Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Summerville , South Carolina
Feedback please.... does the '82-280 motorhome have any known issues.

We are contemplating a purchase of a 1982 - 280 MH.
Would appreciate any feedback from owners of that year and model regarding any known issues or concerns i should be aware of.
Thanks so much.
Bob & Sue
bosube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Well, Have a good Truck mechanic go over the chassis and running gear very close and thorough

Spend time going over, EVERYTHING

AHHHH, but the rewards are countless, Enjoy

Lay underneath with a good work light and spend a few Hrs. Looking, Observing

Brake and Parking brake's ??? check it all so you know what you are dealing with

and to help YOU determine YOUR price to pay for the unit.

Plan on spending 10 to 25 thousand to get her the way YOU want her.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
search here for the older threads on this.
There are lots of fixable issues that come with any older Airstream, and then you add those that come with any older 454 Chevy P30.
If you are able to repair, maintain and enjoy the uniqueness, these are a great fun, albeit gas guzzling unit.
I enjoyed the heck out of my 280.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Summerville , South Carolina
feedback...

Thanks guys appreciate the help.
Another thought...trailer of the same size vs a MH. Pros and cons.
Thinking fulltiming for the near future. Then perhaps settling back in Colorado. Can I pull a 28' renovated trailer with a '02 trailblazer ext wheelbase model, with straight 6. What the chevy book tells me is the power and torque is there. In reality what do you know.
Again, thanks!
bosube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
We have an '82 280 turbo diesel. It's a pretty nice coach for being 28 years old. The base is a Chev P-30 which is pretty common and does what it is supposed to without too many problems. The Isuzu diesel is a tough engine if you take care of it and treat it as it was designed. Parts can be a challenge but not impossible and the mpg is great compared to the 454 gas. It has a standard Chev A-frame front suspension with a TH-400 trans, very tough, and a Dana 70 rear axle, also pretty tough. It has a rear air suspension by American Carrier which provides a decent ride and is a simple set up. It also has disc brakes front and rear.

I think the aluminum shell holds up fairly well being mounted on the truck frame it isn't exposed to the flexing the trailers experience. It handles fairly well on the highway especially in windy conditions. It is not as tall as many slab sided coaches and doesn't have huge storage compartments under the floor.

The RV systems, heater, refrigerator, water heater, fresh water and holding tank systems are the same as used in most RVs

Probably the best feature of all is the knowledge base, help and friendliness found on this forum.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Unless it comes with a set of service records showing work done, get ready to replace almost everything if you want to trust it to full-timing. We did, and although my wallet was $$$$ lighter, I trust the coach to take us anywhere.
Plus, THEY ARE SO PRETTY!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The trailer-vs-MoHo thing is a question I wrestled with and decided (for myself) already. My thoughts on this are that a) well-maintained trailers last longer than well-maintained motor vehicles, and the drivetrain is the part of your rig that's most likely to need work. So, if you're on some long trek and have engine or transmission problem in a MoHo, you need a motel. If you have a TV/trailer rig, you have your trailer towed to a camping site and your TV towed to a shop for the fix.

With a MoHo, unless you're into bicycling for groceries and such, you'll either need a secondary towed vehicle to travel locally from your campsite or you'll have to unhook and relevel every time you leave and return. You'll have 2 registered/insured motor vehicles so you're probably not saving any money on that front either.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Children of all ages are attracted to a sight like this; trailers do not have such appeal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0200.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	112058  
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Children of all ages are attracted to a sight like this; trailers do not have such appeal.
Aw come on Mike... don't you think you might be a little biased?

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Aw come on Mike... don't you think you might be a little biased?

Cheers, Dan
After 18 years of AS mo/hos, the answer is YES!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We had a 68 Overlander before we bought the MoHo...when the Moho runs, it is way above the Overlander...when it doesn't run, it's a 17,000 pound albatross...but it's OUR albatross, and we wouldn't trade it for the world.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote