Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Help me buy this '310'

Tomorrow I'm driving from Tenn to the Gulf Coast to survey an '82 310 mh.
Seem to be a lot of 310's on this site and I was wondering if some of you guys could make me aware of potential frame problems with a unit continually exposed to the salt air evironment? Or other rust or corrosion problems that I should be aware of.

I think I want this unit but would like to be smart about it.

Thanxs for any help------Pete
woodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I have lived on the coast most of my life and I can tell you that the salt air will eat up almost everything eventually! I do think that you have to be very close to the water to be seriously effected by the salt air. If the trailer has been kept more than a mile or so don't worry too much. I suspect the salt they put on winter roads in 10 times worse! Good luck.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Best to be on paved parking

When you look up under the MH you will see that Airstream used steel tubing for the under supports of the floor base plywood. They will be rusted, but should be OK and would be best if the unit was parked on some type of solid parking media. On the grass, will for sure be rusted good. The 82 used 5/8" plywood. Look in the back windows and try to see if the plywood flooring under them is not rotted out. On the outside of the Motorhome, you should find many rusted steel screws, that you can replace in time with Stainless. Other than that, just look for leaks around windows and roof vents and such.

Good luck with the unit, and hope all work out OK!

If you want to PM me with your phone number, would be glad to talk with you about the 310!
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If it was parked within a few miles of the beach without protection, salt, but sun damage might be a bigger problem even when far from beach. Small item like blinds and curtains add up when all have to be replaced. Rubber exposed to southern sun on an 82 will be dry and brittle, look for cracks in window rubber trim. Salt would be a big problem if unit was unused so lack of running and routine maintenance that would have taken care of most problems. Look carefully at seams on roof, rivets along roof side wall junction, aluminum may not rust but it does corrode to AL oxide.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote