Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Gray PB plumbing

All,
I have started re-plumbing our 1986 345. Back in the '80's the great new plumbing material was Poly Butalene. The gray plastic stuff. Since that time we have found that while the tubing is fine, the plastic fittings will fail.
We had a fitting failure at Alumapalooza this year.
I am replacing the PB with the newer PEX tubing with brass fittings. I have the street side of the MH done now. I still have to do the area in the rear pump bay and the curb side.
It's not as hard as it sounds. I will try to post pictures soon.
If you have the gray plastic tubing, it's not if you will have a problem, it's when.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
All you really needed to do was to replace the acetyl crimped fittings with Flair-It fittings or perhaps Quest.

The gray PB tubing is just fine. It is the fittings they used with it, especially the aluminum crimp rings, that created the problems.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Not sure what I have in mine, but it looks like the grey stuff.
I will be needing some advice when I get into my watertank replacement, so more info and photos please!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Found that most of my crimp fittings underneath kitchen sink leak while camping this weekend. Has anyone done the crimp rings replacement? Or is it just better to start replacing everything?
Would like to avoid total replacement, but if it means no more leaks, I'm good with replacement.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I don't know about the use in trailers, but there have been two class action law suits for polybutylene (Quest) piping used in home construction- one covering acetyl (plastic) fittings and one for metal fittings. The problem is that the crimped connections come loose and there is now free flowing water. The class action law suit was for about 15 years. You can Google it if you want to find out the details. I don't think it covered trailers at all.

I have an 84 excella and it has pb piping with plastic connectors and I have not had any problems. I would not change out the piping unless there was a problem. You can buy an adopter at Lowes, etc. that has the pb barb on one side with the correct pb crimp ring and then a Pex barb and crimp ring on the other end.

Robfike is correct in stating that it is a matter on when it will fail, not if. I suspect trailers were never part of the class action suit since they are used very little and do not have constant water pressure on the piping like in homes accompanied by the problem of people being away from there homes during the day for hours on end. When you get a fitting failure in this case, you flood the house with water and sustain many dollars worth of damage.

I am a home inspector and have inspected lots of homes with pb piping at a mountain resort. I tell the new owners to turn the water off when they are not there. Of course that is probably a good idea no matter what kind of piping you have in a second home. You could do the same thing when you are camping and connected to central water I suppose, when you are away from the trailer. I probably would not be that concerned though.

Until I have some problems with the pb piping in my Excella, I see no reason to change the piping to Pex.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Polybutylene Laws | whocanisue.com
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sharkbite fittings are an alternate approach and adapt well to all sorts of piping.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
From what research I have done, even the gray pipe can fail when exposed to fairly highly chlorinated water over fairly long time periods. I have a late 70's mobile home (winter residence) in a park in AZ where they seem to have a highly variable chlorine problem. The gray polly lines have started to become an issue, as well as the connections. Last year I had a leak where a pipe went into a Quest type fitting, and it was the pipe itself, not the fitting that caused the problem. This year's project is to replace all in that unit with PEX and crimped fittings.

I doubt that the pipe itself is a huge issue in most RV applications, but be aware that it can be, especially when high chlorination water is involved.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
To All,
Thinking that with the problems associated with Poly Butalene pipes and fittings, as time and $ allows, will replace all in my 345. Will start with kitchen and work to shower, and back to tank and pump. Then to bathroom. If this means NO leaks in the future, it will be a worthwhile investment.
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yup.
I started with the water hose reel, and now am in the underbed area...
Using 1/2" piping, and to be cool, Red for Hot water and Blue for cold.
I looked at a few different systems, and ended up using PEX.. the crimp tool was $50, but you save money after that because the fittings are cheaper.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Steve, thanks for the advice on PEX. Was told at plumbing store that I should use CPVC piping. With all the curves in the Airstream, guessing that all of the joints needed, things could get expensive. Kinda liking the red=Hot, blue=cold idea too!
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the PEX and the crimping tool. Works fine for me. Sometimes there is not room for the tool. Have to think ahead and make up some assemblies that can be installed with a joint where you can get to it. Have use some of the sharkbite fittings. Much prefer the crimps.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Bill, everyone has told me that if you start using SharkBite fittings, after a few uses, they get to be kinda expensive. Too much to do on my evenings this week to get to Home Depot to look at prices on this stuff. Maybe this weekend. Have to get this done, or no camping until.....
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Crazeevw

I would not use cpvc- too many joints since the piping is not very flexible. Also the new trailer manufacturers don't use it. I would also be concerned about the affect of vibrations on the joints- plus it just looks tacky and cheap.

Use Pex. HD has a crimping tool for $25 that you use with a set of vise grips- or go the sharkbite, etc. route, but that can get real expensive fast.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
It seems that all of my leaks have not involved the pipe, but definitly the crimp and or fittings!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
crimping tool at Lowes is $40. Crimps come in a 10 pack for about 5 bucks. most fittings are around 2-3 bucks. Sharkbite fittings are around 6 to 8 bucks each.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Bill, thanks for the $ update. Hopefully getting started on fittings this Sunday, 6 day week for me this time around.
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sharkbite...no commission, here, just an alternate comment...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
When I'm able to do the Lowes/Home Depot run this weekend, I'll be sure to look at everything that is available for piping replacement. Have a guy at a plumbing store who's offered 'attractive' pricing on replacing all of this, as well as his own personal help, lol. Think he wants a good up-close look at the Airstream!
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Anybody got some pics of the PB tubing. I think mine has a mix of PEX and PB tubing as well as some reinforced Tygon tubing. I would like to replace all of it with PEX. I have never hooked the water system to city water because I am afraid the jury rigged plumbing will let go and flood the place. Is the PB tubing smaller in diameter than PEX. Some fittings have strange plastic compression fittings on them.

I did some research and it looks like there PB fittings attach with crimp rings much like PEX. What I don't like is having to have several different types of fittings none of which use the same tools. I don't like seeing hose clamps on plastic tubing unless it is tygon and I really don't want any Tygon in the high pressure side of anything.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote