Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Fire suppression

OK, It's time to get serious again. I am ready to order the components necessary to install the same exact system that I installed in the 325LE. The components cost about $900.00, the labor is the killer. The nitrogen filled foam 2 litre bottle, 4 sprinkler heads, approx. 80' of steel 3/8" line, 3, 3/8" ball valves, I plan on installing this system when I pull the engine, trans, generator, driveshaft, and fuel tank out.....did I forget anything ??? I will have 2 heads on the engine, one in the generator compartment, and one in the refrigerator compartment. Although I documented this with enough pictures in my thread "It's Never Done" I plan on repeating this process again. I am currently getting a quote from Hagerty for an insurance that places the total loss value where I think it should be. As you all know I have invested a lot of my time and dollars into this project and it is only going to increase over the next 2 years to what may seem like an insane amount. Am I insane.....some would say most definitely....Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I've done the volunteer fireman thing for 25 years and a few more in hazmat before common sense and age kicked in.

You cant be labeled insane for being prepared for the worst!

For me, I am using the KISS method, Keep It Simple, Stupid, or is that Keep it Stupid Simple?

With my limited budget, I do my best to be sure I have reduced any sources of problems, that includes the chipmunk chewing through my fuel line, I have exported 7 of the little buggers of the property and added shielding to that line!

My main fire deterrent is to keep a 5 pound or better extinguisher within reach of the drives seat, one near the door, and another in my 4 wheeler.

Other than that, my Battery switch is within one step of the drives seat, and if I cant fix the problem, the door is 3 steps away.

What we do to improve our rigs, is only limited by our funds, our time, our skills and our significant others tolerance of our usage of them.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post

Other than that, my Battery switch is within one step of the drives seat, and if I cant fix the problem, the door is 3 steps away.

A buddy of mine with a Land Rover recommended this product from Lucas.

Name:   IMG_8305.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  51.7 KB

Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post

Attachment 312659

Nope, won't work on our motorhomes. Bottle says its for Positive Earth vehicles only.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post

Attachment 312659

I went looking to buy some, and it seems to be out of stock, but I did find a full description of how it works here:
http://w0nqx.blogspot.com/2016/01/th...c-of-smke.html
Here is part of that text:
Quote:
ELECTRICAL THEORY BY JOSEPH LUCAS

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke".

Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working.

This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing.

For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function.

In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large quantities of smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.
There is more great info on that page