Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Headlights

I finally got around to trying out a set of LED headlights in our 310.

Thankfully modern Semi's have the same size headlights so there are several very nice options available in different price ranges.

The ones I went with light up the road like the sun, an absolute day and night difference, not cheap, but made by JW Speaker which is right down the street from me, extremely high quality, and could not be easier to install.

We were on the road last spring with some time to kill so I stopped at the Big Rig Chrome Shop in Oshkosh WI and the guys there tested these out, they plugged in and worked out of the box or with slight modification as I remember.
We were in and out in less than an hour. I do not think I have done anything more easily to drastically increase the safety of the 310.

They offer a heated version as well if you run your rig in the winter, the low power consumption of the LED leads to Ice buildup on the lenses if they are not heated.

https://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/880...l#.XC4s71xKhPY

The only downfall I can come up with is that they are offensive to oncoming traffic if you do not aim the low beams or forget to turn off the high beams.

Sorry for the delay in posting, but hopefully someone can make use of the info down the road.

SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
We're almost neighbors. JW speaker is one of my customers, up in Germantown. Do you have a part number for those headlights? I am thinking of going LEDs too. Do they throw light way out there. I know they're bright ...
My wife's Beemer has LEDs. Way bright, but they got this line that limits how far they throw. My eyes don't like that. My halogens just kind of fade out, the furthered they throw. That's my only concern with LEDs. DJ

davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
There is a 345 in Germantown, no way.

Yes, they are the brightest lights of any car I have ever been in. My wife has a Lincoln MKS I believe which has really nice modern lights that follow the steering wheel etc, but the JW Speaker ones in the motor home are far far brighter.

You are more than welcome to come out and check them out any time.

I have the Overdrive and a Caliper out of the bus right now so we cant take her ,for a spin, but it is in a heated building and you can check the lights out any time.

I believe they are the 8800 evolution 2 non heated, but I will be at the bus tonight and I will see if the lights have anything written on the front.

https://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/880...l#.XC-NnFxKhPZ

Shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number so we can trade war stories.
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
No JW speaker is in Germantown. I'm in Menominee falls .
May come down and see your ride. If you need to put windshields in it,I can give you a hand. Very easy. We put windshields in my 325 , Grospolutors 345 , it was cake. Glass is about 1500 for the pair. Get new locking T rubber also. Grospolutors went and picked them up in Elkhart,in. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote