RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,082
Images: 5
GM heritage center

See attached example, find more info here, select Chevrolet Trucks:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-...tion-kits.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1984-Chevrolet-Motorhome (1).pdf (3.14 MB, 2 views)
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 748
Nice! Great to have this information on my P30 chassis and 454 straight from the source!
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,082
Images: 5
P30 Series Chassis, Type (IMHO) is a P32 Motorhome chassis........

lights the blue touch paper and leaves the room...
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,032
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
P30 Series Chassis, Type (IMHO) is a P32 Motorhome chassis........

lights the blue touch paper and leaves the room...
Correct. Some minor differences. You may not find auto apply park brake in the p30 info. To my knowledge, only the p30s built for frito lay had auto apply. They custom (in volume) ordered alison transmissions and 6.5l diesel in their units. There was a service supplemental manual produced for those units.
When I was responsible for that account, they had about 3200 of them.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,082
Images: 5
My take on what is different between the P32 type Motorhome chassis (P30 series) and the standard Forward Control P42 (P30 series) chassis used in all the bread trucks etc. Please take aim and highlight any corrections/ommissions:

Wider frame
Dash A/C
Larger fuel tanks
Tuned suspension
Steering wheel box/linkage
Stabilizer bars
Different rear springs
Different front suspension
Different brake system (JB8 vs JB9) within the P32 type Motorhome chassis
Belts/Hoses
Fuel lines
Different axles (19.5 vs 16) within the P32 Motorhome chassis

Thoughts?
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,032
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
My take on what is different between the P32 type Motorhome chassis (P30 series) and the standard Forward Control P42 (P30 series) chassis used in all the bread trucks etc. Please take aim and highlight any corrections/ommissions:

Wider frame
Dash A/C
Larger fuel tanks
Tuned suspension
Steering wheel box/linkage
Stabilizer bars
Different rear springs
Different front suspension
Different brake system (JB8 vs JB9) within the P32 type Motorhome chassis
Belts/Hoses
Fuel lines
Different axles (19.5 vs 16) within the P32 Motorhome chassis

Thoughts?
Hmmm,wider frame? Not sure, never heard that, but I didn't directly deal with P32, I was a commercial guy. P32 was handled out of our department since it more closely resembled a commercial business flow than retail. A good friend, in the cube across the isle handled ALL P32 stuff. Never remember he and I discussing frame differences, other than length and tag axle upfit problems. Doesn't mean it's not true. Frames came into the plant already assembled.

Some P30s had A/C and most didn't...so difference or just a low volume of P30s? I doubt it was a different system though. Ya know...cost and all.

Fuel tank - definitely different

Tuned suspension - a laughable moniker. Just capacity differences. Nothing on that antique, but charming, chassis is "tuned".

Steering wheel - sure, retail vs. commercial. Steering box, I don't recall, but it is logical that a 32 would have a box borrowed from a medium duty application.

Stabilizer bar - yes

Springs - sure much higher gvwr

Brakes - sure, much higher gcwr

Belts hoses - engine for engine, I don't recall that.

Fuel lines - sure, longer, different routing and provisions for frame extension on 32

Axle - sure - again much higher gcwr on 32....however, I think you may find the 30 axle on the shorty Argosys. I'm not also sure all the brake differences are on the shortys.


It has now been 25 years since I dealt with all of this ...and some nightmares you really try hard to forget, so give me some slack.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 234
Wow, that is great stuff from GM. I see that the manufacturers suggested
price for my frame (345) was $11,950.66. GM also had a diesel option
for this frame but not for the 345, i.e. the longest frame. Did Airstream
ever offer a diesel using the GM engine?

They even had the manual for the '64 Cadillac that I owned as a kid way
back when.
Air345Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,082
Images: 5
Yup, super interesting and I have never seen it before, so not sure if it is all new. It looks like it goes back to the earliest Argosy's in the 70s.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,997
Judging on the the fact that the 1974 motorhome literature is for a stepvan, and it is 1975 before the literature actually applies to a 'motorhome chassis, it seems to indicate that the first year motorhome (like Brad's) were not a motorhome specific chassis at all.

Also worth noting that the early 350 V8 supplied chassis had the TH400, not TH475 transmission that were widely thought to be 'standard'.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Judging on the the fact that the 1974 motorhome literature is for a stepvan, and it is 1975 before the literature actually applies to a 'motorhome chassis, it seems to indicate that the first year motorhome (like Brad's) were not a motorhome specific chassis at all.

Also worth noting that the early 350 V8 supplied chassis had the TH400, not TH475 transmission that were widely thought to be 'standard'.
As Martin suggested my 74 Argosy was based on the step van chassis. My parking brake release is a pull lever up under the dash. Also my parking brake cables were the same as the step vans. I had a hard time sorting through the differences.

My brakes are the JB7 (front disk, rear drum). I don't know about the transmission because it was gone by the time I obtained the Argosy.

Also, my front suspension used the step van ball joints instead of the P30/motorhome chassis ball joints.


Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
As Martin suggested my 74 Argosy was based on the step van chassis. My parking brake release is a pull lever up under the dash. Also my parking brake cables were the same as the step vans. I had a hard time sorting through the differences.

My brakes are the JB7 (front disk, rear drum). I don't know about the transmission because it was gone by the time I obtained the Argosy.

Also, my front suspension used the step van ball joints instead of the P30/motorhome chassis ball joints.


Brad
Bella has the pull e-brake as well, which actually causes an issue in the UK where e-brakes have to have 18% of the total brake efficiency to pass the annual inspection. There is just not enough leverage on the pull type lever to achieve that. Luckily Bella doesn't have to have an annual inspection now that she is over 40years old.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Bella has the pull e-brake as well, which actually causes an issue in the UK where e-brakes have to have 18% of the total brake efficiency to pass the annual inspection. There is just not enough leverage on the pull type lever to achieve that. Luckily Bella doesn't have to have an annual inspection now that she is over 40years old.
Maybe you just need to do a few arm exercises


Name:   arms.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  6.0 KB
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Maybe you just need to do a few arm exercises

Attachment 386848
I needs me spinach!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Popeye-sailor-man-cartoon.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	386853
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,082
Images: 5
The information below does appear to be accurate. The attachment here is from the Heritage Centre's Motorhome Guide for 1971 (dated March 15th 1971). It clearly shows the P32 type designation was part of the P30 chassis series (see page nine). The P42 Forward Control type chassis is also shown as part of the P30 series. Obviously, does not mean that Airstream used the P32 Motorhome chassis at that point, but it was available as a specific option from 1970 onwards.


Via Barth Forums: 'I am retired GM Engineer, and we established the P32 chassis designation, in 1971, to seperate the Motor Home Chassis from the P42 Forward Control Chassis, which was currently in production......the very first P32 MH chassis were built in the Janesville Plant on Dec. 23, 1970. I remember the date distinctly, because my wife has NEVER FORGIVEN my boss at that time for keeping me working until Christmas eve, which was her birthday'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 18.26.47.png
Views:	4
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	386859  
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #15
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
....... does not mean that Airstream used the P32 Motorhome chassis at that point.....
That hits the nail on the head; no doubt it existed, equally no doubt Airstream didn't use it!
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'08 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest fotochop Other Rallies & Events 11 03-03-2018 12:02 AM
Enjoy, Engage, Your Heritage and more...a msut read! PeeWee Off Topic Forum 0 08-18-2009 04:08 PM
Wally in Baker City Heritage Museum and T-shirt Bambi75th Airstream History 4 04-29-2009 07:59 AM
South Trout Heritage Day in Virginia HeadnOut Boondocking 1 03-28-2009 06:57 PM
Back home from the Cajun Heritage Caravan Cap-N-Red On The Road... 0 03-25-2009 09:04 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.