Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
GREAT TRIP without a hitch!

Our almost 800 mile roundtrip to Canandaigua, NY and back (through beautiful Ontario) went very smoothly, no issues, no repairs, no breakdowns. She feels much tighter to drive now, not so much wiggling at the steering wheel with the new alignment. Our newly installed water heater worked perfectly, the leak is gone and I even showered just to say I did. We camped at KOA in Canandaigua and got a primo site right by the playground which was great for our kids and their cousins. We ate well, slept well, and relaxed. We were there for a graveside service but otherwise were able to really enjoy a long weekend away in Silvie. We overnighted Wednesday at a rest area in Ontario (I had read online that you can overnight there with no problems) along with about 30 trucks and campers. The border crossings weren't too bad, the border agents were more curious about Silvie than anything. We got great views of Niagara Falls coming and going. The kids had a great time, we survived a wicked night or rain with no leaks, just a little water blown in at some of the screens. So, finally, a problem-free trip!
Can't wait for the next one.
Sorry to have missed the Metro Detroit Rally, the pictures show what a great time we missed. We're still hoping to hit The Wilds in September to put faces to the names on here.
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thumbs up

That is excellent! You guys went through a bunch of problems. I've got a 1300 mile trip next week bringing ours back to AZ. Hope it is also uneventful.
-Ken
Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Good luck--I will keep all fingers crossed for you!

I felt like I could exhale as I pulled into the driveway at 11 last night, but not until. It was such a delight, in retrospect, to have an uneventful trip. We even remembered most everything we wanted to bring and hosted a bunch of family for a cook-out on Saturday, with no snafus. I cooked on the stove, we used the AC during the heat of the day to keep the coach cool for baby's naps, and tried out some different sleeping combinations. I am still thinking that we might need something bigger, but I don't want to start over with another coach and a new set or problems. I have lots on the "to do" list, but for now, I'll clean her out and we'll take her back to the parking storage for a while until the next trip.
Good luck on your trip, I hope it goes smoothly and you have a great but uneventful story to tell upon your return. Post some pictures, too.
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Great!

Glad everything went you way. Owning it doesn't feel so bad now, does it?

More good trips to you.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
That is excellent! You guys went through a bunch of problems. I've got a 1300 mile trip next week bringing ours back to AZ. Hope it is also uneventful.
-Ken
Have a safe trip, Ken...looking forward to seeing the new toy!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Okay, the thread title threw me off for a second. I thought you towed your Airstream Travel Trailer on a recent trip without a hitch!!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Swanky
Glad you had a great trip, with all that has happened you didnt need anymore surprises.
Yes you missed a great Detroit-Metro Rally.Weather was wonderful, food was even better than last yr. Hope you can come next yr.We are already looking forward to next year because we had such a great time.Hope we see you out on the road somewhere yet this yr.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Okay, the thread title threw me off for a second. I thought you towed your Airstream Travel Trailer on a recent trip without a hitch!!

Ahhhhh - me too. Even after I read the post I kept wondering about the hitch:what kind of hitch do they have, what happened, how'd they leave without a hitch. Ohhhhh, without a hitch ---that kind of hitch!!!

Well, you sound lucky indeed - a trip without a hitch
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Now that I've been hanging out mostly on the Classic Motorhome Forum the whole "hitch" thing went right by me. Pretty funny.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
So I guess selling out of MoHo ownership is off for now? Glad to hear things went well for you on the trip.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
And there I thought my little pun went unnoticed! Yep, no hitches of any kind during this trip and it's really not so bad not to have a tow vehicle if you are well-prepared and preferably well-located.
We plan to keep her if we don't get transferred. We won't even consider bringing her overseas--I can't imagine having to learn the lingo and pretend I know what I'm talking about in another language while trying not to be taken advantage of by mechanics. However, I wouldn't mind a longer one with the bed in back so hubby and I don't have to each bunk with a kid which has been the trend lately. The fold-out doubles just don't seem big enough for two grown-ups but maybe we're just spoiled by our king at home. But, I know nothing about the bigger one we might be able to get and don't know how easily we could sell Silvie or if we'd even come close to getting what we'd like, so that remains an open issue. Meanwhile, I am trying to plan my next trip.
Thanks for all the good words.
The picture is us at the US to Canada border crossing, just after my near panic attack on a bridge--the one before Niagara (that one I made hubby tackle, I was too much of a sweaty mess from the first scary bridge).
The US customs agents in Detroit were a riot. After making us wait way too long (baby crying, tired, almost 11 at night, no one at the truck lane where they made us go) the one agent was all business and stern and the other one kept ringing the doorbell, saying "does this work? Is this working? Do you hear anything?" Meanwhile, inside the coach the bell was ringing and ringing. It was like a Reno 911 episode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SilvieBorderCrossing.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	84888  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Moho Gojo...

"Customs" are hard to break WELCOME! to the diminishing crowd of moho owners...we look forward to your experiences...they WILL be memorable...accumulate parts when you can...well worth the investment, and if not needed, a sell in progress...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote