Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #21
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Jonathan, I haven't done any of the research on it, but if it would bolt up without to much modification, I would much rather have the overdrive as one unit within the transmission.
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I have a 4L80 out of a '92 Chevy 3500 with wiring harness and TBI if you're interested. It had less than 90k when I pulled it. Ended up chopping the truck up and used the motor in a vintage drag boat, never should have sold that boat. I planned on putting this transmission into my Argosy 28 but I ended up selling that in the spring so I have no need for it.
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Yeah Curt, the gear vendor might be good for an application below 5000 lbs. but not good for ours. Personally I think the unit is a POS. If you have ever had the chance to take one apart I think you would agree with me. I forget what your application is but if itís a Chevy youíre best bet would be a 4L85E with a US shift controller. The 370LE that I own now sports a heavily modified E4ODE with a US shift controller. I was able to cruise at 75 MPH all last summer and use the transmission as a downhill brake with no issues. The shift controller made by US shift are second to none, and the ease of installation and customer support are awesome. Any questions send me a PM. Regards, Bob
I will see how it goes this summer, we are tired of cutting trips short.
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_345 View Post
I really wish I had put a Gear Vendors unit in my 345 back in 2009 instead of the unit made by US Gear. It worked fine but the module quit in 2018. I was able to find another one on ebay last year, but now it's gone out. Since the parts are no longer available, I'm left with it in low range....
I am not sure what the Module does on the US Gear system, but if it works like the GV it is just a speed pulse input to turn on a coil. I have the GV unit and will be tearing it out, I have no use for it if you want to see if you can make it work, maybe you would need a voltage regulator, relay, etc. if you shoot me the exact unit you have, I can look into it.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #25
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Thank-you Sir. I didn't see your post until I got to the office this morning, so my detail won't be as good until I go home to look through my paper work. But I have the U.S. Gear Dual Range Auxiliary transmission purchased new in 2009. I can possibly have model/serial numbers tomorrow. Thx again, Kenneth
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Curt,

Did GV inspect your unit after the second failure? What did they find? They rebuilt it after your first failure right? My question - did it fail because of the same thing broke again? When I was getting info from them (before the purchase) I was told this unit was prefect for our rigs. Has anyone had one fail because of the same issue?

Dave
ontheroadagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroadagn View Post
Curt,

Did GV inspect your unit after the second failure? What did they find? They rebuilt it after your first failure right? My question - did it fail because of the same thing broke again? When I was getting info from them (before the purchase) I was told this unit was prefect for our rigs. Has anyone had one fail because of the same issue?

Dave
Dave,
Gear Vendors rebuilt the unit the first time it failed, I sent it in the second time and they claimed that the failure was the same...even though it failed in a completely different manor. The first time the unit got smoking hot and I believe the clutches smoked. The second time, I was driving down the highway and it sounded like I blew out a rear tire, it went with a loud and magnificent bang, I stopped immediately and as soon as the GV turned off (going slow enough) the horrible noise stopped. The first time we still had reverse, the second time we did not have reverse. They take photos of every rebuild and they said it was the same failure...I am not sure. but to answer your question, yes, they rebuilt it the first time, and tore it down and inspected it the second time. Yes, they told me that I was WAY below any weight rating and everything would be fine...My rig is powered by a Cummins 6BT and they said they hardened some parts the first time it was rebuilt so this would never happen again, when it broke again they were blaming it on the Allison 545...I do not know, but it broke twice and they claim that they will send me a check so I do not put it back in, that was a few weeks ago...no check yet. My wife was not happy that we had to cut two trips short because of the same issue. I will say that when the GV worked, the rig was geared absolutely perfectly for going down the highway, it was just not reliable for us, if we need the extra speed in the future, I will put a 6 speed trans in her. for now...we will go slow

Good luck,
Curt