution and results in considerable additional storage capability. I mounted the input to the water tank on the side wall of the compartment and used a quick release water fitting. The input to the electric line is right there in an electrical box so all you need is a strain release fitting. I can post a picture if you would like.

Howard
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #7

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
N Ft Myers , Florida
I have tried you cannot get any parts for them..you can buy a new one, but they are really expensive..my water works, but I had to remove the electric one..looks like PO drove away still hooded up. the prices I found were around a $1000...and I could not see myself spending the same for a reel as I gave for the entire 85 345 and drove it home..good luck
Monicaz is offline   Reply With Quote