Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1983 30' Airstream 300
Syracuse , New York
Heater Blower Turning ON

OK just got my 300 out of storage. This is a weird one. This is what I know.
  1. Battery was dead had to use coach batter to start it.
  1. No coach battery installed currently
  2. When I step in front of the blower that is under the couch it turns on.
  3. If I remove all of the coach fuses it still happens
  4. Ducting from furnace came unattached. When I went to re-attach it to to the furnace it sparked
  5. Happens if the ignition is off and the key is out
  6. Only thing that turns it off is if I disconnect the battery for the motor.

Obviously I have a short but I'm surprised that it still happens even if all fuses are out, the ignition is off and there isn't even a coach battery installed. Also the sparks on the heater is strange. I would think the battery for the motor wouldn't have much to do with the coach side.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John
jkaftan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
and you're not plugged in to shore power correct?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
That is a weird one. Well, disconnect the unit, and test the power leads you should have power lead,and the ground wire. It gets its power from the rocker switch on the dash called aux heater. I'm thinking that lead has been bypassed, so that you can turn the aux heater on without the key being in the on/aux position" thus you got power to it all the time. Not a bad thing really. But it would run the battery down if left on. Is there an extra wire coming to the heater? Mine has two wires the only thing I can think of that has power to it alł the time, that doesn't go through the dash or ignition, would be lights. You got a weird one for sure . Sorry, can't be of more help. DJ.
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1983 30' Airstream 300
Syracuse , New York
Yes not plugged into shore.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1983 30' Airstream 300
Syracuse , New York
Thank you DaveJay. That helps and explains why when I took all of the coach fuses out it didn't matter. I will look for it up front. Any idea why when I step in front of the blower it turns on? I can put a milk jug there with only 1/4 full of water and this is enough to make the blower turn on. The furnace is separate and under the sink. This blower is under the couch. It is super hard to get at the wires as they are behind the blower and there is no room to see back there.

I may just disconnect it for now. I never ever use the furnace.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
If you're getting a spark when connecting a metal duct to the metal furnace housing then somehow the housing or the duct has a hot wire either connected or shorting to it. Wires reversed somewhere? Not too good of a situation around propane. Time to get your tester out and trace your wires feeding the furnace I'd say. I have only one furnace in my 310 so I'm not versed in aux furnaces. Pulling all of the coach fuses and still getting power to the furnace blower sounds like its power source is connected to your chassis fuse block. I don't think that's how it should be connected but I may be wrong. Like I said I don't have the aux furnace. Sounds like you've got a bit of trouble shooting to do with your tester.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
If you have to remove the couch let me know if you donít want it, I am looking for one, my guess the reason why it comes on is that under your carpet or replacement wood floor you will see some wiring from a PO that was done incorrectly, probably ran the wires under the floor to the battery box (shortest run) if that doesnít solve your problem check the flux capacitor, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
On my couch it is possible to lift the front edge of the frame and pivot the cushions and frame up. I can block it up with a board like some car hoods. This give me access to the storage compartment from above as well as the aux heater. Might not be the same as yours but give it a try. I have an 86 345.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
The only wires I can think of that are close proximity to your heater, are the aisle lights. Maybe the heater is touching up against the wires. What's weird is that in order for the blower to come on, you got to have power to that positive lead of the blower. Unless the blower is wired backwards. Then you'd have power on the ground side that could make a spark issue. Does the heater blow air? If wired backwards it would run the fan backwards. Wouldn't hurt the fan motor, but it could account for the weirdness. By you walking on the floor, maybe you flex the floor enough to make. A connection. We are now in very weird possibilities place. That's all I can think of. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote