Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Front wheel blow out

Hi all,

It's been an eventful first day in France. I hadn't planned on stopping in Chalons-en-Champagne; I suppose there could be worse places to be.

Anyhow, we had a front wheel blow out at speed on the French Autoroute today. It's fair to say it was pretty terrifying and could have been so much worse. The family are OK, which is all I could ask for.

The coach is in less good shape. I should be able to sort the new tyre tomorrow or the day afterwards. Note that it was an overspecc'd load range E Michelin, in good shape, less than ten years old, loads of tread and checked for sidewall issues only this week by our strict Government run MOT testers, so defo no visible issues.

The panel behind the wheel is pretty trashed as is some of the trim. There are two things that I am trying to work through so that I can get on with this short vacation. Note that American Motorhome or Truck shops are not a feature of this town in rural France.

I am hoping you might have some ideas on the following:

1) . There is a black heavy duty cable which got tangled and caught up in the remnants of the tyre. I think it might be a ground or possibly for the jack pump. It was wrapped around the drivers side wheel when I came to a stop. See photo

2) . More concerning is that the transmission seems to be playing up. They lashed up a spare tyre and got me off the autoroute and to a local French garage. The transmission seemed to be OK in drive mode, but it is extremely difficult to move the shifter from Drive to Park. It's really really stiff, it will work, but needs some force and was previously really smooth. The same symptom exists moving from neutral to park or reverse to park. It was definitely a consequence of the blow out. I believe there is a transition position sensor, but unfamiliar with where it is or precisely what it does.

On the upside, my little boy is excited to have his first night in a hotel. Previously, he has only ever been camping. Imagine that?

Hope you can help

all the best
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Nick, not a lot I can do to help (especially as I am sitting in Tokyo about to fly back to UK) but just wanted to say glad everyone is Ok.

Must have been terrifying!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow! Glad everyone is ok.

I think 10 years is too old for these tires. Typically they should be replaced after 7 or 8 years, at least that's what I've always heard.

On the transmission issue, does your transmission use the mechanical rod from the bottom of the steering column to the side of the transmission or is it cable operated?

If it uses the mechanical rod, it sounds to me like the linkage might have been damaged/bent by the blow out. I found on my Argosy while installing a modified rod (due to addition of 4L80e) that it was real touchy to get it just right.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I agree with Brad on the possibility of linkage damage. Or possibly something interfering with the linkage.

As far as the mystery cable is concerned, did you get a good look at it? Are you sure it's not your air line to the front bags?

Pictures did not come through Nick.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I agree with Brad on the possibility of linkage damage. Or possibly something interfering with the linkage.

As far as the mystery cable is concerned, did you get a good look at it? Are you sure it's not your air line to the front bags?

Pictures did not come through Nick.
It's also possible the mystery cable is the speedometer cable or the parking brake cable. Both are routed in that general area.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Well, we re glad you guys are ok. If I had to guess, the black cable is the speedo cable. Were you able to get a build date on those tires? I would replace all of them, if they look like a matched set. I will say this, if you got this thing parked outside, then the sun will most likely cook one set of tires more than the other side. That's a contributing factor to tires rotting. Age and heat.
Did the tire shred or blowout. Truckers like michlins because they don't roll over in a turn. The sidewall of the tire is pretty tough. And you can retread them multiple times. So I guess it's good you had one of the best tires, when it happened.
Glad you guys are ok DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi - thanks everyone for your information so far. Here is the a picture of the cables entangled post blow out.

Following from the chassis manual.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MANUAL LINKAGE
When the manual linkage (Figure 8-4) is properly ad- justed, the engine will start in the PARK and NEUTRAL positions only.
The selector lever and manual linkage should move freely and not bind.Also, the pointer on the indicator quadrant should line up properly with the range indicators in all ranges .
Check the linkage to be sure that the connections are secure and that there is no binding.If there are indications that the linkage needs adjustment, take the vehicle to a qualified shop for service. If the linkage is not adjusted properly, an internal leak could occur at the manual valve which could cause a clutch and/or band failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6327.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	348100  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Londonderry , New Hampshire
That looks like the emergency brake cable. I just replaced my cable
and it runs along the top of the wheel well. So it could get caught
and wound around the wheel.

It is a really strong cable so if it got tangled with the wheel it could
pull and bend other stuff on the engine and transmission. That
should all be checked and the cable replaced.
Air345Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Sorry to hear that, and glad everyone is OK!

I can take a look at what I have in that area when I get home

I'm too curious to not ask, how did the coach handle in the blowout? That's something I worry about a fair bit.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Glencoe , Oklahoma
We had a blowout on the driver front in our previous RV. Its scary to say the least. Glad everything turned out OK! After having this incident I talked to our local tire dealers and they advised that a radial tire should be replaced every five years regardless of wear. We have practiced this since and have had no problems with blowouts. Its expensive replacing so often but worth the peace of mind!
JJ1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words.

The coach swerved pretty violently left towards the central reservation, but once i got the speed down to below 40, it became easier to control the steering and bring her to a stop on the hard shoulder. After this experience, I would encourage everyone to replace their tyres regularly, irrespective of tyre wear, side wall damage. My Michelins all looked absolutely fine and had been inspected by our annual Govt inspectors too (and mine are tough on regs). The tyre had pretty much disintegrated with about 40% left.

The banana wrap has been cracked and the exterior lower panel including the trim is severely damaged - does anyone know if the panel/trim is still available?

One of the HWH leads is damaged beyond repair. It isn't leaking, but the rubber has been ripped off and I don't imagine it would work if I tried to use the jacks. The other lead seemed to be a heavy duty ground which comes from the back of the battery tray. I can't fathom why it does this and why they wouldn't connect it to the webbed/metal ground cable..I can only imagine it is for the emergency start, but why run a cable and ground it in the drivers's wheel well?

Anyhow, on reflection, I think it could have been far worse. We're all OK and we would have been in a very serious accident if it had happened during overtaking a lorry.

Bonnes vacances

Nick
Old 08-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words.

The coach swerved pretty violently left towards the central reservation, but once i got the speed down to below 40, it became easier to control the steering and bring her to a stop on the hard shoulder. After this experience, I would encourage everyone to replace their tyres regularly, irrespective of tyre wear, side wall damage. My Michelins all looked absolutely fine and had been inspected by our annual Govt inspectors too (and mine are tough on regs). The tyre had pretty much disintegrated with about 40% left.

The banana wrap has been cracked and the exterior lower panel including the trim is severely damaged - does anyone know if the panel/trim is still available?

One of the HWH leads is damaged beyond repair. It isn't leaking, but the rubber has been ripped off and I don't imagine it would work if I tried to use the jacks. The other lead seemed to be a heavy duty ground which comes from the back of the battery tray. I can't fathom why it does this and why they wouldn't connect it to the webbed/metal ground cable..I can only imagine it is for the emergency start, but why run a cable and ground it in the drivers's wheel well?

Anyhow, on reflection, I think it could have been far worse. We're all OK and we would have been in a very serious accident if it had happened during overtaking a lorry.

Bonnes vacances

Nick

Sounds like you are able to carry on with you vacation Nick?

One thing that really concerns me is although we can get correct speed and load rated tires in Europe, they are not necessarily LT (light truck) tires. Were yours LT tires?

Whilst email chatting with Brad, it appears LT tires have thicker wires in the carcass and also sometimes an additional layer in the construction
Old 08-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Sounds like you are able to carry on with you vacation Nick?

One thing that really concerns me is although we can get correct speed and load rated tires in Europe, they are not necessarily LT (light truck) tires. Were yours LT tires?

Whilst email chatting with Brad, it appears LT tires have thicker wires in the carcass and also sometimes an additional layer in the construction
If they were 19.5s on a 250, wouldn't they be truck rated tires? I'm asking here, I don't know the answer. Makes me wonder about my Hankooks
Old 08-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #14
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
If they were 19.5s on a 250, wouldn't they be truck rated tires? I'm asking here, I don't know the answer. Makes me wonder about my Hankooks
I think the 250 went back to 16" rims (the early 20/24 had 16.5" which folks change to 16").

Peanut and Bella have LT225/75R16 General Grabbers, bought in the US but when they need changing all I can get in Europe is 225/75R13 (dimensional the same) but 'van tires' not LT. These have the load carrying capacity and Continental even make a 'camper' version....but European campers are not dually axled 12000lb rated trucks.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
That's correct, the 250 is a short wheelbase chassis (158.5 inch from memory) which means it has the 16" rims. If you get over about 27" you move to the 19.5" wheels.

In terms of the 250, I was running 235/85/R16 on the fronts which were LT tyres. I am running LT 215/85/R16 on the rears, which are slightly narrower, but avoid any issues with the 235s kissing, which is a well know GM Motorhome issue.

I've actually not had too many issues finding LT or equivalent tyres. It took some research, but they are available, including 7.50 r16 truck tyres.

They have put Hankooks onto the front, although they are rated as 120, which is a serious heavy duty truck tyre, they sound dreadful and probably have terrible gas mileage, but I think they aren't going to crap out on me anytime soon.

all best
Nick
Old 08-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Glencoe , Oklahoma
I run Hancooks on ours. It’s a good tire we haven’t even had a flat in three years we’ve had them. Of course ours are 19.5s Probably somewhat different. Something the previous owner did to ours was a tire pressure monitoring system. It really gives us peace of mind when we’re on a long road trip.
JJ1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
I run Hancooks on ours. It’s a good tire we haven’t even had a flat in three years we’ve had them. Of course ours are 19.5s Probably somewhat different. Something the previous owner did to ours was a tire pressure monitoring system. It really gives us peace of mind when we’re on a long road trip.
Same same, no tps though. Over 30,000 miles on mine, they seem to be in very good shape.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi - for info, the Hankooks they put on are European rated 120/116S. They are load range E Light Truck tyres, so over-rated compared to the stock load range D tyre...
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Airstream 250
at Home , Niedersachsen
Hi Nick

I'm sorry that you had so much bad luck with your bow out tire. It's a pity, that I've just now read that. Because last week I was traveling in France with a friend. (2x250). Whether we really could have helped is another question. We were also safely away from your location. Thankfully, nothing has happened to you and your family.
Until Saturday we were in the Britannie.

I hope for you, that you are mobile again and the further damage is limited.

A blow out on the front axle is certainly the worst case. Nobody wants that. It was with my 250er the first thing I did,
new tires on the front axle (Continental). At the rear axle, I also had a breakdown with the tires early on. There are also now 4 new Michelin (7.50x16 XZE2, 120) on it. For me the best. Unfortunately not in production anymore. Also all wheels got a TPMS. That helped me already with a defective valve. And also with the front brake, which was too hot. So, new brakes at the front. Did you have a spare tire with you?
Because without, I do not go on tour. The long distance to France, I even had two. The thought of what you have is not broken.
Since our last Airstream meeting we also have a Whatsapp group. In this way, we maintain contact and friendship between meetings. this can also be helpful in the event of a breakdown. If you have, and want to participate, send me your number.
250 drivers have to hold together. (and the other AS-driver)
I wish you all the best and a nice holiday despite the breakdown

Peter
split window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #20

Aerzen , Niedersachsen
However two AS250 travelling same route, same speed, same weight conditions with both towing a car trailer behind, it was a perfect occasion to compare tire temperatures as Peters is equipped with 16" but ours is rolling on 19.5" tyres.
There was a magnificant higher temperature on the 16" front tyres!
Amphiranger is offline   Reply With Quote