Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Fuel Fire!!!!

I know I have stated this innumerable times to my gas powered bethren out there; change the rubber fuel lines that are any where near your motor and get your motor washed.

Not for the squeamish......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nt-162052.html

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have a friend who is doing a piece on automotive fires as her editor believes that the incidence of fires is rising even among autos designed for ethanol fuel.
I will report back after the article is finished.
There is no question that ethanol destroys old style rubber fuel lines though. This is well known now and people should be aware...
Very sad day for somebody.
Bruce
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I hope the owner stops by here and completes the story.

What is done, is done, and hopefully, its nothing more than material loss.

After the commiserations are given, there are lesson here we can all learn, by hearing what actually happened.
A sad total loss like that will sharpen our collective focus on known issues, preventative measures, and fire suppression options.

Please everyone, be aware that the "Dog House" is just ABS plastic, and offers very, very little protection in the even of an engine area fire.
I, for one will be adding a layer of ZETEX fire resistant cloth shortly, that will at least buy more time, to escape, and maybe even put out the fire before it breaches the interior of the MH, at which point it's a done deal.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Thanks Guys!

I replaced the fuel lines back at the tank when I first got my MoHo. Last summer when I replaced my fuel pump (on the side of the road) I noticed that my fuel lines near the engine were looking old.
I just added to my todo list, 'replace rubber fuel lines' right after rebuild Q-jet.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Anyone up for a specific thread on Fire risks and mitigation in Classics where we can combine and pool knowledge into one place?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good info and well worth the watching time.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
I replaced the fuel lines back at the tank when I first got my MoHo. Last summer when I replaced my fuel pump (on the side of the road) I noticed that my fuel lines near the engine were looking old.
I just added to my todo list, 'replace rubber fuel lines' right after rebuild Q-jet.
Mine had rubber fuel line splices in the supply and return part way down to the tank. Replace that also, and the line to your generator.
Make sure you use gasoline rated hoses from a reliable source.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Kelseyville , California
I've got a Diesel but replacing lines and checking for propane leaks before the maiden voyage.
81 MexCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Look in to fire suppression systems. Generally set up in engine compartments. Not cheap, but less expensive than replacing a rig.
We have them installed on all of our heavy duty equipment.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I'm very interested in this thread, mainly inspired by Izuzudiesel.

Do we think it is safe to mount one of the elide type fireball suppressors in the engine bay or is it too hot under there?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
I'm very interested in this thread, mainly inspired by Izuzudiesel.

Do we think it is safe to mount one of the elide type fireball suppressors in the engine bay or is it too hot under there?
I was a Volunteer firefighter for 25 years and this device is NOT UL approved nor does it have a suppression rating. I would not recommend it.
A fire could be anywhere in your rig, so unless you have a system that can cover every possible area a fire might break out, you are spending a lot of money and you may still sit on the side of the road crying.

If you cant get a fire out with a 5 pound hand held dry chem, it is time to get far away from the possible fire bomb!

Here is a story I posted on another discussion board, the language has been toned down and the names have been changed to protect the stupid:
I was at a music festival in a farmers field and it was Sunday morning, after a crappy night of over-amplified rap music and a wind & rain storm that tipped over a 20 x 40 vendor tent and trashed my projection screen. Needless to say I was ready to go home.
Quote:
Yesterday Ranger Danger pulled in with a old Doge Travco RV. They put him next to me about 20' away, side by side
So I was typing my last message this morning and getting my RV ready to pull out when I heard some banging and I thought someone was screwing with my camper so I went out and as I get to the ground I heard someone yell for a fire extinguisher, I looked around and I did not see anything burning, then I looked at Ranger Danger's rig and smoke was billowing out of all the windows. Around the other side there were flames coming out of the refrigerator vent.
My first move was to disconnect everything on my camper and pull it about 50' away from his.
Then I pulled out my extinguisher (about 3x the common size you see for the home)
When I got back to Ranger Danger's rig there were a bunch of those mini extinguishers on the ground empty and still smoke & flames coming out of the vent. I hit it with mine and it was out except for smoldering insulation.
Someone came up with a water extinguisher and put that out.

The flames were contained to that area but the whole insides is all smoked and gnarly smelling.
I figured I was not going to hang around any longer for the next wave of Gremlins to get loose.

And the dumb arse reason the fire happened was because Ranger Danger replaced the propane fridge with a standard AC powered house model. Nobody bothered to cap off the propane line. So he went to turn on the propane to light up his cooktop and that is when things went to chit.
That could have been a big bang if the mixture was right in the entire camper. He was lucky. He had 4 BBQ size propane bottles in there. 50' may not have been far enough away if the whole rig went up.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I know I have stated this innumerable times to my gas powered bethren out there; change the rubber fuel lines that are any where near your motor and get your motor washed.

Not for the squeamish......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nt-162052.html

Cheers

Tony

I am so glad I saw this thread. Thanks, Tony.

Jenniflow